Post your MG ZS EV battery SOH data please

March 2020 Exclusive @ 21500ish miles & checked the SOH a few weeks ago @ 95.18% which dropped like a stone from 31st March 2021 @ SOH 99.95 & 13000miles. I haven't used a rapid in over a year & even then only about 20 times since new, 7kw charging only and still seeing significant degradation in the last 6 months. Suspect it may have also been affected by the software updates which were done in Feb 17th during a door wiring repair & March 31st service, changing charging behaviour & bms management. Not saying its making it worse just maybe being more honest. If I reset the trip meter, turn off the heating & stick in in eco gom reads 170 miles range, drive normal mode with heating on 139. So not much difference from new as far as the goms concerned.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211105-080613_ZS EV.jpg
    Screenshot_20211105-080613_ZS EV.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 20211108_083610.jpg
    20211108_083610.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_20210314-102542_ZS EV.jpg
    Screenshot_20210314-102542_ZS EV.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 160
checked the SOH a few weeks ago @ 95.18% which dropped like a stone from 31st March 2021 @ SOH 99.95 & 13000miles.
It feels like it's degrading 100x faster, because it feels like it only degraded 0.05 from new to March 2021. But in March you happened to catch it just below 100% for the first time; it might have started at 115% for all we know, but still displayed as 100.0%. So it could still be (and hopefully is) that the degradation is slowing down after an initial rapid fall. The next drop should confirm or deny that theory.

Then there is also the effect of temperature. I'm noticing that my LFP house battery has considerably different capacity depending on temperature. So expect the apparent degradation to be worst in winter, better in summer, and there could even be some recovery of apparent capacity between winter and summer. You really need to graph it and average or otherwise smooth the data to see what's really happening.

Hi,

Just checked mine:
100% SOH
13200 miles
15 months old
BMS Version 0106600R17
No idea what types of charges previously as 2nd owner, but judging by the condition of the car it's been well looked after.

Last edited:
March 2020 Exclusive @ 21500ish miles & checked the SOH a few weeks ago @ 95.18% which dropped like a stone from 31st March 2021 @ SOH 99.95 & 13000miles. I haven't used a rapid in over a year & even then only about 20 times since new, 7kw charging only and still seeing significant degradation in the last 6 months. Suspect it may have also been affected by the software updates which were done in Feb 17th during a door wiring repair & March 31st service, changing charging behaviour & bms management. Not saying its making it worse just maybe being more honest. If I reset the trip meter, turn off the heating & stick in in eco gom reads 170 miles range, drive normal mode with heating on 139. So not much difference from new as far as the goms concerned.
Very similar situation with my car.
It was registered on 6th Jan 2019 and running on the 4556 - 456 volt software.
Had its first service and drivers door wiring loom replaced on Jan 15th 2020.
It also received the latest BMS update ( 448 - 450 volts ) at the very same time.
When the car was returned, it reported a predicted range of 162 miles on the GOM and 449 volts.
From then, it has slowly displayed a slightly reduced predicted range from that point to-date.
The car is quickly approaching 2 years old and has covered 16,000 miles.
After a full charge and balance ( which takes around 2 hours ) it reports 448 volts and a predicted range of 155 miles.
This is in "Normal Mode" and Regen level 3.
With BOTH trip meters reset to zero first and ALL electrical equipment ( HVAC etc ) turned off.
I am starting to think, that when the new BMS is applied, it displays the default 163 miles of predictable range on the GOM.
But then after more miles covered and more charging cycles, it then starts to settle / stabilize down to a more accurate figure of the HV pack / SOH.
Only pure guess work here of course, but if the now returning figure 155 becomes a more constant figure, then this may prove my theory.
If not and the predicted range continues to drop, then that is another story altogether !.

FWIW For some strange reason mine has started taking less time to balance, only 10-30 minutes after full, so I have started unplugging it and plugging it back in now and it then goes on balancing for another 30-60 minutes.
This is what I do to balance the battery cells without unplugging/plugging the charger.

After car had finished charging, I wait about 20 min and then I press the door button (without the key) to unlock the charge port, but immediately the charge port locks again (less than 2 seconds) and the car starts charging, a few minutes later it starts to balance the cells.

Edit: the balance takes about 45 min.
Screenshot_20211121-190308_EV JuiceNet.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I do to balance the battery cells without unplugging/plugging the charger.

After car had finished charging, I wait about 20 min and then I press the door button (without the key) to unlock the charger port, but immediately the charge port locks again (less than 2 seconds) and the car starts charging, a few minutes later it starts to balance the cells.

View attachment 5721
(y)
That's actually what I accidentally did last time, as I went out to the car to check the status and forgot to take the key with me. 🤭

After car had finished charging, I wait about 20 min and then I press the door button (without the key) to unlock the charge port, but immediately the charge port locks again (less than 2 seconds) and the car starts charging, a few minutes later it starts to balance the cells.

Edit: the balance takes about 45 min.
View attachment 5721
I do the same, but with the fob: Open>Close and my Zappi starts to charge again. First with 1.4 kWh but after a minute or so it drops to 0.3 kWh and does the balance loading for about 20 to 45 minutes, depending on the amount of disbalance (I guess). After repeating it for 2 or 3 times it stops doing that. SOH is on 99,6% after 28000km (17400mi)

My SOH is still showing 100% in OVMS - Is this not the correct value?

SOH - 100%
Miles = 35,486
Age = 1Yr 9Mths
Rapids = Only on long journeys, so I'd guess about 60+ rapids in that time.
I regulary charge to 100% on my Zappi - probably every other day.

BMS = 0603610R28
Fully battery showing 455V

View attachment 4643
Which app is this?

I do not post my data yet because I have it for a month ... I would like to ask you how do you know if the battery is balanced?
I have an OBD2 to detect battery Soh, but I don't understand its balance where I see it. Thank you

Last week I was driving test car (MG ZS) Car is 20 months old car 53.700 km, fast charging, grany charging...they didt care where they are charging it and SOH is 97,75%

My car have 20.000 km and 95% SOH :-(

I do not post my data yet because I have it for a month ... I would like to ask you how do you know if the battery is balanced?
I have an OBD2 to detect battery Soh, but I don't understand its balance where I see it. Thank you
Maximum cell (or module) voltage and minimum cell voltage will tell you the amount of unbalance.

I do the same, but with the fob: Open>Close and my Zappi starts to charge again. First with 1.4 kWh but after a minute or so it drops to 0.3 kWh and does the balance loading for about 20 to 45 minutes, depending on the amount of disbalance (I guess). After repeating it for 2 or 3 times it stops doing that. SOH is on 99,6% after 28000km (17400mi)
I made a telephone call with my garage about this trick and they said the battery heating is switching on then. I can hardly believe this. Has anyone heard of this?
The regular way of extra balancing should be: just park the car and put in in the “ready” mode. Then it should start balancing with 1 mV per hour.
Vmax minus Vmin is 65 mV in my car, so it should take 65 hours.
But the garage said this is not necessary as long it not exceeds 100 mV.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom