New MG4 Software Update Nightmare March 2023

Paul V Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
2 weeks ago I had my MG4 Trophy recalled for a software update. This should have been in for one day. Day 2 they contacted me saying there was a problem and they needed advice from MG as they had no idea. 2 weeks on its still not sorted. The latest software update caused errors /issues with the safety driving module, making the car unsafe to drive. They were advised to replace the front camera, which didn’t change anything. MG have been in contact with the dealership technician daily, but still no joy. Has anyone else had this same issue?

2 weeks ago I had my MG4 Trophy recalled for a software update. This should have been in for one day. Day 2 they contacted me saying there was a problem and they needed advice from MG as they had no idea. 2 weeks on its still not sorted. The latest software update caused errors /issues with the safety driving module, making the car unsafe to drive. They were advised to replace the front camera, which didn’t change anything. MG have been in contact with the dealership technician daily, but still no joy. Has anyone else had this same issue?
Not had a similar issue myself but this kind of thing has been reported by others.

Appears to be incompatibilities in module versions across the car, sometimes caused by a failure to complete the updates.

With these kinds of issues your dealer is totally dependent on MG China - the updates are streamed from chinese servers - so all the debugging is remote and somewhat blind. Hence why it can take time.

The reason why they try parts darts is to get a new module in with a different version of the software - it can solve it in some cases, allowing the updates to be done again.

It definitely isn't good enough when you have this happen on your car.

But am I missing something or what. Do MG not have a test environment for all software updates and the likes?
It's almost like amateur hour to be asking customers to go and get updates on their cars and then said updates cause massive issues.

It looks like they have bypassed that critical delivery step as well to enable their market share grab pricing.

But am I missing something or what. Do MG not have a test environment for all software updates and the likes?
It's almost like amateur hour to be asking customers to go and get updates on their cars and then said updates cause massive issues.

It looks like they have bypassed that critical delivery step as well to enable their market share grab pricing.
I expect they do, but a lab isn't the same as the huge variety and combination of modules in the actual cars out there.

Remember, MG is trying to coordinate updates from dozens of module suppliers into a reliable upgrade process.

They aren't doing a good enough job but it is a hard problem that has also bitten other OEMs.

It really shows the power of Teslas's approach: centralise and control the software and computing hardware and buy in only dumb modules from third parties.

But nobody else has the skills to do that (yet).

I expect they do, but a lab isn't the same as the huge variety and combination of modules in the actual cars out there.

Remember, MG is trying to coordinate updates from dozens of module suppliers into a reliable upgrade process.

They aren't doing a good enough job but it is a hard problem that has also bitten other OEMs.

It really shows the power of Teslas's approach: centralise and control the software and computing hardware and buy in only dumb modules from third parties.

But nobody else has the skills to do that (yet).

Agreed - Makes me think or Apple ver PC ... in how Apple 'control' in a positive to me manor

Well finally I have my MG4 back after almost 4 weeks in the garage, trying to simply update the latest software. They said it damaged the safety module, whatever that is. I read MG use third parties for the software and some software is not working. I was given a MG5 as a loan car, so not too bad and not having to put expensive fuel on an ICE car. The only change I can see is the falling asleep warning has stop flashing up on the dashboard and the lane assist seems to be improved. Still not as good as my old ID.3.

They’re onto the 4th day with the car now. What a carry on. They’re having problems with an error during the software update and apparently a new FDR module is on order.

Last edited:
Hope you guys get your's sorted - But I will say this - I've never had any issues with the dealership I'm using re info and updates (& incidentally they did not provide the car initially) - I really do think its down to the quality of the dealerships ..

Hope you guys get your's sorted - But I will say this - I've never had any issues with the dealership I'm using re info and updates (& incidentally they did not provide the car initially) - I really do think its down to the quality of the dealerships ..
As I stated when I started this thread, its been a nightmare. Now I have the latest updated software, annoyingly it defaults to Lane Assist which isn’t good in urban areas A & B roads, so I have to disable this everytime. Its a real shame you can’t set up a preference and set your car as you want it.

The dealership are keeping me updated with minimal chasing on my part to be fair it just seems the multiple steps in the process with dealer, MG UK and MG China is adding to the inefficiency. It makes it even worse that it's a safety recall.

Just a thought, If your car is working fine and you are happy with it, can you refuse to have software updates, and what would any possible future consequences be?
Would MG by default update software at your next service interval, with or without your permission?

Just a thought, If your car is working fine and you are happy with it, can you refuse to have software updates, and what would any possible future consequences be?
Would MG by default update software at your next service interval, with or without your permission?
There will be things they will update as standard that they deem will cause either safety or functionality issues and if you want it serviced will implement.

Such as the LKA update to enable it by default is the intended setting under NCAP.

And there's now an update for the charging control module to prevent rapid charging issues, or the locking in update in the BCM

All manufacturers have these issues even with established models, I had a DS5 that would turn the wipers on, on its own even with the ignition off and the car locked! They had to get a French tec to remotely log on to the car to sort the software as the controller module on the car was not recorded on Citroen's database. Electrical issues have always been around it's just now there are so many more systems to go wrong or get right, which ever way you want to look at it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 488 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back