MG5 raised boot cover

Tom McConnell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have raised the boot cover/carpet on my MG5 by 10cm using 2*5cm thick closed call foam blocks, 2m * 1.2m in size

This is the closed call foam I bought.
Amazon product ASIN B077JGZXR6
I cut it to 100cm wide and 85cm deep ( front to back) and cut out the center to make a storage area and cut off two diagonal pieces at the boot lip so it would fit better. This was repeated with the remaining foam block from the same sheet.

I also bought a 4mm sheet of Correx (corrugated plastic) , 2.4m * 1.2m , which is the same material used as the backing to stiffen the carpet cover. I will use this as extra support for the carpet cover. Amazon product ASIN B074SY1X5R
Here are 3 photos, 1st with a single 5cm foam block and the 2nd with 2 foam blocks (charging cable in the new storsge area) and the 3rd with the rear seats folded down and seat swab removed so completely flat.

There is still a small lip up to the seat backs which an additional thinner foam sheet would fix or additional piece of correx.

Enjoy,

Attachments

• 631C97BF-870F-466E-B616-CA3E0D820758.jpeg
    631C97BF-870F-466E-B616-CA3E0D820758.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 366
  • E6DD3724-FDB9-4475-B494-40EE5FE80BF2.jpeg
    E6DD3724-FDB9-4475-B494-40EE5FE80BF2.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 377
  • 673F4240-ABB4-4AFB-A912-E80E6219CC53.jpeg
    673F4240-ABB4-4AFB-A912-E80E6219CC53.jpeg
    615 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
I have raised the boot cover/carpet on my MG5 by 10cm using 2*5cm thick closed call foam blocks, 2m * 1.2m in size

I cut it to 100cm wide and 85cm deep ( front to back) and cut out the center to make a storage area and cut off two diagonal pieces at the boot lip so it would fit better. This was repeated with the remaining foam block from the same sheet.

I also bought a 4mm sheet of Correx (corrugated plastic) , 2.4m * 1.2m , which is the same material used as the backing to stiffen the carpet cover. I will use this as extra support for the carpet cover. Amazon product ASIN B074SY1X5R
Here are 3 photos, 1st with a single 5cm foam block and the 2nd with 2 foam blocks (charging cable in the new storsge area) and the 3rd with the rear seats folded down and seat swab removed so completely flat.

There is still a small lip up to the seat backs which an additional thinner foam sheet would fix or additional piece of correx.

Enjoy,
Hi Tom nice job can I ask how did you remove the rear seat swab ?
Thank you
Les

Removing the rear seat swab is easy, just lift the front up and a couple of metal retaining lugs at the front of each seat section will release and then lift the front up more and move it forward. There is a single retaining lug in the centre of the rear of the swab that slides under the seat back.

The seat swab does have to be removed from position to fold the seat backs flat.

Tom

My next job is to use the foam off cuts to create an extra layer between the two 5cm thick foam layers, so the carpet will be raised some more. I will use spray contact adhesive to glue the three layers together to create one foam spacer.

Removing the rear seat swab is easy, just lift the front up and a couple of metal retaining lugs at the front of each seat section will release and then lift the front up more and move it forward. There is a single retaining lug in the centre of the rear of the swab that slides under the seat back.

The seat swab does have to be removed from position to fold the seat backs flat.

Tom
Thanks for the info Tom
Les

The seat swab does have to be removed from position to fold the seat backs Flat
Hi tom sorry to trouble you again with this one but I have pulled & pushed the rear seat swab on my MG5 and it won’t move so I’m asking if possible could you post a short video or some pictures of this happening for me and others in the forum many thanks
Les

Hi Les, Sure I can do that.

Currently the MG5 is off the road due to the air conditioning having failed and awaiting parts from China which may take a month. So it is stuck at the dealer. The air con also cools the battery which is essential.

The rear seat swab just needs a firm tug upwards from the middle of each seat.

Hi tom ok I’ll have another pull so sorry to hear of the problem with the car and hope you get it sorted sooner than later A month you say that’s bad news I hope MG have given you a load car
Les

Hi tom ok I’ll have another pull so sorry to hear of the problem with the car and hope you get it sorted sooner than later A month you say that’s bad news I hope MG have given you a load car
Les
I am told that the parts will arrive at the dealer from China on Monday or Tuesday and the car will be available by end of play Thursday.....hopefully ! 😝

Enjoy,
Great work, is that with the rear bench removed? 😊

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom