Noisy brakes

John Griffiths

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello all
Had my ZSEV for three months now and done about 1500 miles. I love it and it’s the best car I have owned starting with a Vauxhall Viva in 1965. But I have two gripes, the first is the flimsy mounting of the charging cover and obviously there is nothing that can be done about this on current cars, but far worse is the brake noise on first braking overnight. This is by far the loudest noise the car ever makes and louder than any car I have had. The squealing is from the front discs and I’m wondering if MG in China don’t have any copper grease for the back of the pads.

Mine started doing the same thing today never done it before just passed 1000 miles and it started might spray some wd 40 on them might work?
Don’t do it! WD-40 shouldn’t be anywhere near your brakes. Not only will you ruin them, but you could end up ruining yourself when they fail to work...

Don’t do it! WD-40 shouldn’t be anywhere near your brakes. Not only will you ruin them, but you could end up ruining yourself when they fail to work...
Absolutely spot on !.
Never get any lubricant ANY where near the fiction material of any brake lining’s, if you want the car to stop ✋ the next time you hit the brakes.
The pads need removing and the calliper body cleaning, then a light film of anti squeal lubricant applying to the steel backing pad of the pads and reinstalling.
Is it a “Grating” sound that goes away after the first couple of applications of the foot brake.
If so, this is very likely to be only a thin film of surface rust that has built up on the steel disc rotors over night.
A common feature of a EV that is due to the brakes not getting a lot of hard work, due to the Regen braking feature.
If it is a high pitched squeal each time you apply the foot brake, then the best long term fix is to remove clean and lub the backing plates.
Touch wood, my car has covered almost 12,000 miles and is now 15 months old.
The car was serviced at 13 months old but I any 99.9% sure the front pads have not been removed as part of that service !.
A quick check of the wear condition is the very most you are likely to receive.
I have never experienced any brake noise other that the noise I hear when first pressing the brake, IF I have washed the car the previous day and not used it.
The grating noise ( caused by surface rust ) will soon disappears after the first couple of applications of the foot brake.

A light pressure on the brake pedal as you move off usually clears the rust from the brake pads. I used to get the same on my ICE cars every morning, but then we are only 200 yards from the sea.

Many thanks will take it back to the dealership to sort out only 5 weeks old love the but not the noise

To clean the brake discs, go down a hill with the ACC set, it will apply the friction brake,
You may have light duty glazing.

Mine has the same issue, started after a few hundred KM's, I also use regen 3 most of the time so usually only brake for the last 10 m or so, which may explain the issue as others have suggested above.

Give you car a run out with higher speed braking now and then. It will free up the brakes and remove any surface crud on the discs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom