• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

My Mg EHS (Metallic Grey)

VenumX

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Well,.. i have been a proud owner of the EHS since friday now (09/07/2021):D
IMG20210710221125.jpg

And i must say,.. I'm very pleased about it,.. i love driving it.
From and to work i do a daily commute of 22Km , so every 2 days i have to charge the car,.. so no biggie.
i have done 180 Km so far,.. (driving to friends and stuff) and my mileage is like 3.1L/100Km.
Far better than every car i previously owned.
It's a little bit of a big car when first getting into it and knowing its yours and driving it.....
From the inside it looks to wide for the road....
I told the dealer to check for every spot i had on my checklist, and he did them all!
I even got a bottle of Cava and a free trunk floormat....so u don't hear me complaining.

I noticed tho that when the car is locked, and u open the boot , and close it again , and while its closing you unlock the car by pressing the button on the handle , the boot stops closing. but that's a minor issue...
I also noticed the lag in the electric system when going for a sprint,.. but its not a sportscar so i don't mind a lot.
The led front lights and the throw is perfect, the sunroof is great,..
2 bad the foglights are halogen,.. but ok,..
The white led puddle lights are great. (i'm glad its NOT the MG logo)
I don't use the navigation at all , i use android auto and that works perfectly. (Oppo Reno 3)

I just found out today that the passenger seat is not cannot move up and down,.. the misses was a little bit pissed,.. but hey ok,.. you cant have it all! :cautious::)

Did you know that if you want to boot to close only halfway, you can use the infotainment system OR you can just pull down the boot to the desired opening height and then just press the close button for like 3-4 seconds until it beeps?? i didn't...:unsure:

The dealer also said he received a mail from MG saying they need to rust proof the bottom of the car at "certain" places only... but when i looked under the car only 2 spots where "Rust proofed" with a spray can,.. so i went to the store and got myself a big jar of rustproof sealant and did it a little bit better.(i think)
(below is what the dealer did)
garage.jpg

below are the points that i found myself, and one picture of what i fixed...
IMG20210711080752.jpg

IMG20210711080739.jpg

IMG20210711080806.jpg

IMG20210711081733.jpg

below is one picture of what i fixed.
IMG20210711092124.jpg

Charging: it charges just fine, but what i did notice is that i don't have to close my car to get it to charge,... i just get out of the car,.. plug it in and the "BBZZZZT"
locks the cable and its charging.
weird but ok,... :)

Anyway if u guys have any questions,.. i will try to get them answered.
Greetings Toby

BTW: This car was delivered to me by Garage De Baets in Hasselt (Limburg) Belgium
Maybe you could add them to the list of garages in Europe.

Attachments

• IMG20210710221125.jpg
    IMG20210710221125.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 173
Hi Toby I'm glad you like it.
On most forums you only get to see the problems and niggles , some are bad some are minor.
In the end when you get to try the phev , its up to you to decide if you can live with them.
I test drove in the phev and loved it , and like you got one. I think there's a good point here, by all means read the forums, but test drive it and you find out how great the car really is.

Just FYI li-ion batteries last longer with smaller depth of discharge. Instead of charging it every other day, charge it every day so it isn’t fully discharged.

Just FYI li-ion batteries last longer with smaller depth of discharge. Instead of charging it every other day, charge it every day so it isn’t fully discharged.
Judging by the data I extracted, I would guess that the battery isn't been fully charged, or fully discharged. I would guess this is to prolong battery life to some extent. Only time will tell, what difference it makes. On the Leaf, I find a few weeks of little charges, reduces the mileage on the range meter. Soo rectified with a couple of good runs though.

Judging by the data I extracted, I would guess that the battery isn't been fully charged, or fully discharged. I would guess this is to prolong battery life to some extent. Only time will tell, what difference it makes. On the Leaf, I find a few weeks of little charges, reduces the mileage on the range meter. Soo rectified with a couple of good runs though.
That’s because BMS can’t correctly keep a tab on energy used etc. A larger discharge tends to correct that.
HS charges the cells to same voltage as Leaf30 - 4.1V

Another clever hack on HS is that there is no guessometer. The electric range is fixed to 100% state of charge and drops with % reduction.

I have seen GoM in action on Leaf30 and Outlander and HS is clearly different.

I know for a fact that if you take a raw Li-ion battery (without protective circuits) and drain it untill it's 0%,...it's ready for the bin. But the manufacturers software/circuits has over- and discharge protection. So I would not mind driving it untill it reaches 0Km.

I know for a fact that if you take a raw Li-ion battery (without protective circuits) and drain it untill it's 0%,...it's ready for the bin. But the manufacturers software/circuits has over- and discharge protection. So I would not mind driving it untill it reaches 0Km.
I’ve think most BMS do a hard stop at 2.8V as it causes permanent degradation below that. 0% range is more like a 30% capacity and 100% is 90% off total capacity

I believe the whole point of a plug-in hybrid is that if you do longer trips that you should end your journey with no charge left to maximise your fuel economy. It’s actually hard not too unless you sacrifice economy by using the 2 optional modes of medium -keeping the battery optimised to 50% or high - basically saving the battery for ev mode when you hit a congested area. The management system also warns you when you haven’t undertaken a battery balance and then I find you need in excess of 5 hours charging time so best done overnight. Basically I don’t think it’s necessary to worry about nursing the battery to keep it healthy, I have confidence in the cars management system and the designers.

Do you guys have the same issue as me ? Just to check.

1. Close the car remotely
2. Open the trunk by hand.
3. Close the trunk by hand.
4. Walk to the driver's door.
5. Unlock the car with the button on the door.
Result: the trunk stops closing and opens back up.

Anyone ? Or is this a known glitch ?

This happens allot when I go run errands....

Last edited:
Did all the Numbers 1-5 .
On 3 I closed it by pressing the close button on the boot.
When I opened the car as in 5 , the boot still closed

Don’t see this boot issue BUT………… I was just taking out rear child seat (which is a faff to get in on the HS and creases the seats if left in) and the tail lift suddenly opened in its own, turns out I was leaning on the key in my pocket. I was parked close up to the garage charging at the time so to my horror the tailgate scrapes up the brickwork. And at the same time being startled I scrape the isofix latch against the red leather.
——-bring back my 15 year old A6 Allroad covered in dents!

Did all the Numbers 1-5 .
On 3 I closed it by pressing the close button on the boot.
When I opened the car as in 5 , the boot still closed
Ok,.... I'll try it again tomorrow , must be a fluke then......
Don’t see this boot issue BUT………… I was just taking out rear child seat (which is a faff to get in on the HS and creases the seats if left in) and the tail lift suddenly opened in its own, turns out I was leaning on the key in my pocket. I was parked close up to the garage charging at the time so to my horror the tailgate scrapes up the brickwork. And at the same time being startled I scrape the isofix latch against the red leather.
——-bring back my 15 year old A6 Allroad covered in dents!
Oh god...! The horror.

There is a known issue with boot stops opening / closing if passenger doors are opened. Maybe the DNA of the car thinks LHD drivers side is passenger door ? :p

It was a fluke,... The trunk opening....

But sometimes it closes all the way but it doesn't lock itself....I have to open and close it again .....very weird.....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom