Octopus Energy

mj224

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Sadly have to say that I have come to an end with Octopus Energy Company. My power bills for the last two months have come to £560 approx. Despite my usage/meter readings showing about £130 per month.

They claim they were given a inaccurate reading for an Electric Meter installed in 2008, thus are "catching up".

Jeez, I have all my meter reading for several years before changing over from Ecotricity to Octopus, what 2008 has got to do with it G only knows.

I am back to Ecotricity, not the cheapest, but at least they get the bills right.

Octopus are either incompetent of scammers IMHO.

Sadly have to say that I have come to an end with Octopus Energy Company. My power bills for the last two months have come to £560 approx. Despite my usage/meter readings showing about £130 per month.

They claim they were given a inaccurate reading for an Electric Meter installed in 2008, thus are "catching up".

Jeez, I have all my meter reading for several years before changing over from Ecotricity to Octopus, what 2008 has got to do with it G only knows.

I am back to Ecotricity, not the cheapest, but at least they get the bills right.

That's a shame - sorry to hear about your troubles. Personally, I've been okay and they've billed me correctly since joining them 2 months ago and I've been able to monitor my energy consumption using my account on their website every day so I'm happy with them.

My daughter is also with Octopus but has to provide them with monthly readings and it's taken nearly a year for her monthly payments to correctly reflect her usage!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Or maybe you could talk to them about the issue and resolve it?

Why can’t anyone make a mistake any more without being labelled a scammer? 🤦‍♂️

More likely to be incompetent than a scammer I agree .

I have been a customer of theirs for over a year, and have not taken a lot of notice of energy bills. Always seemed reasonable.

But over the last few months the bills have been excessively high, I exploded when they wanted to bill me for over £400 not long after another £250ish invoice. Customer services waived the £400 invoice, saying that my account was being looked at. They say that the problem was an incorrect meter reading in 2008., after a meter change. ***, I can't remember the meter being changed then, British gas was the provider then.

In May. I told them if things were not sorted I would be off. I was assured things were now sorted, but still faced a £250ish invoice. I let that go, but again this month I have another £256 invoice, making a well over £500 for the two months.

Had enough, so going back to Ecotricity, not the cheapest, but at least they got it right.

Or maybe you could talk to them about the issue and resolve it?

Why can’t anyone make a mistake any more without being labelled a scammer? 🤦‍♂️

A mistake is possible, but not after several months of asking them to get it sorted..

Incompetent comes to mind

I have been with Octopus since Dec 2020 first on the Agile Rate then on the Go rate. After numerous e mails over the period since December regarding high usage levels and getting fobbed off. I very recently was able to prove that my usage readings on my meter was exactly double what they should have been. After a number of E mails they eventually admitted that the particular model of smart meter I had did give data that needed to be interpreted in a different way and that yes I had been charged double my usage since Joining Octopus. The thing that annoyed me most was the admission that they knew that model of meter was giving incorrect data and that numerous other customers also had this meter yet they were not correcting the issue. That was just unbelievable.

I have been with Octopus since Dec 2020 first on the Agile Rate then on the Go rate. After numerous e mails over the period since December regarding high usage levels and getting fobbed off. I very recently was able to prove that my usage readings on my meter was exactly double what they should have been. After a number of E mails they eventually admitted that the particular model of smart meter I had did give data that needed to be interpreted in a different way and that yes I had been charged double my usage since Joining Octopus. The thing that annoyed me most was the admission that they knew that model of meter was giving incorrect data and that numerous other customers also had this meter yet they were not correcting the issue. That was just unbelievable.
Still, I suppose if you look at it from a glass half full view, it does mean you'll get the next year's electricity for free as you've already paid for it! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Bloggsy

I've been with Octopus for 4+ years and my only issue is the erratic nature of their bills. Some months they only bill me for Gas others for Electricity. Some months I have two Gas entries and an Electric entry. I can imagine that this could cause all sorts of confusions. But the figures do seem to add up... or do they... as it's raining outside I may spend an hour going through them.

I’ve not received a bill/made a payment yet to octopus, changed to them almost 2 months ago, not sure if that’s normal!
Had EON before, totally incompetent, went through 3 meters before they finally got one working properly and updated there system with the right meter number, all sorts of billings issues, debt collectors threatening me despite having paid the same day as receiving the bills, took literally months and hours on phone to people to get it finally sorted - then I left them ASAP.

I'm still on one of their regular tariffs, no point changing yet since I dont have a smart meter or charging point. But they've been OK with me so far. Email once a month to remind me for a meter reading, and get the bill emailed back within a day or two. Very little gets used in my house though, so there's rarely any chance for them to cock it up (although EON managed to do that, spectacularly so. Hitting me with a £500 bill for a month, despite my regular usage being well under £100).

I've been with Octopus Go since the beginning of last year and I have to say the service I have had has been excellent including swapping both my 1st Generation Smart meters that were put in by Shell Energy over to the new 2nd Generation ones. I am on the Go tariff for my cheap night time charging. I get regular bills and usage statements. Up to now I can't fault Octopus Energy.

Sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience. My entire family (3 households) are with octopus and we have found them nothing short of exemplary. People so get things wrong. So do companies. I don’t think that makes them scammers or dishonest. In my experience of several utility companies I have found them to be the most honest helpful and friendly. My brother in laws switch from standard to go tariff was delayed due to some technical reasons. They paid him £10 per day the switch was delayed and £50 for getting things wrong. I know of no other company that would do that.

I’ve not received a bill/made a payment yet to octopus, changed to them almost 2 months ago, not sure if that’s normal!
Had EON before, totally incompetent, went through 3 meters before they finally got one working properly and updated there system with the right meter number, all sorts of billings issues, debt collectors threatening me despite having paid the same day as receiving the bills, took literally months and hours on phone to people to get it finally sorted - then I left them ASAP.
My initial billing was slow - about 2 Months also I think.

I’m in a 4 bed detached house with garden room, charging 2 cars and I’m only £80 a month for gas and electricity combined on Octopus Agile and currently almost £300 in credit.
My account is in credit so I just logged on and dropped my monthly payment.

Has anyone put an emersion hot water heater on a timer for the overnight 4 hours slot to use instead of the gas boiler? I take it the pictured would do the job but is it cheaper?

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_215711.jpg
    IMG_20210706_215711.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20210706_215907.jpg
    IMG_20210706_215907.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 164
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back