• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Perrys Huddersfield - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

Not impressed with sales and so called test drive. Arrived at appointed time, Salesman had not prepared so took 35 minutes before could go out and was given a 10 minute drive round town never getting above 30mph. Had no knowledge of accessories fitted to demonstrator. Will not be returning and IF I buy one will go elsewhere.

Not had any of the promised follow up from Perry’s. What is wrong with car dealers? This is a return to bad old days when sales treated customers as though they were doing them a favour by getting off their ar8es to let the customer buy something.

Not had any of the promised follow up from Perry’s. What is wrong with car dealers? This is a return to bad old days when sales treated customers as though they were doing them a favour by getting off their ar8es to let the customer buy something.
I've just been pondering about dealers a little more, I think there's a possibility a lot of dealers who have got into MG recently, particularly the multi franchise lot, are none too happy about the direction MG are clearly heading in, i.e. Majority EV sales, latest monthly figures show more than 50% of total MG sales were electric and it's increasing month on month. It's already much harder for a dealer to make the easy money they're used to by bilking large sums for regular ICE maintenance.

Over time, as people realise even the servicing they are currently pretending EVs still need (already significantly less profitable than ICE!) is largely not needed, there will be a race to the bottom regarding servicing costs between marques, where those requiring more costly servicing are going to be less desirable. Look at the cost reductions already over the last year or so with the new, negligible cost, low mileage service MG have been forced to bring in.

Sorry this might have gone a bit off topic, but the point is, maybe some MG dealers aren't too bothered about losing EV sales, or even the MG franchise if they think it's going to mean harder work for less profit. It would be interesting to see if there was any difference in attitude if you were pursuing something that would bring in much higher ongoing revenue such as an ICE ZS, or the HS ICE or PHEV options...

Last edited:
If that were the case why take on the franchise in the first place? I think you are reading too much into this. For a start I am buying a hybrid and even EV’s still need service. Sales staff don’t give a monkeys about after sales, only interested in commission and sales bonus.

If that were the case why take on the franchise in the first place? I think you are reading too much into this. For a start I am buying a hybrid and even EV’s still need service. Sales staff don’t give a monkeys about after sales, only interested in commission and sales bonus.
Ah... Hadn't realised you were buying the hybrid, still lots of overpriced future servicing to be had there then! so my logic is flawed, at least in this case. EV's do need almost no servicing at all compared to ICE or Hybrid though.

It is worth noting that not all of these franchisees know what they are doing! Hartwell ford in Grimsby initially took on the local MG franchise, they made almost no effort at all with it for a year or two, then dropped it just before the massive growth in MG happened!

Sales staff do as they are told, if the franchise owner has told them to push ICE and ignore EV, (definitely the case with some VW dealers) that is exactly what they will do. As you've noted though, no excuse in your case, as Hybrids have the highest servicing costs. Most likely just bone idle, crappy sales staff.

EV’s don’t work for me for a whole host of reasons. VW are struggling to avoid fines for exceeding their corporate fleet C02 target hence pushing EV’s in the UK. Personally if I had my way I would still drive a diesel.

EV’s don’t work for me for a whole host of reasons. VW are struggling to avoid fines for exceeding their corporate fleet C02 target hence pushing EV’s in the UK. Personally if I had my way I would still drive a diesel.
Well you still can for the next 9 years... Sounds like you're in the wrong forums, maybe you'd feel more at home over with the luddites and dinosaurs... ;)

I drive across Europe on a regular basis towing a caravan. There isn’t one single affordable EV that matches my diesel for towing capability. Nothing Luddite about realism. If EV works for you that is fine but don’t insult others because their needs are different from yours.

Not trying to be rude, just factual. Luddites didn't like change that affected them, and like Diesel cars soon will, the Dinosaurs died out. Come 2030, I suspect if you're towing a large caravan about, even with the bigger range EV cars that will be available at the time, you'll just have to adapt to stopping to charge every 180 miles or so for 1/2 an hour. Sounds a reasonable compromise to save the human race from extinction. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom