• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

More car maths and battery capacity not what it should be....

Paulie68

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Following on from my post where I suggested the car was not good at maths, I've been paying attention to range and figures.

Now the weather is warmer and range is back up, I'm suspecting the last BMS update might have restricted battery capacity available for use more than expected.

My useage following the last full charge including balance (starting at 449V) has given me 168.1 miles with 2% left as shown by the car on commencing charging.

So pro rata to 100% would give 171.53 miles.

Well that's quite good isn't it? Well... yes and no, last year in similar weather shortly after getting the car, a similar driving pattern was getting me well over 180 miles, (this being on the original 456V version BMS).

The car has recorded 4.4 m/kWh, over the last 168 miles, so we are talking what it's done down to 2%, not a GOM figure at half charge. This works out to a battery capacity of just short of 39 kWh!

So we are back to either the car reports the wrong useage figure, battery capacity has been curtailed by the last BMS, or I'm seeing some degradation at 14k miles. Maybe it's a combination? (I've only rapid charged about 8 times in the last 15 months, for reference.)

At the first service last January, at about 11k driven, it did state 100% battery health in the check box, but I don't know if that was actually checked, or just filled in anyway.

What are others seeing at present with actual mileage achieved vs consumption shown?

I have the factory 456 volt bms ...and today a long trip.. highway full loaded with camping equipment 😊. And my range was 288 km with the airco off👌

All this blithering on about a few miles of range! It’s not referred to as guess o meter for no reason. Go a bit faster and you lose a few miles. That’s life with an ev, or all cars for that matter.

We're not talking about the GOM here, this is the actual figure recorded by the car over time for mileage already done.

If you're not interested in discussing this topic, and have nothing constructive to add to our "blithering" why don't you take the advice that hopefully your mother taught you. If you've nothing good to say, it's better to say nothing. ;)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom