New member and looking forward to using an MG EV

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone,
I'm not new to this forum as I have browsed it many times over the last 3 years. Unfortunately COVID got in the way of changing to EV driving over this period but things changed recently with a crash write-off of the car I have owned for the past 8 yrs. I'm OK but the post I hit is no more. (long story but needless to say the post was in the wrong!). Anyway I have owned Skoda cars for the last 16 years. Great cars but cost is now prohibative for what they offer. I used to love my Octavia estate but that was costing too much in repairs as the years went on. The crashed car was a Fabia, a good car but too small for my needs now. I have wanted to move to electric for many years as I think it is the only future. I have been a petrol head in the past and love those cars but performance and lower maintenance is clearly in the electric vehicles realm. They are simpler and more powerful than oil alternatives. I also didnt want to go the hybrid way as thats twice the complexity and anyway not long before, I presume, one will not be able to buy anyway.
Rather annoyingly I am considering making this change when electricity pricing has gone through the roof. I also cannot charge at home as I live in a flat with no possibility of a night charger. However, from my resesearch I think its achievable. My local carpark has just had multiple chargers installed and overnight parking is free.
I think I will lease and am looking at the MG ZS, MG 5, or maybe the MG 4. Just depends on availability. I think its likely to be MG ZS or MG 5 both big enough for my needs and pretty good value at the momment.
Anyway hopefully I can give some feedback as I travel along this electric avenue in the forum.

All the best

Colin

Having tried an MG4 last week if you think an MG5 is likely then an MG4 might feel too small.

Welcome Colin. I think you are talking yourself into the ZS or 5. Enjoy.

Living in a flat with no home charging is still doable. I've managed fine for nearly 3 years now with no home charging. If you have nearby 7kwh charging you'll soon get into a routine that works for you.

Some EV owners with driveways rent out their charging (www.co-charger.com) so that may be worth exploring.

Good luck choosing.

Welcome! I’m new too, waiting delivery of the MG4.
I’m in the same boat with overnight charging as I live on a terraced road. But just like you have, my local car park is free overnight and has 22kwh chargers.

Welcome to the club Colin :)
I can certainly recommend the MG5 in any of its guises and if you are not wedded to the idea of having to possess the vary latest platform there is much to commend. If you follow discussions here you will already be aware that there are some drawbacks associated with being an early adopter of a new model such as the MG4 anyway.

Hi
I swapped from an Octavia estate to the MG 5 20 months ago
I am delighted with the MG5 (I have the short range version)
The car has been faultless and ther is nothing to compare at the price.
The only thing you will notice is the boot is smaller than the Octavia and unfortunately the back seats don`t fold down as well.
Range is no problem although I am fortunate enough to be able to charge at home, infact I have never had to use any external charger points !!!!.
I note that lot of MG5 are taxis (which bodes well) I seem to remember that the Octavia became a popular taxi when people use to make very cruel comments about skips and Skodas.
I think MG is turning into the new Skoda.

Hi, sold my 2018 Skoda Superb on Friday and had the MG5 delivered today. Not in a position to comment on the living with it piece yet but on first impressions I'm sure it will be big enough and it doesn't feel like a step down in quality. I think that both brands are aimed at people who want a car that does the job - neither wins any prizes based upon badge, sporty driving or super whizzy tech. 2022 pricing for Skodas (compared with 2018 pricing when I last bought) makes the MG look cheap in comparison.

Hi everyone,
I'm not new to this forum as I have browsed it many times over the last 3 years. Unfortunately COVID got in the way of changing to EV driving over this period but things changed recently with a crash write-off of the car I have owned for the past 8 yrs. I'm OK but the post I hit is no more. (long story but needless to say the post was in the wrong!). Anyway I have owned Skoda cars for the last 16 years. Great cars but cost is now prohibative for what they offer. I used to love my Octavia estate but that was costing too much in repairs as the years went on. The crashed car was a Fabia, a good car but too small for my needs now. I have wanted to move to electric for many years as I think it is the only future. I have been a petrol head in the past and love those cars but performance and lower maintenance is clearly in the electric vehicles realm. They are simpler and more powerful than oil alternatives. I also didnt want to go the hybrid way as thats twice the complexity and anyway not long before, I presume, one will not be able to buy anyway.
Rather annoyingly I am considering making this change when electricity pricing has gone through the roof. I also cannot charge at home as I live in a flat with no possibility of a night charger. However, from my resesearch I think its achievable. My local carpark has just had multiple chargers installed and overnight parking is free.
I think I will lease and am looking at the MG ZS, MG 5, or maybe the MG 4. Just depends on availability. I think its likely to be MG ZS or MG 5 both big enough for my needs and pretty good value at the momment.
Anyway hopefully I can give some feedback as I travel along this electric avenue in the forum.

All the best

Colin
Hey and Welcome

I have been on here for many months. I was originally waiting for a ZS. Unfortunately the ongoing wait and the uncertainty it will ever come made me rethink my options.

I had originally gone to test drive the MG5 but the updated feel and the sunroof of the ZS made me changed my mind.

The new Facelift MG5 has addresses most of the issues I had with the older version. I have now replaced my ZS order with an MG5 Facelift which is due in the next couple of weeks.

The MG4 for some reason felt smaller for me and I wanted the Roof bars and tow option.

Life without a charger.
I am in the same situation as you and cannot have a home charger. I did start a thread in this which is little out of date now but had some useful info.

I live in London so am quite lucky without the number of public chargers around. Enough 7 kwh lamp post chargers to keep me going.

The change if mindset seems to be key. Rather than being reactive and filling when empty, you graze and grab charges whenever you have the option. e.g. 1 hours shopping would get me more than the distance I travel.

Hope this helps a little.

Depends. I found the MG5 felt cramped and claustrophobic inside compared to the MG4. Yes, boot much bigger, but I don't need that. Would have liked a roof rack option though, that was tempting with the MG5.
The driver seat (so I guess the passenger one too) is much narrower. I'm a big lad and fit in the MG5 one whereas on the MG4 one leg was always half over the edge, no matter how I wiggled.

I actually liked it but it is considerably smaller than the 5.

Many thanks for all your replies and comments. It's really good to find a welcoming forum like this.
I think I am more attracted to the ZS mainly as it seems to have more interior space! Its not that often now that I need to transport an IKEA wardrobe it;s more the clobber associated with grandchildren and their luggage. How 2 five year olds can carry the equivalent of Tutankhanun's Tomb just to go to school I have no idea. The MG5 I think has a longer boot length but the area is smaller?
Anyway I will keep you uptodate on progress.

Colin

Many thanks for all your replies and comments. It's really good to find a welcoming forum like this.
I think I am more attracted to the ZS mainly as it seems to have more interior space! Its not that often now that I need to transport an IKEA wardrobe it;s more the clobber associated with grandchildren and their luggage. How 2 five year olds can carry the equivalent of Tutankhanun's Tomb just to go to school I have no idea. The MG5 I think has a longer boot length but the area is smaller?
Anyway I will keep you uptodate on progress.

Colin
I get your thinking I did order the ZS first but was turned by slow delivery and the Facelift to MG5. Keep in mind new ZS orders no longer have sunroof.

The MG5 has 9 litres more so not much in it.

But it is really what cars works best for you. :)

Well its been confirmed my crashed Skoda is a write off. I have a good settlement so I am now looking for a good deal for an MG ZS EV (they seem a little better value than the MG5).

I want to lease so any advice would be welcome. Also any idea what the lead time would be for a so called IN STOCK lease MG ZS?

All the best.

Colin

Just a couple things to note on the ZS. The current models no longer come with the Sunroof. The wait time is very long and order process is a shamble. After waiting 9 months I switch the new facelift Mg5 which I am getting in only a few weeks after ordering.

I did originally go to test drive the pre-facelift MG5 but fell in love with the ZS it was way ahead of the pre-facelift MG5. But I recently looked at the MG5 facelift and are very happy with the improvements so fed-up waiting made the jump.

Obviously everyone's needs and wants are different :)

Had my STANDARD (NOT short!) Range exclusive 14 months now and covered a paltry 11k. In that time the things that have gone wrong? Bolt in 1 tyre, clearly not the cars fault and that's it. I really like this first, to us, EV it's powerful comfortable reasonably specced and Peanuts to have serviced. Dislikes? Headlamps are pure garbage on B roads with no separate main beam bulb and is the 1 reason I would actually consider trading up or getting rid of, wheel spin, which I'm sure a set of the new Hankooks will sort, rear seat squabs not folding flat but take out the rear seat cushion sorts that. Overall we've enjoyed the car so far

Had my STANDARD (NOT short!) Range exclusive 14 months now and covered a paltry 11k. In that time the things that have gone wrong? Bolt in 1 tyre, clearly not the cars fault and that's it. I really like this first, to us, EV it's powerful comfortable reasonably specced and Peanuts to have serviced. Dislikes? Headlamps are pure garbage on B roads with no separate main beam bulb and is the 1 reason I would actually consider trading up or getting rid of, wheel spin, which I'm sure a set of the new Hankooks will sort, rear seat squabs not folding flat but take out the rear seat cushion sorts that. Overall we've enjoyed the car so far
Yeah the headlights suck. I upgraded the bulbs to Halfords 150% more light. Big improvement for not much bucks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom