Nasty Moment at a Pod Point

JimD

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
There's a set of 4 subsidised Pod Points (14p /kwh) at our local shopping centre, so I thought I'd get a cheap charge while I was at Sainsbury this morning.

All went well until I tried to end the charge, and I found I couldn't get the plug out of the car. I had unlocked the car, walked round the front and the plug was locked in. After much faffing about inside the car, where there seemed to be no option in the controls to end charging (surprising I thought), eventually I pressed unlock again while I was standing at the front of the car, and heard the plug release, so I got it out as fast as I could. Phew!

So, what's the secret of trouble free unplugging? I didn't have any bother at the previous Pod Point I used in Durham, but I must have done something different then.

Yep, if you're not quick enough it will re-lock itself in, a bit like the doors auto locking if you unlock but don't open any doors.
I get out of the car then with drivers door window open (weather permitting), reach in and press the unlock on the inside of the door. It doesn't matter if the car is unlocked already, it's the act of 'unlocking' that does it. It's then a shorter hop to the front of the car to extract the cable. :)

There's a set of 4 subsidised Pod Points (14p /kwh) at our local shopping centre, so I thought I'd get a cheap charge while I was at Sainsbury this morning.

All went well until I tried to end the charge, and I found I couldn't get the plug out of the car. I had unlocked the car, walked round the front and the plug was locked in. After much faffing about inside the car, where there seemed to be no option in the controls to end charging (surprising I thought), eventually I pressed unlock again while I was standing at the front of the car, and heard the plug release, so I got it out as fast as I could. Phew!

So, what's the secret of trouble free unplugging? I didn't have any bother at the previous Pod Point I used in Durham, but I must have done something different then.
The secret is to have the key in your pocket. Press the unlock button on the key to unlock charging port when on an AC charger.

On DC chargers it is a bit different, you can unlock charging port by ending charging session on the payment machine. If you find yourself in a situation where payment machine would not do it for you, call the concerned operator's helpline and they will end charge session remotely.

As above, just 'unlock' the car again, should release it.

Worst case, read your manual page 142 (yeah I didn't either) there's a manual release under the bonnet. It's not easy to get to though so you should try to extend it while at home before you need it.

Thanks for the answers - I'll feel more confident next time.

@5teep I noticed that in the manual, but it seems a bit bizarre to have an emergency release under a screw-on cover doesn't it?!
Agreed, it's bloody daft.

Not an issue for me as I have removed that cover to fit my Frunk box but it's one that needs fixing, either by yourself or by the dealers at some point.

I sort of agree, but it really should only be used if the charge has been terminated and the lock has still not been released. If it is used and the plug is disconnected while the car is charging the inductive load risks arcing both at the plug/socket but also within the on board charger which would be very expensive to replace if damaged.

JimD I think your talking about Galleries at Washington, I have used it with out issue but I always stand by the front of the car and unlock remove the charge plug before doing anything else.

JimD I think your talking about Galleries at Washington, I have used it with out issue but I always stand by the front of the car and unlock remove the charge plug before doing anything else.

Yes, it was the galleries ones.

I always unlock the door with the button on the handle then open and close the door to prevent the door automatically locking again, this seems to prevent the charging port locking again on ours.
Some have reported the charge port locking within 2 seconds of unlocking on theirs. If yours is one of these quick to relock ones, just unlock with the key fob whilst holding the plug in the other hand and pull as you hear it unlock.

And as I learned. If you started the charge via an app. You need to stop it by the app.

I do find my LR will start charging on AC before you've locked the car. As well as autolocking very quickly if you don't open a door.

Thanks for the answers - I'll feel more confident next time.

@5teep I noticed that in the manual, but it seems a bit bizarre to have an emergency release under a screw-on cover doesn't it?!
You're absolutely right about that. It's completely bizarre!
I took the screw on cover off just to have a nosey, and as a practice run in case I needed to in the future.
Whilst there I attached a cable/string to the emergency release and fed it through the gap where the washer bottle top sticks out and secured it there. Should I need this in the future it's just a simple process now to pull it without having to removing the cover.
This TIP (not a HACK 😩) was given by someone else in the early days of the forum so I take no credit for it but happy to pass it on. :)

And as I learned. If you started the charge via an app. You need to stop it by the app.

I do find my LR will start charging on AC before you've locked the car. As well as autolocking very quickly if you don't open a door.
I am not sure if you can stop a PodPoint in the app.
The free ones just need to 'confirmed' in the app.

It was AC, and I tried to stop it in the app, but couldn't find any option to do so. In fact the only option in the app (for those chargers) is 'confirm charge'; I even tried clicking on that to see if more options would come up, but it just said something like 'unable to confirm, already charging'.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom