Positive Vibes for the MG4

MG4onOrder

Standard Member
Reaction score
There are so many issues posted on the forum, which is generally why people come to a forum to find help, but we need some balance and positivity about the car that so many of us have on order. It can't all be bad. So owners, please can you share the one thing that has pleasantly surprised you or that you love most about your car. A thread of joy please 🙂

Edit: Or share as many good things as you want. Let's get the excitement back for the MG4!

Last edited:
I’m glad you posted this. I’m still thinking seriously about an MG4 Trophy, but over the last week there does seem to have been a lot of “issues” being described. Some minor niggles and annoyances but others more serious. I am starting to think about looking elsewhere, as I would like my first EV to be a positive experience.

There are so many issues posted on the forum, which is generally why people come to a forum to find help, but we need some balance and positivity about the car that so many of us have on order. It can't all be bad. So owners, please can you share the one thing that has pleasantly surprised you or that you love most about your car. A thread of joy please 🙂
Is there any joy in ordering a vehicle with so many known faults that should have been rectified in production, I ordered mine in August and rejected it when it arrived because I was not prepared to be a test pilot for mg.
These models have been out in India for a long time before the UK got them, they're known as Mulan there, so some of the faults must have been known.
After reordering a replacement which no one knows when it's delivery time is, and after reading these forums do I really need to spend a lot of money on a vehicle that is probably going to spend more time in the workshop and me with stress.
I appreciate all new models have glitches but mg quality control really needs to get their act together.

The one thing?
There are loads .
But the one thing?
It drives superbly .

Picked up my red MG4 SE SR today from Howards Taunton MG.
So many, many wonderful things (am I overdoing it?) and brilliant service by George of Howards, whom I highly recommend.
But, I guess the single best thing was, on the drive home (M5, A30 south) noticing how many other cars were passing me slowly, slowing down, making me pass them and generally manoeuvring around me to get a get look! Almost like being an 18 year old on the dancefloor again.(sic)
Then, life balanced out, Karma! I came up behind a working Gritting Lorry (grrrrhhh) straddling the middle lane, showering on my perfectly valeted, pristine MG4 straight from the dealer!!! God is a satirist?
(PS got home to find the dog had a bad tummy and left a liquid poop in the kitchen. MyDay/NotMyDay?)

So picked up my Trophy yesterday and must say the smile has not left my face. The car takes me back to my early 20’s and the hot hatches we used to drive. Lots of fun. It’s a pleasure to drive.
That's what convinced me to order one. The 'SUV' fashion (AKA bloated front drive hatch on stilts) has left me disinterested in lots of models these days, but the incredibly darty RWD MG 4 really made me sit up and take notice, I truly didn't want to hand it back after the test.
Collecting mine on Wed aft and i'll probably not be home till evening - if it doesn't break down 😲 ;)

I ordered a Trophy in October and as yet don't know when I will get it apart from the 12 weeks I was told. Shortly after ordering I joined this forum and also 3 FB groups. It has done nothing but make me think I should not have ordered a Chinese car. My last 3 cars have been Kia Ceed which I had for 7 virtually trouble free years , then 2 Ioniq hybrids which again have been a joy to own. The MG4 looked so good compared to all the SUV's on offer plus all the positive first reviews that I thought I must look at this without the prejudice of the perseaved Chinese quality image. Anyway I've ordered this car and I'm hoping that it will be ok , I know the car is basically sound from the reviews but I never thought there would be so many "stupid" issues that simply should have been developed out of the car before release. Anyway gone on to long so to finish on a positive note , I am still looking forward to getting my 4 and hoping it will be a pleasant experience.

I've had: 2 VW Ups (60hp and 90hp), a BMW 330i coupe, a jag Xf Sportbrake- and this is by far the nicest to drive. Its smooth, gets up to speed surprisingly quickly and can be 'fun' even in normal day to day driving. On long distances the quiet of the cabin makes it a lovely place to sit for a couple of hours. I never realised how much things like 'stop/start' or just generally sitting in an ICE car in traffic is annoying. The value is insane, because (for me) it is so much cheaper to run I can afford to get in a brand new car- whereas I had assumed I would be stuck with used ones if I wanted anything except a manual 1l washing machine. I think the first 600 miles has cost me about 50 quid in fuel, you cant beat that- best feeling when you can just go for a run out, without having that nag in your mind about the next fill up costing 130 quid...
I drove to Oxford yesterday, (100 miles round trip) just for the hell of it, and a bit of a snoop around. Cant remember the last time I did that in an ICE

best feeling when you can just go for a run out, without having that nag in your mind about the next fill up costing 130 quid...
I drove to Oxford yesterday, (100 miles round trip) just for the hell of it, and a bit of a snoop around. Cant remember the last time I did that in an ICE
Indeed. I think it was in Autocar a few issues ago that a fellow wrote in saying how he traded his model 3 and returned to a petrol car, felt that an EV robbed him of the spontaneity he values from a car.
Kinda makes me feel the opposite, the expense to fill a tank and environmental damage caused by burning fossil fuel, makes my heart sink every time I twist the key :(

I have had mine since 25th November, still a pleasure to drive since day one, I love the Infotainment system, I have a screen protector on now which makes it nicer to control.

I love the feel of the steering and also love the app, for me its always been working fine, pre-heating and all works as it should.

I love using the ACC and the LKA which works but I keep an eye on it with it taking the steering.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back