Pay per mile

Wendycar127

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Morning all, I read an article that the government are considering how to tax ev owners moving forward. One of the suggestions was a pay per mile scheme. Has anyone else read any articles on what the future is likely to be for ev owners once incentives are gone.

I was recently reading a piece in fleet news that said the new road pricing charges would be split into three categories with a (road user charge) for all vehicles which would pay for road infrastructure, The (distance charge) would charge for miles driven & the (Time charge) would cover pollution & congestion charge.

“A favourable tax regime, together with a raft of new models and significant growth in the charging network, will play a vital part in accelerating our journey along the road to zero.”

In evidence submitted to MPs on the Transport Committee, which is conducting an inquiry into road pricing (it has yet to publish its findings), Greener Transport Solutions says that, to coincide with the ban on sales of new petrol and diesel cars, Government should announce that fuel duty and VED will be scrapped from 2030 and replaced by a mandatory road user charge based on distance and time.

The charge would apply to all vehicles. The distance element would pay for road infrastructure and the time charge would cover congestion and pollution.

The not-for-profit organisation, which is dedicated to the decarbonisation of transport, proposes that, ahead of it becoming mandatory in 2030, road users would be encouraged to opt-in.

I think there is a much better way of dealing with this. Government buys back all the railways converts all railway line to new roads with a trolley bus type connection, but under vehicles so they can be charged as they are driven. Make all the railway stations car park. Convert all buses and lorries to electric. Electric battery journeys would be from railway stations to final destinations. You could even have a towing system. Seems to me reduces COVID transmission risk, throws £billions back to the government they are ploughing into railways and does away with need for umpteen new charging points. I am sure there are lots of negatives and maybe some more positives, my thought only.

I read that a vast network of ANPR cameras would be needed to log the mileage done as well as a little black box installed in each and every vehicle. I can just imagine the contracts that would go out to install these as well. Maybe we will have them as soon as they have finished their public EV chargers network!

Would it be wrong to expect potholeless roads under any new vehicle tax charges?

With no emissions to tax what will the excuse for raising money be?
To fund new roads and "maintain" the existing network.
I wonder if the government takes maintain as keep them in the story state they're in, or actually fix them.

Payment of road tax per mile driven is nothing new and incidentally this idea has been bandied around and discussed by politicians and motoring organisations for years, at least the past forty to fifty years to my knowledge.

The Labour Party, whilst in power in the early 2000s, had well developed plans to introduce it but eventually scrapped it‘s introduction at a late stage. Some have said that it will be linked with the mileage taken at the annual MOT test but nothing has been said about cars under three years of age that didn’t need a test yet!

It‘s been said the pay-per-mile scheme should be mandatory in 2030 but electric vehicles drivers should be able to opt into the scheme from as early as 2023 with the temptation of grants and other incentives - so MG owners, we can opt-in to paying extra tax! That idea might go down like a lead balloon!

Oh, and on a lighter note, the Ministry of Transport changed its name to the Department of Transport in 1970! Why is it still called the MOT test and not the DOT test?

If they go with the mileage recorded at the MOT as a method of PPM, then the first 3 years would be easily dealt with by using an estimated average mileage which would either leave you in credit or needing to make up the difference, and I'm sure some manufacturers would have all sorts of offers to temp us to buy.

If they go with the mileage recorded at the MOT as a method of PPM, then the first 3 years would be easily dealt with by using an estimated average mileage which would either leave you in credit or needing to make up the difference, and I'm sure some manufacturers would have all sorts of offers to temp us to buy.
And if you got rid of the car after less than 3 years, the recipient of the car or your as the previous owner would have to make a self declaration I guess. Seems open the fraud especially as at the moment you pay up front where as under this scheme people would just not pay retrospectively. It would be a nightmare in administration. Would people end up locked away for non payment 🤔

Why do governments always have to over complicate things to make them look fair when, nine times out of ten, they're not.
It would be a major (and positive) change if there was any direct link between duty paid and money spent on roads.
Flying_Pigs.jpg

And if you got rid of the car after less than 3 years, the recipient of the car or your as the previous owner would have to make a self declaration I guess. Seems open the fraud especially as at the moment you pay up front where as under this scheme people would just not pay retrospectively. It would be a nightmare in administration. Would people end up locked away for non payment 🤔
The government always takes the taxes up front. You would have to fill in a form to claim back any credit and they would deduct any money owed from your Naitonal Insurance number. Change of ownership or SORN would have to have the mileage recorded and the seller and buyer would have to submit the mileage and they would have to match.

An alternative is that every vehicle would have to have a tamper-proof tachograph fitted which could be read remotely.

The government always takes the taxes up front. You would have to fill in a form to claim back any credit and they would deduct any money owed from your Naitonal Insurance number. Change of ownership or SORN would have to have the mileage recorded and the seller and buyer would have to submit the mileage and they would have to match.

An alternative is that every vehicle would have to have a tamper-proof tachograph fitted which could be read remotely.
Ah! Happy days ahead for us all!

I don't like the idea of paying up front, I only do 2,500 miles a year, I would be forever having to claim tax back. :confused:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom