Parking brake

Gwyn Wardman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Help. Bought the car yesterday and went for a spin. All was fine. Today every time I started to move the parking brake came on. What am I doing wrong?

Can you give more details? For example - unlock and get in the car - foot on brake and press start button - wait for ‘ready‘ to light up below centre dash - seat belt on - select D or R - foot off brake and accelerate - parking brake should not come on 🙂?

Have you checked all doors are closed? I was reversing the other day, and with seatbelt off and door open, the parking brake will come on automatically if you try to move.

I've had a few times when trying to reverse and the brakes where on. I always put it down to being in a rush on those occasions, and not waiting for the ready sign.

I am able to drive/reverse without my seat belt on. This seems to be another software inconsistency. The bongs start yelling but I'm not prevented from driving.

I am able to drive/reverse without my seat belt on. This seems to be another software inconsistency. The bongs start yelling but I'm not prevented from driving.
Not really. There are situations where you're allowed to drive a vehicle without wearing a seat belt. It's specifically stated in the Highway Code that you can remove your belt before reversing. And the rules are basically ignorable on a private road.

Not really. There are situations where you're allowed to drive a vehicle without wearing a seat belt. It's specifically stated in the Highway Code that you can remove your belt before reversing. And the rules are basically ignorable on a private road.
You can also have a medical exemption from wearing a seatbelt.

Can you give more details? For example - unlock and get in the car - foot on brake and press start button - wait for ‘ready‘ to light up below centre dash - seat belt on - select D or R - foot off brake and accelerate - parking brake should not come on 🙂?
Thanks for your help. We didn't put our seat belts on. Now working.

Glad that you’re sorted. I didn’t realise that you couldn’t drive off without having your belt on! I think that you can in my car. Anyway at least you know what it is now 🙂

I can in mine, it just bongs at me if I do. I often move my car off the drive to get the other car out without my belt on.

This is interesting information as the other day I forgot to put my belt on and the car only started bonging once I was well underway, I'd probably got up to about 20mph and a couple of hundred yards down the road when it started sounding off.

In fact it was quite alarming as I thought the car had self-diagnosed some sort of problem......as indeed I suppose it had......me!.

This is interesting information as the other day I forgot to put my belt on and the car only started bonging once I was well underway, I'd probably got up to about 20mph and a couple of hundred yards down the road when it started sounding off.

In fact it was quite alarming as I thought the car had self-diagnosed some sort of problem......as indeed I suppose it had......me!.
I have exactly the same thing happen.

Does it do the same with the passengers seat? i.e. if a passenger is in the seat but is not wearing their seat belt?

my car bongs if passenger seat is occupied and no seat belt when driving off.

my car bongs if passenger seat is occupied and no seat belt when driving off.
Does it give up, or can you stop it? I'm thinking of having someone in the passenger seat who can't wear a belt for medical reasons.
I know that one could always do up the seat belt and then sit on it, but it seems a bit crude.

You can also have a medical exemption from wearing a seatbelt.
Also if you are setting off on a steep hill ,you are allowed to drive to somewhere flatter to put on your seatbelt because of the inertia seatbelts jamming .may come in handy one day

Also if you are setting off on a steep hill ,you are allowed to drive to somewhere flatter to put on your seatbelt because of the inertia seatbelts jamming .may come in handy one day
That’s interesting - where did you find out about that?

Does it give up, or can you stop it? I'm thinking of having someone in the passenger seat who can't wear a belt for medical reasons.
I know that one could always do up the seat belt and then sit on it, but it seems a bit crude.
Sorry - I don’t know - the warning works and the belt goes on!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom