• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Official Space Saver Spare

Alb

Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I bit the bullet today and ordered the official spare wheel package.
For those that have also purchased the proper package (part number 10959444) did you manage to negotiate a decent discount on the £249 recommended price?
Mine is coming from an MG dealer in Cambridge for £201 delivered but I'm wondering whether I could have done better?

Delivered and installed yesterday.
Quality control was less than perfect though.
The tyre was not fully seated on the rim but it did pop into place once I inflated it to 60psi.
Feels much better knowing this is in place now.

The tyre was not fully seated on the rim but it did pop into place once I inflated it to 60psi.
Wise move !.
I really don’t know why anybody would not purchase a spare, given that the ZS EV is one of the few cars that can accommodate one with ease !.
I think some owners have taken up the option, because when I bought mine in early 2020 - they where priced at around £130.00 ish ?????.
They are MUCH more expensive now !.
MG where soon to see the trend and saw an opportunity to increase the price.
I can’t see how they justify such a large increase myself, but it’s down to supply and demand I guess ?.
If you want one, you have to pay for one, type thing.
A bit of profiteering going on me thinks.
On the face of it, it’s a lot of money to spend for something that sits out of site and getting a free ride every single day.
But when you need one in a remote place, you would spend the money twice over I guess folks !.
Why do you never get a puncher on your drive, is what I want to know ?.
Our friends in the “Yellow Van’s” could take hours to reach you, for 20 mins worth of work.
I did read somewhere, that some recovery companies will NOT attend a vehicle with a flat tyre UNLESS you have a spare to replace the faulty tyre !.
IF this correct, then you are totally reliant on the “Gung” and the inflation pump.
Which means, you could be up shit creak without a paddle BIG time !.
I have one of them extendable wheel brace bars, fitted with a socket in my boot also.
My “Doggie” knee replacement ( and other health issues ) would make it difficult for me to change the wheel myself, but I would get there in the end, with a little help from the wife.
Don’t laugh, but I had strongly considered putting a impact wrench in the car to aid with removing and replacing the wheel bolts due to my knee.
I have a trolley Jack n the garage, but that is taking it WAY to far 😧.
The under floor boot space in the car is an absolute “God’s Send” in my opinion.
You can get all your “Get me out of the shit” stuff hidden away without the boot space being affected.
Oh ….. In my previous VW - In the tool kit, it had a long ( 80mm ) mild steel tapered stud, with a short thread ( about 29 mm ) turned on the opposite end.
When the wheel with the flat tyre was removed, you screwed this stud into one of the holes in the hub.
You then turned the hub, so the tapered stud was at the twelve o’clock position.
Then when you offered up the spare wheel to the car, the steel wheel could be located on this stud to take the weight of the wheel.
Then you could easily line up the remaining three holes of the hub and the wheel without the wheel falling off the hub all of the time !.
Very simply, as are all of the best ideas, but very affective for somebody like myself !.
I need to try and track one down one of these for my car.
We already know that the wheel bolt thread pitch for the VW and the MG is the same, so the VW part would work a treat I recon.
Another piece of equipment for the “Get Me Out Of The Shit” kit 🤣 !.
As a LONG retired Tech myself, I have forgotten how many wheels I have removed and refitted in my time, but now it is all so much of a different story.
Old age sucks @Joe ☹️.

My aspiration is to carry a full size spare just like everyone did in the old days.

But that's the beauty of a full size spare.
It isn't to "get you home" but to allow you to carry on with your journey with absolutely no restrictions.

But that's the beauty of a full size spare.
It isn't to "get you home" but to allow you to carry on with your journey with absolutely no restrictions.
Yes of course it does, but the compromise is you can not use the lower level of the boot for the entire time that the you have the car.
Or you use a space saver ( if you ever need it ) to get you home or to the nearest tyre shop.
I will take the extra space for the LIFE of the car please !.

For those that have also purchased the proper package (part number 10959444) did you manage to negotiate a decent discount on the £249 recommended price?
Mine is coming from an MG dealer in Cambridge for £201 delivered but I'm wondering whether I could have done better?

Wheel
Brace
Jack
Towing Eye
Cap Removal Tool
Securing Bolt
Polystyrene Packing to house the tools.

You will already have the Towing Eye, Cap Removal Tool and Securing Bolt so I'm not sure why they are included.

hi what do you get in the spare wheel package?
The space saver wheel / tyre combo.
The lifting Jack and handle / wheel brace and another slightly “Berger” towing eyelet hook.
I assume this has been included, because this spare wheel kit came from the previous HS model I believe.
Some of the items have therefore been duplicated I guess ????.
All the items are stored in the supplied blown foam case that is then, held down with a supplied threaded metal stud.
This stud screws into a threaded on hole ( covered by a sticker ) in the boot floor of the wheel well.
And you are provided with a large plastic hold down nut, this is then threaded onto the stud, to keep the foam housing in place in the wheel well.
I think that’s the lot ?.

Mine was £119 for my ZSEV

Wheel
Brace
Jack
Towing Eye
Cap Removal Tool
Securing Bolt
Polystyrene Packing to house the tools.

You will already have the Towing Eye, Cap Removal Tool and Securing Bolt so I'm not sure why they are included.
thank you

did you have enough space under the floor cover to house it properly

Yes, it takes up an identical volume to the original polystyrene (pump and gunge) block.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom