• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Mustn't Grumble 😊

JimB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I've thoroughly enjoyed driving a Mitsu Outlander phev for the last 6 years but now in the process of going bev and was initially attracted to the apparent value of MG ev cars but a lot of the comments on the forum relating to issues with them led me to believe that the cars were low quality.

Following a lot of research outside the forum and my test drive of a MG 5 impressed so unsure whether to wait for the facelift model in 2022 or jump on the facelift ZS EV bandwagon.

Edited.

Last edited:
Yeah...and we all know what the "predictable quality and support" will be like from Ford 😂.
I guess a lot here will have been there and done that and come to the MG solution,
however, cheerio and enjoy your Ford ....... 👍.
You pay more, then it is only natural that you SHOULD expect more !.
But this is NOT always, unfortunately the case.
How long have the Ford Tech's ( if any ) been working on full Ev's ?.
Just consider that this people where one of the LAST people to attend the Ev party.
Ford's records on dealing with EV customer compliant issues, is totally unknown or unfounded yet.
The system has NOT been tested yet, so I would be very reluctant to sing their praises to highly just yet.

As said above, junk is a strong word.

I wonder how you came to this conclusion? I haven't heard of any MGs randomly falling to pieces at the side of the road, nor collapse into a pile of rust (both things that Fords were well known for, as well as countless other "upmarket" brands). The electrics are sound, unlike every French car I've ever driven. The dealership/service experience can be a bit patchy...welcome to almost every dealership on the planet.

Are they perfect vehicles? No.
Do they have some issues? Probably.
Is it every vehicle with issues? Don't be silly.
Are they similar to many other marques? Yup.
Could they be better? Of course.
Are you guaranteed your choice is going to be better?

Be sure to let us know how that works out for you 👍

I've thoroughly enjoyed driving a Mitsu Outlander phev for the last 6 years but now in the process of going bev and was initially attracted to the apparent value of MG ev cars.

Unfortunately, after only a couple of weeks participating in this forum I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that from a quality point of view these cars are junk.

Now homing in on a Ford Mustang Mach E....rather more expensive but more predictable quality and support.

Maybe it's true that the quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten.
They are far from junk, they are great value for money and a real positive move in to the world of EV driving. At nearly two years in and 25000 miles on the clock all the car has cost me so far is £136 for my first service, which included all my software updates and another 12 months AA membership included for free. After being a Volvo XC90 owner for years i can tell you that’s it is far from junk and I would happily buy another if or when I can afford to upgrade to the new 273 miles version when it’s out in November this year. At least the MG’s do not catch fire like some of the other manufacturers out there, but hay ho good luck with your Ford…

Last edited:
I know its old but Ford stands for?
Fixed
Or
Repair
Dailey

There's a huge Difference between A Mustang E and an MG in Price alone, upto 3 times the price of an MG, 3 times the range?? 3 times the warranty?? 3 times the Performance of a Marvel R???
I think I'll stick to my MG thanks

By writing this, I am doing exactly the thing that I am suggesting others don't.

Someone has stated their (perfectly valid) opinion - written in an inflammatory way to provoke comment and reaction - and here we are, defending a brand that really doesn't need defended 🤷‍♂️

Stop commenting and let this thread die - it's serving no purpose.

By writing this, I am doing exactly the thing that I am suggesting others don't.

Someone has stated their (perfectly valid) opinion - written in an inflammatory way to provoke comment and reaction - and here we are, defending a brand that really doesn't need defended 🤷‍♂️

as said don’t feeeeeddddd the trolllll!!

Thanks Biffo...and indeed all of you who have responded.

Yes, I was deliberately hoping to provoke reactions and apologise for upsetting anyone in the process.

I've probably spent too much time trawling the MG forum and have to admit getting a bit depressed reading so many tales of woe, admittedly mostly not in respect of the model I'm primarily interested in.

Thanks again for your responses. Your comments re price / value propositions of the likes of the Mach E are perfectly valid although the (achievable) range of the extended range rwd model is extremely attractive so I will gaze longingly at one in a showroom soon.
While I'm awaiting the MG5 test drive I've requested.

Why do you want to test drive a piece of junk ?
Thanks Biffo...and indeed all of you who have responded.

Yes, I was deliberately hoping to provoke reactions and apologise for upsetting anyone in the process.

I've probably spent too much time trawling the MG forum and have to admit getting a bit depressed reading so many tales of woe, admittedly mostly not in respect of the model I'm primarily interested in.

Thanks again for your responses. Your comments re price / value propositions of the likes of the Mach E are perfectly valid although the (achievable) range of the extended range rwd model is extremely attractive so I will gaze longingly at one in a showroom soon.
While I'm awaiting the MG5 test drive I've requested.

I was tempted to reply the same but as Biffo says don't fuel this.... but why are you wanting a test drive a piece of junk???
one way to unite a forum and you wanted to deliberately provoke reactions??

It's a bit academic really as neither of the dealers I've contacted has bothered to show any interest.
Which, sadly, seems to reflect a lot of the experiences related by forum members.

Realistically SAIC have come from a position of having lots of EV experience in China, but none for a more demanding Western and European market. The experiences with the ZS have given them a few lessons, which they have reacted to, but still much to do with things like customer services and the dealer network.

Maybe it's true that the quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten.

Indeed. Having suffered the misery of owning a Skoda Yeti, I know that of which you speak. Sticking clutch pedal ("Yeah, well, mate, we know what that is - it's a fault, innit?"), all 4 brake drums rusted right through after less than 13,000 miles, 3 complete sets of tyres in 40,000 miles, 2 sets of brake shoes in 40,000 miles (on top of the failed drums), random stalling in 2nd gear ("No idea what that is mate...."), all 4 door seals failed so you couldn't leave it out in the rain, only one daytime running light working at any one time (but randomly, so you never knew which one would light up), interior lights packed up, cig lighter failed, brake pedal that creaked loudly from new EVERY time it was used ("It'll cost yer £120 for us to look at it and we might not be able to fix it, mate"), etc.

And then there was the exhaust emissions fraud system that VW built into all their cars to prove their green credentials (no, it's not a bug, it's a feature) with endless smug emails from VW boasting that they would fix their inbuilt fraud device for free, so wasn't I a lucky customer. All topped off by having to deal with Arnold Clark ("we waste time, so you don't have to").

And, incredibly, the Skoda was actually more reliable than a Citroen I had back in the 1990s. It was sold to me with an accelerator that randomly stuck full on and doors that, if you tried to open them, centrally locked you in, making it a mobile coffin. If you want junk, buy a Skoda. Or a Citroen. Or a Ford (the Galaxy I once owned was back in the garage before it had done 3,000 miles; as one of its many faults, the brand new CD changer finally had to be sent back to the factory to recover my music).

All I want is a car that gets me, my passengers and our stuff from A to B with no fuss, reliably and reasonably economically. Now driving an MG5. The first faultless car I've ever bought. I've even been able to reduce my blood pressure tablets...

Last edited:
Having had four Mitsubishi's before getting my HS PHEV, two ASX's and two Outlander PHEV's,
if MG's ae junk, Mitsubishi's must be scrapyard relics.

Do I miss the (at least) decade old control and instrument layouts, the scattergun approach to switch placement, the door card moving when the windows go down and up, the bonnet fluttering as speed at the catches were never tight enough, the flimsy luggage cover.....

I know the thread was to elicit response, just though I'd give a view from a former Mitsu owner,
before getting educated :-}

You Can add BMW to the list of "reliable" cars. 3 safety recalls and a "performance" update that stopped the engine looking like it was about to jump out of the car it was vibrating so much. The thing that convinced me to sell it was when the swirl flaps went on the inlet manifold and it started pumping diesel exhaust into the cabin. Great piece of design.

Oh and lets not forget the lovely BMW dealer network that managed to break a glow plug off in the cylinder head of my car and then tried getting me to pay £3,000 to repair their cock up. That didn't go to well for them!

My MG is boring in relation to that. It's going to take a while to get used to my MG5 :)

Oh by the way good luck with your Mach E I think you are gonna need it.

Last edited:
Seems to be luck of the draw with any car. I have had a Peugeot that drove like new on the day I sold it, a vauxhall astra that has been simple and easy to fix.... And a vauxhall combo van that never missed a beat.

Wife has had a series of more troublesome cars including Renault, Toyota and Ford. Wouldn't put me off any of them but I wouldn't spend more assuming it brings quality. If I like the drive and can afford it I will buy it.

Would love to drive a Tesla to understand the hype...but I can't afford it and I personally think the look is getting a bit dated.

Loving some of the more recent carwow YouTube vids on cars I can never afford. Great to see there is always a bigger better more expensive car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom