• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Podpoint home charger using a timer purchased from Amazon?

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still on the timed charging trail! Podpoint don’t seem to be coming up with anything anytime soon - so i thought - can a wifi timer be fitted to the supply to the charger? - and I found this on Amazon;
has anyone done similar? Will it work? See any issues?
🙂

I’m still on the timed charging trail! Podpoint don’t seem to be coming up with anything anytime soon - so i thought - can a wifi timer be fitted to the supply to the charger? - and I found this on Amazon;
🙂
You are switching the full high load of course with this type of breaker.
Not that this can not be done, but I would check with a sparky on suitability on this type of breaker before ordering.
An alternative method, is to have control / switching of the control module inside of the wall box, via the low voltage signal wire to the car.
This can be done by installing a Wi - Fi switching relay inside your wall box.
They are cheap to buy online and small in size.
There is a couple that will do the job, I am using a “Sonoff” unit in my wall box.
This relay is controlled by a free “App” that is downloaded to your phone.
I have a four year old dumb 32 Amp Rolec unit installed and I have been using this type of arrangement to charge my car ZS EV for almost 12 months now.
I am on a EDF EV friendly tariff that gives us a much cheaper off peak rate at 7p / kw from 9.00pm to 7.00am every week day and the same cheap rate all weekend.
Having the delayed charge function is absolutely vital to take advantage of this cheaper rate.
My previous car had the timing function already built into the car, not the ZS EV of course, huge oversight.
The “Sonoff” gets around the problem.
Best £12 I ever spent !.

I used use this. Have used it for about a year now no problems on a Rolec.

Attachments

• -1345433531353914653.jpg
    -1345433531353914653.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 217
many thanks for the advice. I really would have no idea how to instal a wifi relay inside my podpoint box - do you think this might invalidate the warranty? I am speaking to a sparky tomorrow and I’ll ask him the question that you suggest - I doubt if he’ll want to get involved with the actual podpoint box though - but you never know. How does the control switching using the low voltage signal wire actually work do you know? It sounds like a good solution - my concern is with podpoint and their wallbox. I thought that by just having a timer inline before the charger might be the easiest solution. Thanks again.

I used use this. Have used it for about a year now no problems on a Rolec.
Thanks - yes, i saw this one. Did you install it in the power line that feeds your wallbox?

many thanks for the advice. I really would have no idea how to instal a wifi relay inside my podpoint box - do you think this might invalidate the warranty? I am speaking to a sparky tomorrow and I’ll ask him the question that you suggest - I doubt if he’ll want to get involved with the actual podpoint box though - but you never know. How does the control switching using the low voltage signal wire actually work do you know? It sounds like a good solution - my concern is with podpoint and their wallbox. I thought that by just having a timer inline before the charger might be the easiest solution. Thanks again.
If you have concerns about the warranty implications of your wall box, then a Wi - Fi switch on the supply may suit you better.
My wall box is out of warranty so I have no concerns with regards to this problem.
Your sparky will guide you in the right direction.
It is well worth the outlay !.

I didn't put it in the charger didn't want to break the warranty. Put it in the out side box where the electric meter is as that is where the power for the charger comes from, as our consumer box didn't have a spare.

I didn't put it in the charger didn't want to break the warranty. Put it in the out side box where the electric meter is as that is where the power for the charger comes from, as our consumer box didn't have a spare.
Great. do you have a podpoint? Which timer did you use?

Rolec.
The one similar to the pic I posted earlier. From AliExpress. 32 amp WiFi contactor. Will see if I can post a link to similar.

🙂
If you have an untethered pod point you could simply use an Ohme cable.

I had a similar problem in as much that my C.U. had no spare capacity to add the feed for the wall box.
My EV installer recommend a stand alone enclosure that would carry the new main breaker switch.
It was supplied with juice by splitting the meter tails and running new meter tails to the new enclosure.
This where the Wi-Fi main breaker would have been fitted IF wanting to switch the supply load.
The supply leaves the enclosure via a 6.00mm flat T&E cable and then is run a short distance to the wall box.
This is then protected by another RCBO built in to the case of the wall box.
The Wi-Fi switch is supplied with a mains supply on the incoming side of the relay and then the relay switches the low voltage side of the module inside the wallbox.

Here is somebody using an alternative Wi - Fi switching relay to produce delayed charging on his ZS EV.
He is using it on a older type Rolec unit like mine.
It just displays proof of concept really.
Though you would like to see how simply it works.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom