Octopus energy

Phil752

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
thinking of changing to Octopus, is the 4 hours 5p cheap rate, automatically set up when the account becomes active

I was also thinking of moving to Octopus as my fixed rate with British Gas runs out in November. However, I am now beg to question if it is worth moving to a company with an off peak rate. I only charge my car once a week as my weekly mileage is around 150 miles. I pay 0.1715 pkwh and it costs about £5.15 to charge the car as opposed to £1.50 if I went with off peak Octopus.

Taking into account the higher rate for during the day I don’t think it is worthwhile and I may be better off trying to find the best rate overall.

I thought that the energy side of Octopus was just a small part of it's operation so should be ok with the gas and electric price increases

Octopus is a big company, it doesn't look they'll go.

Once you switch to Octopus/it becomes live, you then login and choose to change to the EV tariff. Not sure why they do it like this - maybe they want to see the meter is sending readings through properly before they let to switch to it.

Feel free to use my referral code, in return I'll send you a 3d printed MG granny charger wall holder!!!

Remember you don't have to move your gas to them too if you don't want to/are on a cheaper gas deal.

As you surmise, they wait to see a reliable stream of half hourly readings before you can be approved for the Go tariff.

In fact, one of the things you have to do is manually authorise the half hourly readings because it doesn't do it by default.

I have just changed to Octopus for Electric.
(Just a little worried now about the gas going bust).

When I signed up I followed a link for Octopus Go with a referral code so switching to Go was almost automatic.
I already had a working Smart meter, it changed over to Octopus on Thursday and I got an email Friday asking to agree to the Go T&Cs. Reply came Saturday saying it was active.

So far charged the car once (22kW). Sunday Morning.
Dishwasher has a delay button, so ran it overnight yesterday and it will run tonight during the cheap period.

My Ohme cable worked fine - it has a misleading/hard to read display as it looks like it's going to charge for 8 hours, but it only charges in the cheap rate period.

Octopus CEO Greg said on sky news his business has been buying/hedging for winter needs, and other big companies do the same. Its the small companies that have been running on a pray is going to take a hit.

Video of Greg half way down the page:

Octopus CEO Greg said on sky news his business has been buying/hedging for winter needs, and other big companies do the same. Its the small companies that have been running on a pray is going to take a hit.

Video of Greg half way down the page:
I'm on bulb now, but debating either staying with bulb and signing up for the EV tariff or going to Octopus and getting on the Go or Go Faster tariffs... the question for me is how on earth can they keep the peak tariff at 16p, is there going to be a huge hike / will they prevent people from joining this EV tarif at some point?

I'm on bulb now, but debating either staying with bulb and signing up for the EV tariff or going to Octopus and getting on the Go or Go Faster tariffs... the question for me is how on earth can they keep the peak tariff at 16p, is there going to be a huge hike / will they prevent people from joining this EV tarif at some point?
You might not get a chance to stay with Bulb as reports are suggesting it's very likely they go bust soon. They currently trying to get a bailout

I was also thinking of moving to Octopus as my fixed rate with British Gas runs out in November. However, I am now beg to question if it is worth moving to a company with an off peak rate. I only charge my car once a week as my weekly mileage is around 150 miles. I pay 0.1715 pkwh and it costs about £5.15 to charge the car as opposed to £1.50 if I went with off peak Octopus.

Taking into account the higher rate for during the day I don’t think it is worthwhile and I may be better off trying to find the best rate overall.
wouldn't it be 25p not 1.5 pounds

I'm in the process of switching from BG ('leccy only, historically the incumbent supplier). Couldn't switch straight away when we moved in as there was an issue with the address not being recognised ( basically, the computer says "Huh?"). Now that's sorted I've transferred to Octopus. That's all gone live without issue so far. We are currently on an Economy 7 tariff and have a smart meter on order. I'll switch to Octopus Go when that is installed and proven.

Dishwasher, washing machine and immersion heater for summertime domestic hot water are all on timers. My charge point is a PodPoint, which can do charge scheduling since the last OTA upgrade. I've got it currently for a start at 00:30 and ending at 10:00. That makes sure I get a full charge starting from ~30-40% at low rate, plus an equalisation which takes less power, and can overlap into the day rate if needs be.

I've got a series of posts on the changeover running in the Octopus Referral Link thread at Octopus Go Referral Link, which I'll (probably) keep updated.

If you'd like a referral link for Octopus (gives us both 50 quid credit for new signups) its: share.octopus.energy/umber-fly-66

Last edited:
I've just been informed by OFGEM that I'm being moved to Octopus (previous supplier Avro was one that collapsed). No details on tariff yet but I don't foresee myself heading to their cheap rates between midnight and 4am (or whatever it is) as my electricity use in the day would wipe that out quickly.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom