Old Cars

Remember cars having a choke? 😁
Remember flooding my engine because I left the choke out. Sat half way up a rather desolate Welsh mountain. By pure coincidence I'd had a conversation with my brother about what to do in this situation about a week earlier. Sat around for a few dark minutes with my foot on the accelerator and then I got home no problem.

As we're going down the nostalgia rabbit hole. I had a Triumph Herald 12/50 with a retro fit heated rear window that if you turned it on while having the heater on full blast and the lights on it would stall when pulling up at lights because the dynamo didn't put out enough current.

Sorry Admin we got distracted

I tried to explain to my 20yr old what a choke was on my first car (Austin 1300) and how I used it to get my car to pull off quicker at the lights.
When I upgraded from a Morris Marina to a Ford Sierra I actually asked the salesman where the choke was ? He replied, it's an automatic choke, you don't have to do anything, I couldn't believe it !

To be fair, if all that I have is a dodgy under tray & a leak, in a brand new "development" model then I'll be very happy indeed. The MG4 is a replacement for my 170,000 mile Tiguan 170 sport. Back in 2008 it was the 1st one in the country, in the 1st 12 months i had all sorts of problems (the same one) related the the emmisions!! - then all of a sudden (after a software update?, at the dealers), they all stopped, and never had another problem (I'm going to keep it for the winter at least this year), its been faultless ever since! - Of course, it transpired that this engine was the new EA189 in 2008, and we all now know what they did (I never took it back to VW though for the recall ).
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - I did say 1st new car - My first car was an austin allegro :LOL::LOL:
Similar shaped steering wheel as the MG4 !.

Remember cars having a choke? 😁
Had a Ford Fiesta as a run around once, my daughter called it “PEG” !.
It was called this, because it had a wooden clothes peg, that was used to keep the choke cable pulled out !.
If you never used the peg to keep the choke open, it would stall when tried to pull away and nearly snap your neck 🤣.
The auto chokes on Fords had a high failure rate, I remember buying a manual choke conversion kit for one Ford I had, it was that bad.
Pull out the choke, insert peg, pump the accelerator pedal twice and “Bang” off you go.
Simple is sometimes better !.
Cars have come a LONG way alright.
We are now driving mobile computers, not cars anymore 😞.

Had a Ford Fiesta as a run around once, my daughter called it “PEG” !.
It was called this, because it had a wooden clothes peg, that was used to keep the choke cable pulled out !.
If you never used the peg to keep the choke open, it would stall when tried to pull away and nearly snap your neck 🤣.
The auto chokes on Fords had a high failure rate, I remember buying a manual choke conversion kit for one Ford I had, it was that bad.
Pull out the choke, insert peg, pump the accelerator pedal twice and “Bang” off you go.
Simple is sometimes better !.
Cars have come a LONG way alright.
We are now driving mobile computers, not cars anymore 😞.
You’re not wrong there! My Father complains that he can’t do any repairs on his car these days as so many of the systems are computerized. He used to enjoy getting his hands dirty and the toolbox out, but that was fifty years ago.

You’re not wrong there! My Father complains that he can’t do any repairs on his car these days as so many of the systems are computerized. He used to enjoy getting his hands dirty and the toolbox out, but that was fifty years ago.
Glad to say I can still tinker with my STAG!!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom