Mustn't Grumble šŸ˜Š

All I will say is enjoy your test of the MG5 EV and I hope like me you will find it to be an excellent and suprising car and buy one as a result.

I have thoroughly enjoyed driving every mile and find it even more relaxing to drive than my Bentley.

Remember in the 1970s the cars from Japan were considered to be junk?

Always keep open mind and prepare to be suprised and don`t fall for all the marketing hype

Good luck with your search for a good EV

They are far from junk, they are great value for money and a real positive move in to the world of EV driving. At nearly two years in and 25000 miles on the clock all the car has cost me so far is Ā£136 for my first service, which included all my software updates and another 12 months AA membership included for free. After being a Volvo XC90 owner for years i can tell you thatā€™s it is far from junk and I would happily buy another if or when I can afford to upgrade to the new 273 miles version when itā€™s out in November this year. At least the MGā€™s do not catch fire like some of the other manufacturers out there, but hay ho good luck with your Fordā€¦
Also Mark, don't forget you get a free Morris cuddly Bear :cool:

All I will say is enjoy your test of the MG5 EV and I hope like me you will find it to be an excellent and suprising car and buy one as a result.

I have thoroughly enjoyed driving every mile and find it even more relaxing to drive than my Bentley.

Remember in the 1970s the cars from Japan were considered to be junk?

Always keep open mind and prepare to be suprised and don`t fall for all the marketing hype

Good luck with your search for a good EV
I am going for a drive and have been contacted by 'call agent 1' but think I'll wait until the facelift ZS is in the showrooms as my nearest dealer is 19 miles away and despite everything I'd love to find that the ZS was big enough for my rc planes.
I've now spent many hours looking at video reviews of the 5 and haven't heard a bad word against it there apart from some finding the looks a bit bland.

It's a bit academic really as neither of the dealers I've contacted has bothered to show any interest.
Which, sadly, seems to reflect a lot of the experiences related by forum members.
When I ordered mine the nice lady said she had a 6 week waiting list just to see her, their phone was ringing off the hook with all lights on the phone exchange and people were queuing outside to see someone!

I don't really think they have time due to unprecedented demand.

Now homing in on a Ford Mustang Mach E....rather more expensive but more predictable quality and support.
You better not look at Sandy Munroe's strip down of the Mach E then! He IS the expert and was not very complimentary on its design & future reliability!

I've already given up on one of those.

Will have test drive of MG5 shortly.
SAIC who make the MG manufacture a lot of the components & batteries for European Manufacturers. I'd say their quality is top end, it's just their finish which is 10 years behind.

They also manufacture more cars & EVs than many other manufactures without any issues of reliability.

I've thoroughly enjoyed driving a Mitsu Outlander phev for the last 6 years but now in the process of going bev and was initially attracted to the apparent value of MG ev cars.

Unfortunately, after only a couple of weeks participating in this forum I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that from a quality point of view these cars are junk.

Now homing in on a Ford Mustang Mach E....rather more expensive but more predictable quality and support.

Maybe it's true that the quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten.
Hmm, I came from the PHEV too and can't agree with your analysis. The poor paintwork, battery performance and GOM issues are legendary for the Outlander. Nevertheless, it was a fine vehicle in terms of comfort, space, towing facility and four-wheel drive but it was not cheap neither were servicing and spares. The MG is not in the same realm, so if you were seeking a replacement you definitely were misinformed. My son is a Level-4 qualified EV technician and points to the Volvo as a nearer replacement for the Outlander, not the Ford, but I find the MG good on quality, comfort and performance, adequately meeting my reduced requirements and at a price that is exceptional for what you get. The big plus with the Outlander was that it gave me an excellent exchange value meaning the MG5 Exite SR cost me just over Ā£5000 to buy.

I chose MG ZS ev for my wife to replace Auris hybrid. I ordered a Ford Kuga ST hybrid (Ā£37k) August 20 expecting it in September 20. Got delayed, and delayed, until dealer told me end of November it would be March 21; so I cancelled. Had been reviewing ev's of all makes and the MG ZS came up time and again as great value. So on Friday 27th November I ordered from Cowow (Chorley Motors at Burnley) and picked-up from Burnley complete with my personal plates fitted on the following Monday 30th November!
No warranty issues at all in past year, and, as a result of how useful (and cost effective) this vehicle has been I have done 4k less miles in my L200; which was my daily drive.
As a landlord I have found it amazingly good at what I can stuff into it!
I still need my truck for carting sofas around etc but the MG has been brilliant!
Conservatively the car has saved me over Ā£800 in not having to use the truck over this period.
So I'm happy with the quality to the point I am considering replacing the L200 with MG5.

Hmm, I came from the PHEV too and can't agree with your analysis. The poor paintwork, battery performance and GOM issues are legendary for the Outlander. Nevertheless, it was a fine vehicle in terms of comfort, space, towing facility and four-wheel drive but it was not cheap neither were servicing and spares. The MG is not in the same realm, so if you were seeking a replacement you definitely were misinformed. My son is a Level-4 qualified EV technician and points to the Volvo as a nearer replacement for the Outlander, not the Ford, but I find the MG good on quality, comfort and performance, adequately meeting my reduced requirements and at a price that is exceptional for what you get. The big plus with the Outlander was that it gave me an excellent exchange value meaning the MG5 Exite SR cost me just over Ā£5000 to buy.
Thanks for that Mike, I haven't had any advice on a replacement and not really looking for a straight type replacement - still going through the battle between emotion and common sense, and as the dozens of hours of research get logged common sense is gaining the upper hand so Mustang has bolted and I'm still anchored here and going for MG 5 test drive tomorrow.

Fortunately I've suffered none of the issues you mention with the Outlander, the paintwork is as good as new (maybe the Gen3 Glasscoat helped), battery still good for 25 real miles on a good day, gom as accurate as any, especially after my recent reset.

Like you part ex offers extremely good, amazing for such a duffer of a car šŸ˜‰

I've thoroughly enjoyed driving a Mitsu Outlander phev for the last 6 years but now in the process of going bev and was initially attracted to the apparent value of MG ev cars.

Unfortunately, after only a couple of weeks participating in this forum I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that from a quality point of view these cars are junk.

Maybe it's true that the quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten.
They are a budget car correct but they've never professed to be high end. Ford Europe are well built but that cannot be said for the US ones, many are just a polished bag of spanners....if you speak to some Tesla drivers they will say the finish on them are shocking

When Sandy Munroe lifted the bonnet of the Mach-E he said oh dear what a mess! Apparently there's over 100 parts and numerous rubber pipes on the HVAC whereas on the Tesla its a single part. Worse than anything he's seen, many parts that fail easy (see below)

1635608724255.png

versus Tesla

1635608811333.png

And even the Mg

1635608910424.png

That story repeats on many other aspects of the Mach-E making it an overly complex car that will fail often as it ages

Thanks Biffo...and indeed all of you who have responded.

Yes, I was deliberately hoping to provoke reactions and apologise for upsetting anyone in the process.

I've probably spent too much time trawling the MG forum and have to admit getting a bit depressed reading so many tales of woe, admittedly mostly not in respect of the model I'm primarily interested in.

Thanks again for your responses. Your comments re price / value propositions of the likes of the Mach E are perfectly valid although the (achievable) range of the extended range rwd model is extremely attractive so I will gaze longingly at one in a showroom soon.
While I'm awaiting the MG5 test drive I've requested.
Hi Jim, Iā€™m in the same boat looking for an EV at the moment. In fact I ordered a Skoda Enyaq in June and havenā€™t a clue when Iā€™ll get it! From what Iā€™m reading on the VW and Skoda forums, had the id.3 and Enyaq been ICE vehicles, the owners would have been standing outside the brand HQ with flaming torches and pick forks with all the issue they are having with their EVā€™s!
In fairness to MG, yes the ZS is cheap, yes it may have niggles and yes, in some peoples eyes it may not be perfect, but from what Iā€™ve read it doesnā€™t appear as ā€œflakeyā€ as other marques. If the new ZS EV is as good as I hope, Iā€™m cancelling the Skoda and will order one. At least MG can tell you when it will most likely arriveā€¦ā€¦.

Having owned a LEAF I can tell you the list of woes is just the same! If you read other forums on other EVs you also read the same woes. If you go on a Vauxhall Astra forum, guess what, same but different woes!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom