MG5 public charging, slow charging

ChrisMG5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all, this is probably me being ignorant so bere with me. We have really used public chargers over the 18months of owning our MG5, and have never had an issue until yesterday. We drove some 180miles, charging once on the M6 on a 50KW no issues, then on the return 180mile journey we tried to charge again when at 30% at a 50KW charger and it gave and error message like "car did something unexpected" we tried the next 50KW charger with same response. Then we connected to a 22KW charger and it charged very very slowly. When we just got home It charge fine on our 7KW home charger. Do the MGs only allow one high or super charge before having to charge on a lower voltage?

You should be able to use Rapid chargers all the time, a lot of people do who don't have a home EVSE.
A 22kWh ia a fast EVSE AC and you would only get it to power at 7kWh as the MG5 is not 3 phase.

Might have been faulty chargers or older chargers that don't like the bigger batteries. Was the 22kw charger a dc or ac one?

You should be able to use Rapid chargers all the time, a lot of people do who don't have a home EVSE.
A 22kWh ia a fast EVSE AC and you would only get it to power at 7kWh as the MG5 is not 3 phase.
Well the tecos Podpoint charger said 22kw on it but it was very slow, unfortunately the MG5 or the charger doesn't tell you what rate the car is charging, I suspect your right 7KW or less.
Thanks

Well the tecos Podpoint charger said 22kw on it but it was very slow, unfortunately the MG5 or the charger doesn't tell you what rate the car is charging, I suspect your right 7KW or less.
Thanks
Whilst charging, switch the car on as usual, footbrake and press ON (it's OK it won't go into ready mode). Once you have cleared any warnings by clicking OK on the steering wheel, then click down 3 times on the right side of the wheel and it will show the voltage, amps etc.. -16/17 amps is charging normal(ish) for a 7kW EVSE. Remember Watts = Volts x Amps, so you can work it out from the screen.
You can also see the amount of regen or power used when driving by having this screen on display whilst the car is slowing/driving. Negative numbers are charging, positive are discharging.

Whilst charging, switch the car on as usual, footbrake and press ON (it's OK it won't go into ready mode). Once you have cleared any warnings by clicking OK on the steering wheel, then click down 3 times on the right side of the wheel and it will show the voltage, amps etc.. -16/17 amps is charging normal(ish) for a 7kW EVSE. Remember Watts = Volts x Amps, so you can work it out from the screen.
You can also see the amount of regen or power used when driving by having this screen on display whilst the car is slowing/driving. Negative numbers are charging, positive are discharging.
Many thanks will do.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom