• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

New Phev Owner Question

Aceselect

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We have just welcomed a new MG HS Phev into the family to sit alongside our MG5 LR.

Two questions,
1. is the loud Jet engine take off noise normal for this car when driving off.
2. The car has just completed 288 miles from new and the average mpg is 49.3 mpg, this cannot be right can it. Mixed roads, short and longer journeys. What is the best driving method to get this figure higher. I'm not heavy footed, I'm used to ev driving. At one point the driver info was showing ev at -2.4kwh.

Any advice gratefully received.

To 1st question yes you will soon get use to it, question 2 is the accumulated or present Journey.
present will go up and down depending on what road you are on, accumulate will give you information over a time period. Your car is new and need to be run in more. I think over mixed roads it’s about same as my car that new. To tell you the truth I do not bother looking now a days but how much petrol I have to put in (£10) a month in summer and about £10 week in winter. It will go up but I drive to and from work in EV

With regards to the noise, there seems to be two, in ev only mode, the jet engine noise as you go up speed, then a screeching even louder noise.

Can you record the noise, over time it quietens down at about 4000 miles on both. do you feel anything from the car at the same time through your foot.

Last edited:
Just added a edit to last post
do you feel any thing through your foot at the same time

Occasional vibration. Tried to record to too much wind noise. When the screen h kicks in, it reminds me of the noise a screechy wheel bearing makes, its really screechy.

Yes that sound about the same you need to run in the car on EV and ICE then at about 4000 miles it smooth out and then the car runs smooth quieter, also the gears smooth them self out a bit.

There must be something wrong.........our car has been whisper quiet from day one, it's probably the reason why the car needs an artificial pedestrian alert sound!

I was watching some bits on the HS on YouTube yesterday and it’s reported on there as well, it’s more of a vibrating.

I'm going to get it checked out at a dealer, in pure ev mode up to 29mph there is the motor noise which tails off then at about 30mph. But, at 35 to 39 mph, it's like someone is blowing a whistle which stops as you back off the accelerator and start when you apply power again, over 40 as you increase speed it stops.

Let us know what they say, but your car is so new they come back with something like it needs time to run in.

My one is now nine months old. From day one it has been the same. Yes, when I move off I can hear a slight whine until I get to 20 mph when the engine kicks in, or if I am in EV the whine seems to decrease until I can't hear it. If I have the windows open I can just about hear it, but it is not intrusive at all, just a mild reminder that I am in an electric car, and it is quite pleasant. In my opinion, you have something wrong with your motor and you should take it back to the dealer and have him sit beside you to hear what is going on while you drive, and don't take, "That is normal in an electric car" as a credible answer. Yes the whine is there, but it is not intrusive at all.

On the fuel economy question .....

Drive it as much as you can on EV by pushing the EV button to change from auto to EV. Your car will do over 30 miles on EV alone. For me that is most of my driving. Engine kicks in occasionally, but way more that 200 to the gallon is the norm. Most of my journeys are less that 32 miles, so I go on straight EV as much as I can, and just plug it in as soon as I get home. Note that the car doesn't like pure EV sometimes if you have the heating on, or the AC on heavy duty, as they use a lot of electricity. But the use of old fashioned AC (Open the windows ! 😉) helps a lot. Different in winter when you have to have the heating on.

PS: There is nothing I can find in the manual about "running in". No cars nowadays need running in either for the engine or the electric motor.

Max is not a Bengal, Aceselect, he's a Si-Rex, and I love him to bits. He has cattitude in spades ! My wife is allergic to cats and these fellas are hypoallergenic due to the Rex in their genes, so she could live with them. 😸

And Westender69 is right ! Had a look in the manual and there it is. Running in for 900 miles. I have been buying brand new cars and motor bikes for many years, and it is a LONG time since I have had to run in anything. Mind you, I have been buying mainly German cars and American motor bikes, so maybe the Chinese have just not caught up with the factory running in most machinery has now.

Fwiw my car is now a year and 6000 miles old.

When in EV mode, there is a noise that sounds similar to an underground train pulling away (low pitched 'moaning' type noise) that increases in frequency as speed increases, but also gets quieter, disappearing completely at about 20mph. Above that, there is an obvious but non-intrusive whine. With the windows open it is MUCH more obvious especially if you are driving next to a wall. This is obviously high speed gear noise, not motor noise, as it doesn't change when it changes gear at about 55mph, in spite of the motor speed dropping from about 9k down to 5k rpm.

Doesn't seem to have changed in any way since picked the car up so I just assumed it was normal for the vehicle.

What IS irritating however, is that I have a kind of 'jerky' acceleration in 'auto' mode - feels like a misfire but I'm assuming if it was, I would have a warning light by now. It's not the well known 52mph flat spot, just hesitation.... Its as if I was moving the accelerator up and down a little while accelerating. Anyone else noticed this? Dealer denies there's any problem although to be fair sometimes it's worse than others.

We have just welcomed a new MG HS Phev into the family to sit alongside our MG5 LR.

Two questions,
1. is the loud Jet engine take off noise normal for this car when driving off.
2. The car has just completed 288 miles from new and the average mpg is 49.3 mpg, this cannot be right can it. Mixed roads, short and longer journeys. What is the best driving method to get this figure higher. I'm not heavy footed, I'm used to ev driving. At one point the driver info was showing ev at -2.4kwh.

Any advice gratefully received.
Regarding fuel consumption, a PHEV is not great at long journeys, that's not really its purpose. Over a (say) 200 mile motorway run, it's just a 6 speed automatic in a not-very-aerodynamic car and it will behave like one.

Where it excels is at short start/stop journeys such as school run, shopping, etc. Left in auto mode around town you will get about 35 to 40mpg as opposed to mid teens from a standard ICE vehicle used for that purpose. This is because most of the power used to accelerate the vehicle will come from the battery. In the summer when there's no need for heat, use ev mode and you will use no fuel at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom