Octopus Go Setup Problems

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

I switched to Octopus Go over a week ago but my IHD (home display) still shows the old rate.

When I did the switch I got an error and when I go online into the Octopus dashboard I can't see hourly data for my account. It just says we are getting your account ready for the new tariff.

I spoke to Octopus about this a couple of times and they said the IHD doesn't work with Go and everything is fine, just chill etc...

I just wanted to know other people's experiences as I am not that confident the switch was successfully done.

How can I be confident I am being billed correctly and how do I see my daily usage?

Does anyone have an IHD that works with Go?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Last edited:
I don't have my IHD plugged in I just use the app, as long it is showing 30 minute readings then you should see what is being used in your 4 hour window.

I switched from another Octopus tariff to Go a few months ago. It took a couple of weeks for everything to show up on the website, app and In Home Display (IHD).

I suspect my IHD is wildly inaccurate and in any case cannot calculate costs for Go electricity given the 2 rates for cheap and normal tariffs.

The app is pretty good but can take around 36 hours to show usage.

if you want detailed stats (in 30 min slots) you can download them from the website.

Do you have an app for your EVSE or are you charging with a ‘granny’? The app for my Wallbox shows the kWhs put into the car, and the cost. You just enter the unit cost and it does the rest. When my electricity bill is available online, it has a complete breakdown of my usage. Pages and pages of it 🤣

I have a Zappi app, will take a look at what it offers.

Thanks for all the advice folks, I will wait a bit as Octopus have admitted something was set wrong on my account, so I will wait and see what data I can get from the Octopus app after a few days.

I did also try the experimental Octopus App, but after logging in it freezes up, I still think there's something odd on my account: it shows 2 smart meters with the same serial number and one uncontactable with errors and the one showing data.

@tsedge
That does sound odd. I am on Octopus Go, and their app works well, though doesn’t show usage until the following day. I don’t have an IHD connected, as it, and my smart meters, were installed years ago by another electricity provider, and the IHD doesn’t communicate with Octopus.

@tsedge
That does sound odd. I am on Octopus Go, and their app works well, though doesn’t show usage until the following day. I don’t have an IHD connected, as it, and my smart meters, were installed years ago by another electricity provider, and the IHD doesn’t communicate with Octopus.
Yes, I think the time for IHDs has passed, which is really silly, if only the things had an open API I could probably drive it from Octopus web services. Might end up building my own version of an IHD if I can pull data reliably from Octopus.

You can't pull data in real time from Octopus. I think there is an additional device (Hildebrand Bright or something like that) which allows you to but even that is not real time IIRC, something like a 30 minute delay.

You can use their APIs to grab your historic data but that now seems to be nearly 2 days behind (used to be 1)

I have solar and I use the (older style) IHD to get a feel for how much excess power I have during the day, as it reports power flow including negative. I also use it occasionally to check the charger has come on at 21:30 as planned - saves a walk out to the garage.

You can't pull data in real time from Octopus. I think there is an additional device (Hildebrand Bright or something like that) which allows you to but even that is not real time IIRC, something like a 30 minute delay.

You can use their APIs to grab your historic data but that now seems to be nearly 2 days behind (used to be 1)

I have solar and I use the (older style) IHD to get a feel for how much excess power I have during the day, as it reports power flow including negative. I also use it occasionally to check the charger has come on at 21:30 as planned - saves a walk out to the garage.
Thanks, yes I am fine with delayed, just like to get an accurate handle on what I am spending and when. As you say the IHD is useful for power flow.

You know you can download your half hour data as a csv file from Explore my Energy Usage in your account webpage....

You know you can download your half hour data as a csv file from Explore my Energy Usage in your account webpage....
I use that to double check when my charging actually takes place as for some reason the app ev.energy seems to be half an hour out. Clip below shows an extract for a nights charging on Go.
I have also noticed that the next half hour after 4:30am is consistently higher than the background should be at that time of day. Anyone else notice this or is it just mine. The app even knows this as on the charge summary it calculates the price of the whole charge and it's more than the Go price.

Consumption (kWh)DateStart TimeEnd Time
0.0612022-11-0300:00:0000:30:00
3.1642022-11-0300:30:0001:00:00
3.612022-11-0301:00:0001:30:00
3.6232022-11-0301:30:0002:00:00
3.642022-11-0302:00:0002:30:00
3.6152022-11-0302:30:0003:00:00
3.5992022-11-0303:00:0003:30:00
3.6192022-11-0303:30:0004:00:00
3.6152022-11-0304:00:0004:30:00
0.4182022-11-0304:30:0005:00:00
0.0342022-11-0305:00:0005:30:00

Looks like the timing might be a bit out as your first half hour (00:30) is a bit lighter than the rest, so maybe the charge is starting at 00:35.

How do you manage the timing? I used to use a SONOFF switch but chopped off the first and last 5 minutes to cater for just this kind of thing. I now have an OHME set up to only charge at cheap rate but I've not really looked at it too much yet.

I have also noticed that the next half hour after 4:30am is consistently higher than the background should be at that time of day. Anyone else notice this or is it just mine.
I suspect it's still charging after 0430. I set my timer to stop at 0429 just to give a buffer and don't see this issue.

Octopus Home Mini lets you get real-time readings.
For some reason mine doesn't show export but import is working fine.

There's a waiting list but, in my experience, they're getting them out reasonably quickly.

I have a fixed rate for my energy until the beginning of October current rate electric 19.45p/kWh 23.77 p/day
Gas 3.78p kwh 26.12 p/day
unfortunately E.on next currently don’t have a EV rate.
I noticed OVO currently have until the end of the month a 24/7 rate of 10p per kWh for EV charging , I’m not aware of any other energy company offer 24/7 barging at a fixed rate.
This is available for new customer now obviously you need to look at the electric & gas KWh.
Martin Lewis just this week said he is hearing murmurings that fixed energy deals could be coming back in the near future.
Hopefully for me come October energy prices will be a lot more settled ,I would love the 24/7 deal on EV charging for 10p per kWh.

Hi,

I switched to Octopus Go over a week ago but my IHD (home display) still shows the old rate.

When I did the switch I got an error and when I go online into the Octopus dashboard I can't see hourly data for my account. It just says we are getting your account ready for the new tariff.

I spoke to Octopus about this a couple of times and they said the IHD doesn't work with Go and everything is fine, just chill etc...

I just wanted to know other people's experiences as I am not that confident the switch was successfully done.

How can I be confident I am being billed correctly and how do I see my daily usage?

Does anyone have an IHD that works with Go?

Thanks for any help and advice.
As others have said the IHD is not great for tracking costs and is really a thing of the past. It’s ok for real time usage at a glance. The Octopus app once you’ve stabilised is very useful to track spend and predicted spend. Octopus are also beta trialing the Octopus mini.

As others have said the IHD is not great for tracking costs and is really a thing of the past. It’s ok for real time usage at a glance. The Octopus app once you’ve stabilised is very useful to track spend and predicted spend. Octopus are also beta trialing the Octopus mini.
Thanks, have signed up for a mini when more are available.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom