• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Octopus Go or Agile

Severnless

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Help!!

We are having a smart meter fitted tomorrow (27th) but still can’t decide which tariff to go for.
We have an Ohme charger fitted already, so have the capacity to work with both the Go and Agile tariff.
Our problem is cooking. We have to use an electric hob and oven during the peak time ie 4-7pm
So on Agile during that time it can be up to 30p/kWh and 21p/day
On the Go tariff it’s either 13p/kw or 5p/kw for 4 hours during the off peak and 25p/day
Like I said it’s only the cooking that’s the problem and we can’t feed the kids salad for the rest of their lives!
Everything else in our house we can program to come on during off peak (dish washer, washing machine and tumble dryer)
So is there anyone else out there that has been on the Go tariff and have changed to Agile and can say hand on heart it’s worked out cheaper?
Look forward to your replies

Thanks for your thoughts Mark ?
Well the smart meter has been fitted both on leccy and gas, just got to wait 14days before we change the tariff
We are thinking to go with the Agile, but review after 12 months to see if we are actually saving anything.?

@Severnless
You plan to monitor for 12months and switch makes sense.
Apparently if you are 9 to 5 but tend to cook breakfast and otherwise cook at weekends then Go may work.
If you work from home or you are at home during the day then apparently the Agile is better.
Others claim the only way to benefit from the Agile is to have every electric appliance off from 4 pm to 22pm otherwise you may end up paying more.
I am on Go just because it is simple for me to understand.

Thanks for the reply KasEV ?
I know what you mean with all appliances off during peak times with Agile, but the thing that puts us off the Go tariff is it’s only off peak for 4 hours whereas Agile will work with our Ohme for the cheapest rate automatically.
To be honest if you try to work out the best tariffs, then the what ifs start to pick at the back of your head!?
Like I said we’ve got to wait 14days before we can swap, so all we’ve done so far is register our interest in the Agile with octopus.

I don't want to negative, but the thought of all these washing machines / tumble dryers bursting into flames ....at the dead of night..... would worry me more than the extra costs involved.

I know exactly what you are saying Chris, but I’m a firm believer in maintaining appliances and purchasing the best make possible so all our appliances are ‘Miele’ and they all get the once over (good clean!) every month other than the dryer which is every other use.
So I’m comfortable with using time delay on them all.
Also make sure fire alarms are up to scratch.

I’m with EDF and got a fixed rate of .1170 per kWh excluding the daily charge. My current deal expires May 21.

I'm with Octopus Go and use the overnight tariff at 5p / kwh, but the EV Energy App is not working with the MG so have to Plug my car into the 7Kwh Rolec Charger and start the charge late at night, usually before the 12.30 switch on. Then the car charges to 100% before switching off, controlled by the car. The only other way I've found to take advantage of the cheap 5p rate is use the Slow 3 Kwh Charger controlled on a timer. It means I have to Charge more than one night a week, but no problem.

As a side point I've written to EV Energy and MG, they say that they are working on a 'Fix'.
MG UK based Engineers are currently testing a software update which will resolve the issue we are experiencing. Once available MG will communicate it to EV Energy so they can inform their customers.

I'm with Octopus Go and use the overnight tariff at 5p / kwh, but the EV Energy App is not working with the MG so have to Plug my car into the 7Kwh Rolec Charger and start the charge late at night, usually before the 12.30 switch on. Then the car charges to 100% before switching off, controlled by the car. The only other way I've found to take advantage of the cheap 5p rate is use the Slow 3 Kwh Charger controlled on a timer. It means I have to Charge more than one night a week, but no problem.

As a side point I've written to EV Energy and MG, they say that they are working on a 'Fix'.
MG UK based Engineers are currently testing a software update which will resolve the issue we are experiencing. Once available MG will communicate it to EV Energy so they can inform their customers.

Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware that ev.energy doesn't work with this tariff, so not worth me making the change yet. I assume you use a Rolec charger as well.

I went on to the Agile tariff earlier this month and I do not know if the rates are higher in December but I think I would have been cheaper on the go tariff this past month. The overnight rates have never been lower than 6.05p and that was last night only, the average overnight rate for the month has been just over 8.27p with the high peak rate at approx 33.00p, obviously most of the day is just under the standard rate but we will see for another month or so but if the rates do not come down I think we will opt for the GO tariff considering we can have most of our high capacity usage done in the 4hr period of the GO tariff.

I don't want to negative, but the thought of all these washing machines / tumble dryers bursting into flames ....at the dead of night..... would worry me more than the extra costs involved.
I look at this way, we have had a washing machine, dishwasher for our entire life and never had so much as a fuse blow so the likelihood of one of these appliances blowing up is extremely remote unless it’s a whirlpool appliance. ( don’t trust them at all) As to the tumble dryer we would never leave it unattended, that would be risky.....

I think it all depends on how often you charge your electric car and whether you can use your appliances at night, for me doing about 100 miles a week and unable to use the appliances due to pets sleeping in the same room, I found EDF electric tariff was the cheapest overall with octopus a close second I pay a flat rate of 12.5p a KW

Hi Guys,
Our praise of Octopus may come to an end in the new year. We have to watch closely. I am on Octopus Go and been waiting the whole year for a smart meter swap as for some reason my old smart meter from British gas does not work with Octopus. I have not benefitted from the 5 p night rates and been on a flat rate about 15p. Looks like I could have had cheaper deals like the EDF 12.5p flat rate
Now I hear Octopus has been taken over by the Japanese. This takeover seems to be setting us up for a price hike. Not sure about Octopus any more.

Hi Guys,
Our praise of Octopus may come to an end in the new year. We have to watch closely. I am on Octopus Go and been waiting the whole year for a smart meter swap as for some reason my old smart meter from British gas does not work with Octopus. I have not benefitted from the 5 p night rates and been on a flat rate about 15p. Looks like I could have had cheaper deals like the EDF 12.5p flat rate
Now I hear Octopus has been taken over by the Japanese. This takeover seems to be setting us up for a price hike. Not sure about Octopus any more.
Help! Octopus taken over? I've been with them for quite a while, not on the 5p rate but their standard economy 7 9p/16p rate. Maybe I'll have to shop around when my current tariff ends in March 21. Thanks for the heads up KasEV.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom