• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

New ZS EV Pimlico Blue

Webbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone
Took delivery of my car on 1st September and did the first charge last night on the supplied charger (awaiting PodPoint installation)
The battery voltage after charging shows 456v and the range 161miles on N 177 on Eco. Having read through other posts it looks like I have the old bms which apparently is better. The car shows the outside temp so I assume that is the latest version of the infotainment software.
Really pleased with the car and doing our first long run from Leicestershire to Lancashire tomorrow.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new car, #teamblue. Surprised any new car would come with the old BMS though.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new car, #teamblue. Surprised any new car would come with the old BMS though.
I'm not, the car was meant to have tinted windows done, front parking sensors, type 2 cable and floor mats, none of this had been done when I collected the car. Going elsewhere for the tints and sensors, cable and mats brought to me today.

Not sure where you got that the old bms is apparently better.
General sentiment is that the new bms is better, mainly because of the buffer adjustment, plus it’s got charge balancing fixes in it.
A few people with the old (not problematic) bms are perfectly happy with it and aren’t rushing to update it, because no one particularly trusts the technicians not to mess it up!

BTW, see what the state is with the battery voltage after you’ve done a couple hundred miles and a couple of full AC charges, it’s possible (unconfirmed) that it may have been updated to the new bms but it takes a cycle to take affect.

General sentiment is that the new bms is better, mainly because of the buffer adjustment, plus it’s got charge balancing fixes in it.
A few people with the old (not problematic) bms are perfectly happy with it and aren’t rushing to update it, because no one particularly trusts the technicians not to mess it up!
That is part of my problem, the dealer I bought from has only had the MG franchise since May and they have had a big change of staff recently, to be honest I have found out more about the car from these forums than they seem to know.

That is part of my problem, the dealer I bought from has only had the MG franchise since May and they have had a big change of staff recently, to be honest I have found out more about the car from these forums than they seem to know.
If you have the ambient temperature showing in the info unit, then it sounds like the car has the Comfort 2 update at least !.

Hi everyone
Took delivery of my car on 1st September and did the first charge last night on the supplied charger (awaiting PodPoint installation)
The battery voltage after charging shows 456v and the range 161miles on N 177 on Eco. Having read through other posts it looks like I have the old bms which apparently is better. The car shows the outside temp so I assume that is the latest version of the infotainment software.
Really pleased with the car and doing our first long run from Leicestershire to Lancashire tomorrow.
Enjoy

BTW, see what the state is with the battery voltage after you’ve done a couple hundred miles and a couple of full AC charges, it’s possible (unconfirmed) that it may have been updated to the new bms but it takes a cycle to take affect.
I have now done several AC charges on the Podpoint and the battery voltage is still 456 and range 178 on Eco, I rang the dealer and they claim to have checked with MG and I have the latest BMS. According to a podcast I just watched it should be 445 to 449, who is right?

Attachments

• 2021-09-19 08.56.16.jpg
    2021-09-19 08.56.16.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 97
I have now done several AC charges on the Podpoint and the battery voltage is still 456 and range 178 on Eco, I rang the dealer and they claim to have checked with MG and I have the latest BMS. According to a podcast I just watched it should be 445 to 449, who is right?
Maybe MG are excluding a certain range of VIN numbered vehicles from the Latest BMS update, or the dealers are, for fear of messing it up ?

I agree !.
You appear to be running on the factory OEM software at 456 volts.
New BMS should display 448 - 450 volts.
Yes, the old BMS is not a worry for me as, apart from once last year, I never rapid charge, I top up a bit at Tescos 7kW chargers for free most of the time and do a full charge and balance once a month at home on my 7kW Pod Point. I can't see this regime doing any harm to the battery.
The only advantage I would have with the new BMS is the regen braking from full charge, but even that is no big deal as Regen seems to start working again after about 3-4 miles running.

Yes, the old BMS is not a worry for me as, apart from once last year, I never rapid charge, I top up a bit at Tescos 7kW chargers for free most of the time and do a full charge and balance once a month at home on my 7kW Pod Point. I can't see this regime doing any harm to the battery.
The only advantage I would have with the new BMS is the regen braking from full charge, but even that is no big deal as Regen seems to start working again after about 3-4 miles running.
If it’s not broke, why try and fix it !.

You def have not got the latest BMS.
If you can maybe use another dealer who hopefully may have a bit of a clue...

I feel same being on original BMS 456v. Unless MG insist on first service I will leave as is. Not sure how organised MG UK are really as not a lot of coherent communication with us the punters detected or even their own dealers.

I feel same being on original BMS 456v. Unless MG insist on first service I will leave as is. Not sure how organised MG UK are really as not a lot of coherent communication with us the punters detected or even their own dealers.
Your right of course, but it’s a real shame that certain dealers are avoiding the direct instruction via the MG service protocol.
A good dealer will update the car without question or problems.
In fact, you as the owner should not have the choice in the mater !.
The car should receive the latest updates regardless of customers wishes to avoid issues in the future.
Is this an exercise to test each different software versions I wonder ?.
Update a few cars that are affected by range issues etc and leave the rest ?.
I am more likely to believe that dealers are only implementing BMS updates, either by customer request, or if the car has issues regarding range / charging etc.
And then following instructions from the MG Tech Team.
Many dealers don’t have experienced EV Tech’s in hand.
They are still struggling to get their heads around the technology.
Personal, I would try and chose a dealer who has had a lot of experienceworking on earlier EV models like the Nissan Leaf etc.
A lot of new EV Tech’s have never driven or lifted the bonnet on a EV before the ZS EV arrived on site.
Some really embrace and welcome the technology, while others keep it firmly pushed away at a full arms length.
These are the ones to avoid.
EV’s are here to stay, the sooner some dealers realise this, the better.
Ship up, or ship out people !.

My concern with the latest BMS is how well it has been tested by MG. It was rushed out to solve battery issues and I just wonder, in those circumstances, if corners were cut? We'll never know!

When my car went in for its 2nd year service a few months ago, my dealer phoned me up (Richmond Portsmouth) and asked if they could keep the car a few hours longer as it was missing 3 updates one being the latest BMS as the updates were part of the MG campaign update program . So to my mind if it's part of a campaign every car should get the latest updates as advised by MG , maybe some dealers don't want the car sat in their workshop for hours updating or is it MG themselves deciding on which cars get the updates?

When my car went in for its 2nd year service a few months ago, my dealer phoned me up (Richmond Portsmouth) and asked if they could keep the car a few hours longer as it was missing 3 updates one being the latest BMS as the updates were part of the MG campaign update program . So to my mind if it's part of a campaign every car should get the latest updates as advised by MG , maybe some dealers don't want the car sat in their workshop for hours updating or is it MG themselves deciding on which cars get the updates?
You have a good proactive dealer, they are a “Keeper” !.
A lot of dealers only want an easy life and therefore only want to conduct simple service requirements.
Nothing that is likely to interrupt the flow through the workshop.
The only problem with this type of mind set, is that eventually nobody with an EV will visit your dealership.
So as we mover forward, the service department collapses due to the lack of work.
The smart money is on people getting in on the act early.
The better dealers have experienced EV Tech’s who have worked on previous gen cars like the Nissan Leaf etc.
Cut their teeth early doors.
These EV Tech’s should naming their own salaries, as they are in such short supply.
Sending ICE Tech’s on a crash 2 week EV course, is not fair on the Tech’s or the customers visiting the dealership.
Talk about a baptism of fire 🔥!.

My concern with the latest BMS is how well it has been tested by MG. It was rushed out to solve battery issues and I just wonder, in those circumstances, if corners were cut? We'll never know!
Don't forget the BMS is actually on it's 2nd iteration now since being changed to 450v, so if you get the updated one it's not actually the "rushed out version"

As a matter of interest, if I was going in for the new BMS and I presented my car with the battery charges and the voltage over 450V, would they be able to apply the new one or would they have to run the battery to below 450V before applying ?
Is it better to present it with a high charge or a low charge, regarding balancing after ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom