• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

New ZS EV driver

rjb70stoke

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

I am new to anything EV, but after researching my options since January I have reached the conclusion that having an EV is now right for us, and it is time to ditch our Mazda CX-3 ICE car and are taking delivery of our MG ZS EV Exclusive in white, hopefully this Thursday.

I say research since January, as back then our local Mazda dealer was trying to get us to swap to the newer model CX-30, which having had a courtesy car for today, I decided was cumbersome, slow and was going to be quite expensive to run. Nice car, but not for me. On researching that car on WhatCar, the benefits of a BEV started to show up, and I had quickly drawn up a list of possible cars, which once we could (April 12th) we would test drive. Watching James and Kate on youtube, and the MGEV's podcasts reassured me about the MG.

So on the morning of April 12th we arrived at our local MG dealer (Pinkstones Stoke), who were very helpful, got in the car and basically fell in love with it. I was astonished by the overall quality, fit and finish, and the airyness due to the panoramic roof, almost sealed the deal right then and there. I did go and look at my other options, the Kona and the Ioniq (good cars), but it was the interior space in the MG that hooked me. Drive wise all were excellent, but the visibility from the MG was better, and the Kona especially felt cramped and dark. I got back and ended up ordering from Yes Lease (I am running this car through my buisness), and it arrives as I said on Thursday.

To say Im excited is an understatement. Im not sure Ive been this excited about a car, since my very first car back in 1989, which was ironically an MG Metro. I think its not just the idea of a new car, but also a new adventure, a new way of life with an EV. I know it will wear off, but I am like a kid at Christmas right now.

Just thought I would introduce myself, I will be lurking and posting as time goes on, and looking forward to being part of the community.

I do have a couple of musings though. Will my car come with all the latest updates? And how do I find out which version I am currently running? Being from a service background in the photographic industry, I always want the latest updates, and info regarding what they do and the benefits or pitfalls.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome. I‘m sure that you will love your new car. It will have had all the updates by now. I would advise not to get too caught up in all that unless it’s something that you‘re really into - if you are there’s loads on here! When fully charged you should show about 449v/450v on the latest version of bms. 🙂

Welcome to the forum @rjb70stoke !

You've made a good choice and I'd go as far as saying the MG ZS EV is the best car we've ever had in over 40 years of driving (which also includes an unreliable, although very nippy, MG Metro that I'd class as one of our worst..!)

I'd agree with you about the Kona. We drove one when they first came out and compared to the Kia E-Niro at the time it felt quite cramped and an uncomfortable drive.
Updates-wise, we collected ours 2 months ago (pre-reg car in Jan21) and we appear to have the older BMS that tops out at 455/6 volts fully charged, so it can be a bit of a lottery but hopefully you'll be on the new BMS charging to 449/450v as mentioned above.

Anyway good luck and enjoy your new car day on Thursday.

Hi all,

I am new to anything EV, but after researching my options since January I have reached the conclusion that having an EV is now right for us, and it is time to ditch our Mazda CX-3 ICE car and are taking delivery of our MG ZS EV Exclusive in white, hopefully this Thursday.

I say research since January, as back then our local Mazda dealer was trying to get us to swap to the newer model CX-30, which having had a courtesy car for today, I decided was cumbersome, slow and was going to be quite expensive to run. Nice car, but not for me. On researching that car on WhatCar, the benefits of a BEV started to show up, and I had quickly drawn up a list of possible cars, which once we could (April 12th) we would test drive. Watching James and Kate on youtube, and the MGEV's podcasts reassured me about the MG.

So on the morning of April 12th we arrived at our local MG dealer (Pinkstones Stoke), who were very helpful, got in the car and basically fell in love with it. I was astonished by the overall quality, fit and finish, and the airyness due to the panoramic roof, almost sealed the deal right then and there. I did go and look at my other options, the Kona and the Ioniq (good cars), but it was the interior space in the MG that hooked me. Drive wise all were excellent, but the visibility from the MG was better, and the Kona especially felt cramped and dark. I got back and ended up ordering from Yes Lease (I am running this car through my buisness), and it arrives as I said on Thursday.

To say Im excited is an understatement. Im not sure Ive been this excited about a car, since my very first car back in 1989, which was ironically an MG Metro. I think its not just the idea of a new car, but also a new adventure, a new way of life with an EV. I know it will wear off, but I am like a kid at Christmas right now.

Just thought I would introduce myself, I will be lurking and posting as time goes on, and looking forward to being part of the community.

I do have a couple of musings though. Will my car come with all the latest updates? And how do I find out which version I am currently running? Being from a service background in the photographic industry, I always want the latest updates, and info regarding what they do and the benefits or pitfalls.

Thanks for having me.
Welcome, I to am a newbie to all things EV also. I take delivery of mine on the 14th June, I have found everyone on here really helpful and friendly and a mind of information, anything you can share with me over the next few weeks as you start your EV journey would be appreciated thanks and enjoy

Welcome, I to am a newbie to all things EV also. I take delivery of mine on the 14th June, I have found everyone on here really helpful and friendly and a mind of information, anything you can share with me over the next few weeks as you start your EV journey would be appreciated thanks and enjoy
Welcome to the forum and in to the world of EV, the MG ZS EV is my first electric car coming from a Volvo XC90 and I love it....enjoy your MG.

Its here. Really pleased with it.

Here's to the new adventure
20210422_143119.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for having me.
be careful on your choice of home charger! we chose BP PULSE in january very very poor communication long waits for telephone answering (average 10-15 mins) to find out what's happening, lie's given ie problem's,or can't fit due to our supply etc etc,was promised installed by 1st march still waiting 24/4/21.

Hi all,

Thanks for having me.
Welcome to the gang. I felt exactly the same in December, picking up mine on December 30.

I guess you have the car now. As far as software goes - if you have the latest version installed you should be fine. The dealer should do this as a matter of course. The sat nav has to be updated with a flash drive but I don‘t know how often MG will issue this or how much it will cost but most folks will use Apple Car Play Or Android Auto.

Summer is a perfect time for the EV and I have noticed the range jump from 110 miles to around 180 miles as the days have got warmer.

Having driven since 1991, all I can say is having an EV is an enjoyable learning experience.

Good to know. Been looking at the EO Mini Pro through Octopus
I have EO Mini Pro via EDF. With this you can preprogram the charge times so that you can make most use of whatever tariff you choose. I have done a lot of research and there is very little difference between tariffs and companies. Some have a smaller daily standing charge with more per KWh. Others have different off peak rates for longer or shorter hours. You really have to calculate what you think will work for you. Good luck.

I have EO Mini Pro via EDF. With this you can preprogram the charge times so that you can make most use of whatever tariff you choose. I have done a lot of research and there is very little difference between tariffs and companies. Some have a smaller daily standing charge with more per KWh. Others have different off peak rates for longer or shorter hours. You really have to calculate what you think will work for you. Good luck.
Have you had any issues with charging using the EO charger?

I've read a few have had issues with the pod point which is the other I've been looking at.

No problems with EO Mini Pro.There is a phone APP which means you can switch it on and off or pre program it as you need it. If you want to make your charger available to all, this can be done via various sites e.g. Zap-Map.(I haven’t done this).

One week in, loving the car!!! Ive never felt so relaxed driving around our area as I do now :) I've been running mainly in "E" mode, as the power is as much as we need for our daily commute. I have had a go in "S" mode, (because you have to), and boy the MG is a quick car out of the blocks, my daughters boyfriend's expletives as the power went down was priceless.

Ohme charger now on order, so looking forward to that. Completed my first charge to 100% with the granny lead last night, not sure if the trip computer needs a little more time to reset its figures but this morning with the HVAC off and just switching on without the brake pedal, I have only got 162 miles range in "E", and 152 in "N", is this normal, and going to take a bit of time to learn my driving habits? Also I noticed I have got 456V, does this suggest the old BMS software, and if I have it updated, will things change regarding range etc.? I'm not disappointed or concerned, as 160 miles on a charge is more than adequate for us, I wouldnt have had the car if it wasnt, but I am keen to eek out every saving I can running the car.

Hi all,

Thanks for having me.
I know exactly how you feel. My new Exclusive, White, also arrives on Thursday. I think I have bored my wife and family to death regarding MG EVs . Hope you enjoy your experience and I’m sure it’s a great car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom