MGZS EV Trophy LR 173miles range on 100% charge?! Normal for city driving?

mairita

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
We were offered a cancelled order for a same spec car, as the one we had down on order was not even manufactured yet, so we accepted it and received the car Dec 10th. We didn’t have a charge point installed as the car’s ETA was at least 3months from when status changes to shipped, and with the holidays in the midst we only managed to arrange an install for January 9th. We have had it for a couple of weeks now and have charged it about 5 times in total but for a long range we have not seen even a single charge over 200miles. The highest we ever had was 193miles i think. We have been charging to 100% to see if we get anything close to the upper range, but no luck.
Today on 100% charge it’s 173miles on the app and 163miles on the dashboard 🤔🫤
Do you think there is any chance ive been given a standard range instead of a long range or faulty battery? I know it’s cold but this is a 100mile drop in battery range than the advertised range for a LR. All paper work and registration say long range..but don’t know what to think.
I have an appointment to fix the handles on the passenger side which both don’t unlock from the inside, noticed the issue at the pick up of the car, which wasnt a great start, and i will mention the range issue then, but any information would be helpful to be armed with for the appointment.

Attachments

• 914E4CC1-9B1B-449E-A5AB-2B5244FE4DB8.jpeg
    914E4CC1-9B1B-449E-A5AB-2B5244FE4DB8.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 94689628-1B65-4046-8F38-C8E48B69B899.png
    94689628-1B65-4046-8F38-C8E48B69B899.png
    724.1 KB · Views: 144
Try resetting the trip counters as they are used to calculate The GOM.
Charge up overnight and let the battery balance then try it in the morning but turn off fan and AC etc.

There is another thread on the forum about the weight of the vehicle. The standard range is lighter than the long range.

Try resetting the trip counters as they are used to calculate The GOM.
Charge up overnight and let the battery balance then try it in the morning but turn off fan and AC etc.
I’ll try this tonight and see if it shows anything different.
Are you sure it is the LR ? I charged mine today to 100% and I had 284 miles on the gom. I've done a 100 mile trip and I still have 194 left on the gom.
This is incredible and more so what I was expecting, maybe around 220-230miles due to cold weather but Ive seen nowhere near 200mile range and it’s worrying me - either battery issue or ive been in some way swindled. Registration of vehicle says long range and all contract paper work too. I even emailed MG with the vehicle serial number and asked them to check their factory logs but basically got nothing from them, they said check with your dealer.
There is another thread on the forum about the weight of the vehicle. The standard range is lighter than the long range.
I am not aware of a way to check the weight of my vehicle to compare?

The weight is on the badge on the door sill. Found the thread.

Forget predicted range what is the actual mileage you get? 163 miles would be about 2.4 miles per kWh which if you're doing lots of short trips in the cold and don't drive particularly efficiently would be about right.
Good luck with the handles I'm still waiting for mine!

Forget predicted range what is the actual mileage you get? 163 miles would be about 2.4 miles per kWh which if you're doing lots of short trips in the cold and don't drive particularly efficiently would be about right.
^ What they said.
Sounds like you are doing lots of shorter trips, each heating the car up from cold. The heater uses a disproportionate amount of battery on short journeys. Once the car is up to temperature on a longer trip the average efficiency goes up. The range estimate just reflects your previous usage.

As a quick comparison, I charged our long range to 100% last night and here is the predicted range, with both trips reset.
I have will include a picture of the current ambient temperature.

FC753B18-9985-47EE-9555-B794DE39D881.jpeg

872DF593-E4B8-431B-A7FD-B91FB61DE3AB.jpeg

2B86D2BB-FD97-4662-BF6C-1AB1E4E269FA.jpeg

Last edited:
My usual charging routine is charge to 80% SOC the majority of the time.
Better weather will predict a range of around 211 - 212 miles.
Here is a couple of photos taken from last week displaying the predicted range.
Trips reset of course.

B9A45A33-84BC-4255-A29E-EA1A45CE0D87.jpeg

D20D3DE7-936A-4FF3-B8A9-87E635C0DD39.jpeg

We do about 75miles a week and it brings the battery down to 30%. I do warm up the car in the morning remotely and use kers 1 but put it on eco driving mode.
On the battery management the LR can be set to 80% or 100% etc, on the SR you cannot adjust the charging %
That’s reassuring as i can adjust the battery management setting on the app, wasn't aware that on the SR you cant.
My usual charging routine is charge to 80% SOC the majority of the time.
Better weather will predict a range of around 211 - 212 miles.
Here is a couple of photos taken from last week displaying the predicted range.
Trips reset of course.

View attachment 14870

View attachment 14871
Thank you for the figures, im doing a 30mile journey tomorrow to drop off the car for the handles repair; it’s on 94% today after 8miles use, predicting 161miles range. I want to see the difference with motorway driving and compare. Ill reset the counter before the trip and see what it says.

Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate your time and help.

We were offered a cancelled order for a same spec car, as the one we had down on order was not even manufactured yet, so we accepted it and received the car Dec 10th. We didn’t have a charge point installed as the car’s ETA was at least 3months from when status changes to shipped, and with the holidays in the midst we only managed to arrange an install for January 9th. We have had it for a couple of weeks now and have charged it about 5 times in total but for a long range we have not seen even a single charge over 200miles. The highest we ever had was 193miles i think. We have been charging to 100% to see if we get anything close to the upper range, but no luck.
Do you think there is any chance ive been given a standard range instead of a long range or faulty battery? I know it’s cold but this is a 100mile drop in battery range than the advertised range for a LR. All paper work and registration say long range..but don’t know what to think.
I have an appointment to fix the handles on the passenger side which both don’t unlock from the inside, noticed the issue at the pick up of the car, which wasnt a great start, and i will mention the range issue then, but any information would be helpful to be armed with for the appointment.
I was getting 240 back in August when I got the car, now in Feb it’s only 185. I’m assuming it’s just because it’s colder and the number will increase as we move into the Spring.

Tap on the battery bar in the App. You should get a screen like this which tells you the battery status. And if you had the LR

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204_120019_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_120019_MG iSMART.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 127
I had exactly the same issue but somebody on here said reset the trip meter after charging and hey presto every time I do I get the correct mileage

I had exactly the same issue but somebody on here said reset the trip meter after charging and hey presto every time I do I get the correct mileage
You get the default mileage, not an accurate prediction based on your previous driving and weather. :)

I've the original ZS EV (2020) battery. The only way for reasonable mileage during winter months is with the heater/AC off! nb. if I compare summer (in town driving) to winter the drop for me is approx 35-40% So in e-mode I can squeeze 120m. As for the Large battery model your figures may not be so bad?

I've the original ZS EV (2020) battery. The only way for reasonable mileage during winter months is with the heater/AC off! nb. if I compare summer (in town driving) to winter the drop for me is approx 35-40% So in e-mode I can squeeze 120m. As for the Large battery model your figures may not be so bad?
I think it is sensible when considering an EV is to calculate / consider strongly, the real world winter range of that car.
This is going to be the worst case scenario.
If this suits your usage pattern in the winter period, then it will be MORE than enough for your summer usage.
Also, if you intend to keep the car longer term, then it is also worth building in some redundancy for any battery generation as the time passes by.
Or, be prepared to be carrying out more charging sessions, that may mean being more reliant on the flakey public charging infrastructure.

Thats not the 'true' mileage, but a default setting (WLTP expected range), this will be the reading you get everytime you reset your trip counters... Your real estimate is what comes from your driving and this is what is shown when the trips arn't reset and the car has data about your driving style, settings ect.. The readings will always be lower, and sometimes vastly so if driving short distances in cold weather.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom