• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Tow bar again

Neil Fellows

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I'm still confused! I'm pretty sure you can't fit a tow bar to the MG5 but a local MG dealership has just confirmed you can. I'd be looking to tow a small trailer so nothing major.

Does anyone else have any further info please? Much appreciated.

I'm still confused! I'm pretty sure you can't fit a tow bar to the MG5 but a local MG dealership has just confirmed you can. I'd be looking to tow a small trailer so nothing major.

Are they willing to fit one for you? Could be a bit of a can of worms for insurance etc.

Yes, they said they could fit it. I'd rather get approval from MG themselves, and I have a feeling they'll say no.

My only other option is roof bars with a bag, up to 35KG.

Hi Neil there is another thread with regard to this entitled Tow for MG5 which may help you here’s what I wrote on it the other day
Les

Hi Annette little confused here, under your name in your profile it say driving MG ZS Ev but the tittle in this thread is Tow Bar on MG5
So if it is the MG5 you are asking about as far as I know there is No towbar available to fit the MG5, and also the car is not rated for it so you could have an insurance issue if you was to fit one if you could find one that would fit

If your asking about the ZS there is a tow-bar available for the petrol car don’t know about the EV might fit but again you would have to check if the EV is rated for one or not I don’t know maybe your dealer might help you but if it’s not rated then again insurance could be problematic sorry can’t be more Precise.

I think who ever said you could may be quoting the details of the new MG5 which is rumoured to be coming to the UK later this or early next year and is quoted as being able to be fitted with a towing equipment
Les

Hi Neil there is another thread with regard to this entitled Tow for MG5 which may help you here’s what I wrote on it the other day
Les

Hi Annette little confused here, under your name in your profile it say driving MG ZS Ev but the tittle in this thread is Tow Bar on MG5
So if it is the MG5 you are asking about as far as I know there is No towbar available to fit the MG5, and also the car is not rated for it so you could have an insurance issue if you was to fit one if you could find one that would fit

If your asking about the ZS there is a tow-bar available for the petrol car don’t know about the EV might fit but again you would have to check if the EV is rated for one or not I don’t know maybe your dealer might help you but if it’s not rated then again insurance could be problematic sorry can’t be more Precise.

I think who ever said you could may be quoting the details of the new MG5 which is rumoured to be coming to the UK later this or early next year and is quoted as being able to be fitted with a towing equipment
Les
Hi Les,

Many thanks for the information, greatly appreciated. My current car (a Ford S-Max) is on its last legs and with an upcoming long distance holiday on the horizon I'd ideally like to get the MG5 as soon as possible. I'ld like to hold out for the facelift but no idea when it will arrive.

I asked MG and a couple of towbar companies, even a towbar that is only used for bikes and not for towing and the answer was no.

Do Roewe do a towbar for the i5 or iE5? I can't see one mentioned on the website, but I can't find the accessories pages. If they do then the answer is to import that and fit it yourself - probably no need for the lighting connection to carry a bike (it's not a legal requirement so long as the lights and numberplate are visible to a car behind - the numberplate can be strapped to the bike.
If there is a Roewe part I'd be up for joining anyone else interested in importing a small batch of them.

Do Roewe do a towbar for the i5 or iE5? I can't see one mentioned on the website, but I can't find the accessories pages. If they do then the answer is to import that and fit it yourself - probably no need for the lighting connection to carry a bike (it's not a legal requirement so long as the lights and numberplate are visible to a car behind - the numberplate can be strapped to the bike.
If there is a Roewe part I'd be up for joining anyone else interested in importing a small batch of them.
But if MG in this country officially say you cannot fit a towbar then you would void your insurance surely?

possibly, but only a problem if you had an accident while towing something - which I don't want to do. I'm not proposing to fit a tow bar as such, just a rear mounted bike carrier which happens to use the mounting points for a tow bar (if they exist, which I suspect they do).

possibly, but only a problem if you had an accident while towing something - which I don't want to do. I'm not proposing to fit a tow bar as such, just a rear mounted bike carrier which happens to use the mounting points for a tow bar (if they exist, which I suspect they do).
That's exactly what I wanted. But when I asked MG and a towbar fitting company, I think its the only one that does those for bikes for EV's, forget their name. The answer was two big NO'S. So I'd be happy if you legally found an answer as I too would like one. Instead I got a roof rack for my bike

The Leaf is not rated for towing but one of the companies did list one (Brink, Witter?) specifically for bike carriers as stated in the description.

One reason some hybrids and electrics couldn't tow was because the spare wheel well had been replaced by the battery pack and the bolt holes weren't accessible. Not an issue with MG5

Perhaps Brink could do one for the MG5 if asked.

The last time I investigated getting a tow bar fitted to my car was when I had the misfortune to own a Skoda Yeti. I remember reaching such a point of teeth-grinding despair with the wretched thing that I asked the dealer if they could fit a tow bar. On the front...

I've been told that the tow bar for Chevrolet CRUZE might work with MG5 (with some modifications) as it's the same platform. I might give this a go, as i would like to use the car for transporting my moped.

I've been told that the tow bar for Chevrolet CRUZE might work with MG5 (with some modifications) as it's the same platform. I might give this a go, as i would like to use the car for transporting my moped.
Do be sure to let us know how you get on...

Hi Neil I was advised by the towbar fitter to look at the weight info on drivers door panel and if towing weight is zero you can't tow or if you do as others have said you will compromise your insurance

Your dealer is the ones that’s confused mk1 2019-2021 MG5 no towing allowed as stated above, mk2 October 2022 onwards 500 kg can be towed with a tow bar, tow bar can also be used with a cycle carrier but I think this has a limit of 50 kg, this is the updated model without the grille on the front also know as the SE or Trophy models

So if your car is the excite or the exclusive model it cannot Tow

Roof bars
Early models 51 kw 35kg only
LR models 75 KG
The new updated model Oct 2022 onwards
both models 75 kg
Les

Last edited:
The LEAF couldn't tow but one was available from Brink (PF Jones). 0 towing but 52Kg load for bike racks only.

The trouble is the abilities of the material in a tow bar are irrelevant as steel has shear and tensile strength are in the region of 100's of tone per square inch. Its more to do with the mounting point and the effect of the dynamics of the car.

The LEAF couldn't tow but one was available from Brink (PF Jones). 0 towing but 52Kg load for bike racks only.

The trouble is the abilities of the material in a tow bar are irrelevant as steel has shear and tensile strength are in the region of 100's of tone per square inch. Its more to do with the mounting point and the effect of the dynamics of the car.
Hi I agree with the post above but as for Brink ( PF Jones) selling one they won’t be Rated and anyone fitting one to a vehicle any vehicle that is not rated to have towing equipment fitted would not be insured
Les

The tow bar manufacturer HAS to rate them to some extent as all towbars have to have a rating plate of some sort. The PF Jones site has those rating on it and it is extremely unlikely they would have come up with the figures themselves

About the only fitters that did were Watling at St Albans who were very active in the motorhome area and they were classed as motor engineers rather than fitters. They would design and manufacture bars themselves for anything that didn't have an off the shelf product. Unfortunately they closed down a little while ago although the owner is still selling off any stock he has.

The LEAF was not homologated to tow in the EU but it was in the USA. So rating the towbar makes sense as the drawings from Nissan probably showed a meaningful limit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom