MG5 DashCam Wiring

Is there not a fuse puller in the fuse box, there is in the ZS ?
I was going to comment on this very point but I couldn't for the life of me remember whether the one I used came from the MG or my toolbox!

Assume you are talking about fitting a rear camera?
If so, I'd agree. I found his was the trickiest part of routing the cable to my rear camera (y)

When you remove the right hand rubber conduit grommets you will find the body end has thin rubber web taped to the loom plastic conduit. There is however a small gap in the web and I was able pass a cable through the web and the rubber conduit to use as a pull through for the camera cable itself.

How easy that last bit is depends on the size of the plug but the rubber conduit itself is not very big, mine being mini USB plugs it was not easy.

Also when you run the cable along the roof lining make sure you push well towards the middle of the car. This keeps it clear of the curtain airbags so in the case of an accident they can deploy properly.

Last edited:
As you can see from above there are two grommeted flexi conduits to feed the tailgate, I used right Alb used left. Without either of us trying both its not possible to say which is easier. I went for the right as I had to pull down the door seal on the right anyway to get the fuse box cover off and to feed the power cable up the A pillar. The tailgate seal has light grey mastic underneath. I also removed the plastic trim panel at the top of the tailgate to feed the cable out and cut a small notch in it to reduce the pressure on the cable at the back. You would have to know it was there to find it.

Having got the cable into the headlining space at the tailgate I then used a cable puller rod to get it 1st to the back door then again to the front door, each time making sure I routed it clear of the curtain airbags. Finally I removed the courtesy light to pick up the cable from the drivers door and fed it out on the passenger side close to the radar emitter cover around the rear view mirror.

The excess cable for the rear camera I coiled up and tucked it between two foam headliner spacer blocks in front of the courtesy light.

a little tip from the trade with those grommets is to use a long tye wrap with the wire typed to it with the big end cut off, there is little chance of it nicking into anything likewise if there isn't enough space for the tye wrap to pass you won't be able to force it as it will just bend, and if your really stuck try some silicone grease.

As I said my problem was that the rear camera cable was terminated with mini-B USB plugs (one 90°).

To get it through involved alternate stretching and closing the concertina conduit as I pulled the plug backwards. My initial thought was like pulling through a draw string in a waistband.

Second thought was a Boa Constrictor swallowing lunch🐍:D

I never understand why there is no an usb connection at the window for dashcams or even a dashcam installed in situ
The new ZS EV has a usb socket at the window for a dashcam.

With front facing camera for pedestrian/collision protection it doesn't take a leap of logic to feed that into a recorder.
All the cameras are too low a resolution to be of any use.

Last edited:
Installed mine today - followed instructions here, removing just the side panel and pulling fuse with some long nose pliers. Attached earth to a bolt connecting plastic dash to metal structure - seems good enough.

Thanks all 👍

Can anyone give a bit it of advice on the best fuse to piggyback off for these cables. I'm not too sure where or what B+ is. The yellow cable has an inline fuse.
20220724_182217.jpg

Attachments

• 20220724_182131.jpg
    20220724_182131.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 98
I used the Seat movement fuse as this works all the time but this would only apply to the models that have this feature (Exclusive).

The logic was based on this circuit not being monitored by the computer systems.

Same location as the MG GS, but at least the fuse board was easy to access once panel removed. Job for tomorrow I think.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom