• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Octopus - almost Go

D

Deleted member 2439

Well, they’ve advised me that my Go will be activated at midnight tonight - so 🤞 for that. I’ll have the car plugged in on the timer, now that it works 🤔, and the home battery system also set to charge up to max during that window.

It‘s all been a bit of a faff I must say. The smart meter installation went well enough last week, but then getting them to put me onto Go was a right palaver! In the end they beat their own processes, I hate process, and from being accepted for Go, it was only 72 hours until the tariff will be live - hopefully. This is against the 14 day period they kept drumming into me. Hey ho.

So here’s to drinking deeply at the trough of 5p per kWh. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Yes, but only seems to be showing the electric tariff info - but somehow displays the gas cash amount. The novelty factor has almost worn off with it though- I have other displays with the solar PV system which do pretty much the same & it was interesting to compare between them. I also have apps from the solar panels, battery system & Zappi - all of which tell similar info 🤪

Don't worry about it being an anti-climax, I'm still waiting for my meter that was installed in November to connect. After months of chasing I've finally got an appointment at the end of February!

Don't worry about it being an anti-climax, I'm still waiting for my meter that was installed in November to connect. After months of chasing I've finally got an appointment at the end of February!
Having exactly the same problem. It's with the "meter team"......yeah right!

Mines installed on Monday last week & I went live with Go a week later 👍

Well, they’ve advised me that my Go will be activated at midnight tonight - so 🤞 for that. I’ll have the car plugged in on the timer, now that it works 🤔, and the home battery system also set to charge up to max during that window.

It‘s all been a bit of a faff I must say. The smart meter installation went well enough last week, but then getting them to put me onto Go was a right palaver! In the end they beat their own processes, I hate process, and from being accepted for Go, it was only 72 hours until the tariff will be live - hopefully. This is against the 14 day period they kept drumming into me. Hey ho.

So here’s to drinking deeply at the trough of 5p per kWh. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
Seems a bit of a nightmare for you. In contrast we waited just over a week to change to Octopus and then less than a week to transfer to Go (while they moved the account over) so all good so far.

Since our meter was installed it's been 83 days and still not been transferred over to Go. I feel an email to the CEO will be my next port of call. And I shall be demanding a refund......

My energy deal with "Outfox The Market" is coming to an end in February, where I got 12p + VAT per kWh unit.

All Comparison Site searches I made for the best dual fuel deal over the past 2 days could not beat that price.

Octopus GO was certainly near for the daytime rate at .137p per kWh but firstly I have to let them install me a SMART 2 Meter which is fine, then I start on a 12 month fixed tariff at just under .16p per kWh.

However, once the new tariff has started, I can apply to be swapped over to their "GO" tariff for the cheaper deal.

Luckily, we have our Washing Machine and Tumble Dryer all equipped with delay timers, so they can work away during the 4 hour cheap tariff at night that GO has to offer along with charging the cars, "make hey while the sun shines" as they say.

My ROLEC Dumb box I am upgrading with a "Shelly 1 Relay" that has had the Firmware flashed to work with our Apple Homekit Automation, so very simple to program the ON/OFF time for the ROLEC Car Charger.

And out of these hours, I can simply use the Apple HOME app on the iPhone or iPad to manually switch the charger On/Off OR simply ask "Siri voice activation" to do it for me.

Looking forward to getting on Octopus GO asap.

Andy (Blackpool)

Last edited:
My Octopus in-home display is constantly rebooting. The green row of lights on the smart meter are also flashing. Anyone encountered this?

My Octopus in-home display is constantly rebooting. The green row of lights on the smart meter are also flashing. Anyone encountered this?
The installer told us it does that when looking for a signal. Although I think we had Bulb install the smart meter just prior to changing to Octopus. (Bulb could do the meter change quicker)

Yes. I think it’s looking - unsuccessfully at the moment!

Smart Meters use GPRS for sending the data to the energy supplier, but the display actually uses Wi Fi 2.4 kHz to send data to it.

Some bedtime reading here if your interested.

Andy (Blackpool)

Smart Meters use GPRS for sending the data to the energy supplier, but the display actually uses Wi Fi 2.4 kHz to send data to it.

Some bedtime reading here if your interested.

Andy (Blackpool)
Actually, the country is split in half - roughly along the line of the Humber. South of the line uses O2 cellular service & north uses a hybrid solution from Arquiva. More details on line, but 2 separate contracts.

Actually, the country is split in half - roughly along the line of the Humber. South of the line uses O2 cellular service & north uses a hybrid solution from Arquiva. More details on line, but 2 separate contracts.
Pretty sure the display connects over zigbee, my display gets a signal through 3 brick walls.

My experience of smart meters and the in home display so far is they’re very hit and miss. mine has not worked as much time as it has. Octopus can be slow to respond too. Advertising says it’s a great way to keep on top of your costs using the home display!

I’m beginning to think that I should have gone with Thunderbirds are Go instead..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom