My Heater Problem

Frank

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I posted a thread ages ago with regards to a fault I have with my heater. Basically there are seven gradients you can have on the output of the heater counting each red bar that shows on the screen. I used to (I think, as it was over 4 months ago) get useful heat coming out of the heater at 2/3 bars showing and even during winter I can't remember having to go higher.

One snowy and very wet night coming from Glasgow to Dumfries on the motorway I noticed my feet were suddenly getting cold and on investigation whilst driving I found that heat would only be produced when the heater was on maximum i.e. all seven red bars showing and no heat was produced AT ALL on 1-6 bars. The problem with that was when heat was coming out it was too hot.

Anyway car went into the MG dealer in Mar some time to get fixed. It was only driving away from the dealership (after they informed me that it was all ok) that if was found that they had not fixed it. On arrival back at the dealer some dimwit service guy was trying to tell me "the engine needs to heat up sir". After some fruity response from myself they agreed it was not working.

I am now taking the car back on the 30th Jun to try and get it fixed and also to get the Software Comfort Pack Update (I was a bit worried on getting it, but those who have had it do not seem to report ANY problems) at a cost of just over £80 even though I bought the car from them. I have a couple of question that I hope could be answered on the forum, firstly can anyone please confirm that the 3 rapid beeps of the hour have now gone under all circumstances (except maybe trying to lock the car with the keys inside, which I don't mind) and secondly can someone please do a check on their heater and confirm that heat does come out from about 1-3 bars (please note during the test, don't crank it up to maximum and then go down to 1-3 as this is what the garage did I think, when testing the heating system and the residual heat from the maximum setting made them think that the heater was working).

Thanks, and I hope someone has the time to do this little check and respond to the 3 beeps of the horn question (the only thing that really annoys me about the car).

Regards

Frank

My heater has certainly worked as I expected. I've just been out and done a 5 min test. There are about 8 blue segments....then a white one and then about 8 reds. When I set it on 3 reds, with 3 segments of air blowing, the car quickly became quite warm. I'm sure that had I upped the temp to the max red....it would have got quite hot.

I've not fully tested the horn 'paps', but the only time its recently done just one pap, is when I tried to lock the car when the door was not properly shut....which I think is fair enough.

It seems to be 'BONG Free"...which is great!

While I'm at it, the maximum range I've ever seen on the GOM, ( to the uninitiated ...Guess Oh Meter) prior to upgrade, was 162 miles, now, in economy driving mode its 173 ! :).......(but if you change it to normal mode, it goes back down to 162.)

Last edited:
My heater has certainly worked as I expected. I've just been out and done a 5 min test. There are about 8 blue segments....then a white one and then about 8 reds. When I set it on 3 reds, with 3 segments of air blowing, the car quickly became quite warm. I'm sure that had I upped the temp to the max red....it would have got quite hot.

I've not fully tested the horn 'paps', but the only time its recently done just one pap, is when I tried to lock the car when the door was not properly shut....which I think is fair enough.

It seems to be 'BONG Free"...which is great!

While I'm at it, the maximum range I've ever seen on the GOM, prior to upgrade, was 162 miles, now, in economy driving mode its 173 ! :).......(but if you change it to normal mode, it goes back down to 162.)
Chris,

Thanks, you have answered both my question and test result, once again, thanks.

Regards

Frank

Just to add mine was updated this morning and the car will still do 3 x beeps if your passenger get out of the car while the motor is off and you are still in the car.
If you get out first quickly with the keys it won’t. Trick is get out first our keep power on until all have exited and then you turn off and get out last.

Just tested mine again! The only way to make it Pap the horn is to try and lock it with the door not fully closed.....Thats it...no other way!

No nonsense about passenger door opening first....even leaving the keys in the car.....all that happens in that situation is the car won't lock....no noise...just a picture of your key on the display.

You need the full update chaps, its ridicules that they are not offering it to everyone...better still, it should be Free of Charge. :mad:.....but personally I'd sooner pay my £80 and get the blooming thing done properly!

While MG are faffing around like this...they will be loosing potential buyers hand over fist....buyers do their research nowadays....Get real MG.....youv'e got a fine product with a few glitches...sort them out!

Last edited:
Just tested mine again! The only way to make it Pap the horn is to try and lock it with the door not fully closed.....Thats it...no other way!

No nonsense about passenger door opening first....even leaving the keys in the car.....all that happens in that situation is the car won't lock....no noise...just a picture of your key on the display.

You need the full update chaps, its ridicules that they are not offering to everyone...better still, it should be Free of Charge. :mad:.....but personally I'd sooner pay my £80 and get the blooming thing done properly!

While MG are faffing around like this...they will be loosing potential buyers hand over fist....buyers do their research nowadays....Get real MG.....youv'e got a fine product with a few glitches...sort them out!
There was someone there with an HS saying they had the same problem and it put them off driving it

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom