• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Over-the-air updates????

DangerousDoug

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, we're loving our new MG4, but there are a lot of software niggles that are crying out for an update (as in our Mk1 ZS EV, of 3 years ago). I read somewhere that the MG4 is supposed to have over-the-air software updates - does anyone have details about this (frequency of updates; does it cover all car systems, or just satnav; etc).

Updates are at the dealer not over the air, unfortunately

This is of concern really. Looking at how reliable a lot of the MG dealers communications are proving to be (that's irony by the way), how are owners who are not members of a forum such as this expected to know when software updates are available especially the safety critical ones?! Even for the locked in fix, I haven't heard of an official recall of any sort.

I think the dealers have bricked a couple of cars doing updates!

You'd expect the technicians would be aware of the potential issue and stay off the seat

This is disappointing. The MG4 is a great car for the money, but we're still not seeing any ground-up EV that can hold a candle to Tesla technology of 10 years ago!! - My wife loves her MG4, but my next car may well have to be a model Y.

This is disappointing. The MG4 is a great car for the money, but we're still not seeing any ground-up EV that can hold a candle to Tesla technology of 10 years ago!! - My wife loves her MG4, but my next car may well have to be a model Y.
Difficult decision. £51000 for a new Tesla Y's convenience compared to £26000 for MG4's idiosyncrasies. :unsure:

Tesla's have many drawbacks too. Always a compromise.

My mate has a Tesla model 3 long range, so far the only draw back he finds seems to be a bit of a Tesla tax when it comes to a bit of work (car was hit in a car parking bay) repair was really expensive due to all the sensors.

Otherwise he loves it range, speed, acceleration, software, charging all good.

Would I pay £48k for a standard range 3 probably not but stl a top car. Not really a fair comparison though MG4 v Tesla

Folks at my work have M3 dual motor LR on order as their new company cars. With 2% BIK tax and no maintenance/repair cost worries then it's a no-brainer.

I've got my MG4 because I'm retiring in a couple of weeks - if I'd been staying on I'd have ordered one too. :)

I did't mean to morph this thread into an MG/Tesla comparison :) - but what Tesla have done is to show the rest of the industry what can be done, and to present a bar to aspire to. If Tesla, as a small start-up back in 2012, could deliver over-the-air updates and superior EV software, why can't the giant SAIC and other large brands do so 10 years on!!??

Tesla built their cars as "software defined vehicles". Other manufacturers didn't and still don't because it requires lots of investment in software which they can't afford. Tesla was built around software, Elon said that Tesla is a software company that's manufacturing cars. And that's quite fitting IMO.

Tesla built their cars as "software defined vehicles". Other manufacturers didn't and still don't because it requires lots of investment in software which they can't afford. Tesla was built around software, Elon said that Tesla is a software company that's manufacturing cars. And that's quite fitting IMO.
Absolutely agree. Tesla always challenges the status quo (not the band) and asks "why is it done that way - is there a better way?". In this way they've re-invented vehicle manufacturing and dramatically reduced time and costs. Herbert Deis (former CEO of VW group, before the idiots fired him for being too radical) admitted that they took 30 hours to produce a vehicle, whereas Tesla only took 10. He knew that they could never compete with that, and therefore VW had to radically overhaul their manufacturing process to be more like Tesla. They fired him for it (because it would involve job losses and the unions revolted) but now they're going to lose their jobs anyway, as they get out-classed and lose market share.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back