• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

More EV infrastructure unpreparedness. (Techie though)

Fluffykins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Electric car chargers will have to include secure boot and automatic network disconnection if unsigned software runs on the smart devices – but only from 2023, the British government has said.

New security requirements for smart chargers won't be enforced until the last day of this year, according to government papers reviewed by The Register.

More here:

Secure boot for UK electric car chargers isn't mandatory until 2023 – but why the delay? • The Register Forums

Meanwhile I seem to be able to use any petrol pump, anywhere, with impunity and no app, no website, no RFID card and no phone. Talk about stepping backwards.

Electric car chargers will have to include secure boot and automatic network disconnection if unsigned software runs on the smart devices – but only from 2023, the British government has said.

New security requirements for smart chargers won't be enforced until the last day of this year, according to government papers reviewed by The Register.

More here:

Secure boot for UK electric car chargers isn't mandatory until 2023 – but why the delay? • The Register Forums

Meanwhile I seem to be able to use any petrol pump, anywhere, with impunity and no app, no website, no RFID card and no phone. Talk about stepping backwards.
Errrrrr....... Could somebody explain in plain English just what this is all about please? Specifically what does the first part of the first sentence mean? Does this mean that I will no longer be able to rock up at a public charger and just use my credit/debit card to charge? (I don't have a smartphone with all the apps and ballyhoo that goes with it)
Many thanks

Errrrrr....... Could somebody explain in plain English just what this is all about please? Specifically what does the first part of the first sentence mean? Does this mean that I will no longer be able to rock up at a public charger and just use my credit/debit card to charge? (I don't have a smartphone with all the apps and ballyhoo that goes with it)
Many thanks
It means current charge points are not, by and large, particularly secure. Probably on a similar level to using a poundshop padlock to secure your back door. Legislation requiring something more like a Yale cylinder lock is coming but it's a mystery why that was never a requirement in the first place.

That's to ensure rogue software can't fleece your contactless/rfid details. So is a step in the correct direction.

More here:

Unless of course you use an automatic petrol pump and use a charge card………

It most definitely should have been a requirement for public charging devices to include security measures to prevent unscrupulous types from skimming your data. At least they have woken up.

Be nice if they were all forced to add contactless payment options too, I'm not sure if contactless supports pay at pump style temporary fund reserving until complete. The multitude of apps and cards I've accumulated is insane and I don't even have the car yet.

It means current charge points are not, by and large, particularly secure. Probably on a similar level to using a poundshop padlock to secure your back door. Legislation requiring something more like a Yale cylinder lock is coming but it's a mystery why that was never a requirement in the first place.
Thank you for the explanation.

It most definitely should have been a requirement for public charging devices to include security measures to prevent unscrupulous types from skimming your data. At least they have woken up.

Be nice if they were all forced to add contactless payment options too, I'm not sure if contactless supports pay at pump style temporary fund reserving until complete. The multitude of apps and cards I've accumulated is insane and I don't even have the car yet.
We all wanted contactless payment and now its being used on more EV charging stations, but with the £100 limit my bank requires pin imput about every 5 uses or if there is unusual use i.e. trying to get an EV unit to start. When I went in the bank to ask if they could stop this as it had stopped me from charging on a couple of times, they said no but would make my credit card contactless so I had a choice (which I havn't used yet) you wait the first time I try it will have been so long not being used it will require a pin input. I do not have a smart phone which stops me having apps, although the local car parks in town are now using apps to pay for parking, so I just go to the out of town shopping centres. So who is losing out?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom