Open pilot / Comma AI

ukflyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone used open pilot, running on a Comma AI device, for their ACC on their MG? If so, what camera type does MG use for their LDW/LKA and what harness interface fits it (e.g. Kia, Toyota, etc)? Does MG use the canbus protocol? Thanks in advance.

From looking at spare parts for the MG5 and the ZS EV, it’s a Bosch Camera which is used in quite a few different cars e.g. Alfa Romeo, Honda and VW for example (at least 14 different makes use this camera). The Honda one uses a different plug but the plug on the VW version looks the same.

Thus it looks like a VW harness would be the best bet. As far as I could tell most VW’s up to 2021 used this camera. Although the cameras appear to look very similar there is no guarantee that mg hasn't changed the wiring of the plug.

I'm trying to locate the appropriate VW connector pinouts and will post them here if I find them. I also need to confirm which harness would be the correct one if the assumption it is the same as the VW is correct.

I can’t confirm that the MG4 uses the same camera and someone willing to pull off the plastic cover will have to confirm it, but given MG was trying to keep the costs down they probably used the Bosch camera as they already had the software stack developed from the other models.

I found this video on a Chinese website which shows a Comma 2 working (see below), so I guess that confirms it should work. The VW comma profile was developed by the Comma community so hopefully there will be quite a bit of technical data which carries over.

Attachments

• MG Front of camera.jpg
    MG Front of camera.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 277
  • MG Plug.jpg
    MG Plug.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 190
  • MG Rear of camera.jpg
    MG Rear of camera.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 202
  • VW front of Camera.jpg
    VW front of Camera.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 176
  • VW Plug.jpg
    VW Plug.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
From looking at spare parts for the MG5 and the ZS EV, it’s a Bosch Camera which is used in quite a few different cars e.g. Alfa Romeo, Honda and VW for example (at least 14 different makes use this camera). The Honda one uses a different plug but the plug on the VW version looks the same.

Thus it looks like a VW harness would be the best bet. As far as I could tell most VW’s up to 2021 used this camera. Although the cameras appear to look very similar there is no guarantee that mg hasn't changed the wiring of the plug.

I'm trying to locate the appropriate VW connector pinouts and will post them here if I find them. I also need to confirm which harness would be the correct one if the assumption it is the same as the VW is correct.

I can’t confirm that the MG4 uses the same camera and someone willing to pull off the plastic cover will have to confirm it, but given MG was trying to keep the costs down they probably used the Bosch camera as they already had the software stack developed from the other models.

I found this video on a Chinese website which shows a Comma 2 working (see below), so I guess that confirms it should work. The VW comma profile was developed by the Comma community so hopefully there will be quite a bit of technical data which carries over.

Excellent info. Many thanks. Looking forward to your updates, especially now the Comma 3 has had a price reduction!

Have you made any progress with this yet?

With GBP so strong now is also the time to buy. I think we just need to know which cradle or cable is used to connect to the ODBC2 port - then we can all get one and work together to decode the messages.

Wondering whether we can make the car turn off after 5minutes as well - I keep leaving it on when I take the shopping in!

hey guys i just bought an mg4 trophy and starting the installation of comma three, shall we get all resources together somewhere?
Let me know what the kit required is - which harness. Well done, congratulations. I think there are about 3 people in the United Kingdom trying to discover which harness is required. Please throw up a video on youtube when you get the thing installed. All the best

has anyone got anywhere with this? The Comma 3X has just been announced and I would love to get one. Has anyone tried the VW harness and is the software interchangeable ? Thanks.

Hi all, I’m picking up my MG4 Trophy in a couple of weeks and am also interested. Please let us know if you’ve made any progress or if I can be of help!

Regards,
Jack

Not yet. I’m hoping to go to the USA in April, so will order the C3 for delivery there and bring it home.
1705760011587.png

This seems to be the Bosch connections pins 1.2.3.5.10.11. The MG4 wiring diagram shows just 2,3,10,11 and where they go. Anyone know if 1 and 5 are power and ground. If so then a harness that has the same wiring should work - or is that too simple?

Look up my other posts - I have made progress on the hardware requirements - but I am not a competent programer - so until we find someone who can port the car across we are a bit stuck. Reading the stuff in Discord etc Comma Ai and Openpilot could be quite straightforward for a competent python developer - but it is beyond a numpty like me!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom