chowbenter

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Interesting development.

Only about 160 miles of range on that at the moment though.

I suspect it would be brilliant for people who can't charge at home and who would really value a very quick charge even though it might be relatively frequent. Depending on what you have to do to balance the cells and how often, though.

Me, I'd still prefer my SR because that extra 50 miles or so means I'll hardly ever have to charge away from home, so frankly the time it takes to charge isn't an issue for me.

Interesting development.

Only about 160 miles of range on that at the moment though.

I suspect it would be brilliant for people who can't charge at home and who would really value a very quick charge even though it might be relatively frequent. Depending on what you have to do to balance the cells and how often, though.

Me, I'd still prefer my SR because that extra 50 miles or so means I'll hardly ever have to charge away from home, so frankly the time it takes to charge isn't an issue for me.
Indeed your SR suits you. However the ability to get on a charger and off as quickly as possible at rapids would allow a greater turnover of vehicles per hour/day which would help ease queueing, i.e. greater more efficient usage of existing infrastructure. This particularly applies to in journey charging.
Secondly it would bring it 'closer' to the fossil fuel filling experience, after all who wants a cuppa whilst the car fills itself :) .

Absolutely agree. Horses for courses. I'm really only referring to the range. At the moment I'd rather have the range I have and not stop at all, than have 40 or 50 miles less, which would mean a much higher chance that I'd have to stop on an ordinary day out.

If the range was comparable to the range of existing EV batteries, that objection would vanish. All the advantages you mention would win the day.

Absolutely agree. Horses for courses. I'm really only referring to the range. At the moment I'd rather have the range I have and not stop at all, than have 40 or 50 miles less, which would mean a much higher chance that I'd have to stop on an ordinary day out.

If the range was comparable to the range of existing EV batteries, that objection would vanish. All the advantages you mention would win the day.
I think that is just an example of speed achieved, range 160 charge in 6 minutes, imagine range 240 and charge in 9 minutes.

Indeed. I think a lot of it depends on the daily mileage you want to be able to rely on even in winter. I could manage fine on 160 miles range if it was that - in January in the middle of a big freeze! But that's unrealistic. I have the 218-mile range SR and so long as it can cope with a round trip of 110 or 120 miles in freezing winter conditions I'm happy. I wouldn't want to go lower. I wouldn't trust a nominal 160-mile battery to cover a journey like that, getting back without range anxiety, in these conditions.

But other people will have their own red lines for daily mileage.

Indeed. I think a lot of it depends on the daily mileage you want to be able to rely on even in winter. I could manage fine on 160 miles range if it was that - in January in the middle of a big freeze! But that's unrealistic. I have the 218-mile range SR and so long as it can cope with a round trip of 110 or 120 miles in freezing winter conditions I'm happy. I wouldn't want to go lower. I wouldn't trust a nominal 160-mile battery to cover a journey like that, getting back without range anxiety, in these conditions.

But other people will have their own red lines for daily mileage.
This thread is about Nyovolt battery's charging speed rather than range. The newsworthy point they are making is the speed the battery can charge, not that they have built a battery with a 160 mile range.
Charging speed at public rapids depends on 2 factors the cars ability and the power of the charger. This battery takes away the need for ever more powerful chargers needed for faster charging and allows the car the ability to charge faster on existing infrastructure.

Indeed. I was thinking however that they were talking about the 160-mile battery because that's all they'd managed to build, and that's what would be available. If they can produce a longer range that charges just as quickly, then it's a total game-changer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom