OHME EV WALL CHARGER MODE 3 7.2KW TETHERED

Jas0nCcooper

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi - Brand new to this so take it easy on me please.

MG ZS EV Long Range Trophy Connect order two weeks ago from deaaler pre-ordered stock, arrives mid September.

Looking at getting an EV Charger fitted and found a really good deal on supply only of this Tethered EV Wall Charger (OHME0002GB001).
1. Will it work with the MG ZS?
2. Looking at the details it appears the only thing that is questionable is the smart charging from the car, but it appears you could do timed charging from the app? So using Octopus Agile / GO you could just set the car to charge for the four hours cheap rate?

Thanks - Jase

Found it

Screenshot_20220626_182540.jpg

Ohme EV Wall Charger Mode 3 7.2kW Tethered

Can anyone advise if this consumer unit is suitable for the Ohme Home above and thus removes the need for a separate earth rod? And that it also covers:
  • Overcurrent protection: Requires 30mA RCBO Type A and 6mA DC installed at source
Just trying to get all I need in one order.
Thanks!

Thanks N2STY! I’ll see if I can find an installer who will fit these if I supply them. I’m in Northern Ireland so less choices for installers but the new regs don’t apply here.

That Proteus one is only about £30. I think maybe the Garo is a complete boxed consumer unit so maybe more than I need. Maybe I’m better to just get the Ohme Home and let the installer supply the rest, and be happy I got a bargain on the Ohme at least!

Thats just an RCD, a completely different device to the O-PEN device listed before
Two different things that do very different jobs !!

Im a sparky and install EV points at work (UK) so my advice would be to contact a local fitter before you spend too much money guessing what you need, required equipment will vary based on what type of electric supply you have to your property and what kind of existing fusebox you have as some chargers can go to existing fusebox

That particular unit does not have PEN protection so IF you have a pme supply you will require EITHER an earth stake or an O-PEN protective device fitted

That unit also doesnt have the required AC and DC RCDs built into the unit so requires a specific type of trip switch installed to protect it

Im not trying to be an ass but will say again speak to an installer first as there are more expensive units that have these features built in that could actually work out cheaper (fully installed) for some people as wont require all the expensive trips and protective devices !

Thanks Pauly. Appreciate the advice and had already decided along those lines. I’ll purchase the Ohme Home and let the installer decide on the correct electrics required for proper installation with my particular setup.

I’ll talk to a couple of local installers tomorrow and see what they say before I hit the buy button, but I’m hoping that the Ohme Home is still a bargain even if it needs some extras the newer devices would not.

Depends on your electric supply mostly but if it’s PME (the most common) then you will require the O PEN device and a specific type of RCD setup which will normally go in a separate enclosure from your existing fuse box so install costs go up significantly, just the devices are £200-300 pounds + install !

If your existing electrics are suitable it COULD be a great buy but lots of factors involved

That unit also doesnt have the required AC and DC RCDs built into the unit so requires a specific type of trip switch installed to protect it
THIS IS FOR THE COMMANDO SOCKET VERSION

You sure? Ohme says this:
RCD Selection
The Ohme Cable has residual current functionality (RCD) built in:
• Type A (sinusoidal) 30mA 40ms and,
• 6mADC
• Composite AC/DC residual currents
The Ohme Cable will disconnect power to the EV should the DC residual current rise above 6mA, and
therefore it is acceptable to use a Type A RCD for the supplying circuit as it is not possible
for a DC fault to "blind" an upstream Type A RCD.
Full PDF attached.

Attachments

• Notes for Electricians v1.0.pdf
    511.3 KB · Views: 72
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom