Price cut ?

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So, Tesla just slashed their prices by quite the margin.

The price cut means that i can get a standard tesla model 3 for just about the same money that the ZS EV sells for. (10% difference)

What do you think, will MG and the other EV manufacturers lower their prices in response ?

I for one will surely try to put a bit of pressure on the MG seller here, as Tesla also claims on their website that they can deliver in Q1 2023, while the current, unconfirmed delivery date of my MG ZS EV is Mid Q3, August 2023.

I know M3 and MG ZS EV are not the same type of car, but still, the price gap between a tesla and an MG just got "a lot smaller"

The MG4 might be a more straight comparison, and here, the price for the 4 is 80% of the price for a M3, and the M3 even has a 13% longer range, not to mention a LOT better charging options and speed.

They've slashed the cost of their vehicles because they aren't selling enough for their shareholders.

Their delivery times are short because they've got 1000s sat around in their Chinese factory.

You get worse build quality in the cabin on a base model Tesla than you do in the MG.

I'm getting similar range in my Trophy Connect LR to what the model 3 is offering me if I drive properly.

So as MG can't quite keep up with demand, higher pricing will remain to curb demand.

A lot of people like the whole Tesla experience and treat it much like Apple. I’ve had Teslas and they are a good car, but not without faults. Tesla software is ahead of other EV’s at the moment but their build quality is still struggling. For many the Tesla badge is a big selling point.
I would advise anyone to drive the cars and have a good look for yourself before you decide.
ps. I would be well peed off if I’d just got my Tesla at the pre-price drop price!

I do think these dramatic price reductions from Tesla will disrupt the market. Even if MG is not a direct competitor there are many in the market for VW, Cupra and Korean cars for instance that will switch, which might force these manufacturers to reconsider their pricing, and if they do then perhaps that will impact MG sales and ultimately pricing.

There are also new cars from the likes of BYD coming to market that will make competition tougher in 2023.

The sooner that we get past this crazy car market situation the better.
The more competition the better - it leads to an improved customer experience and better deals.
A lot of the experiences that we are hearing about are because dealers don’t care in the current market and just sell to the next buyer - that’s all about to change.

I think Tesla have their own issues (namely plummeting stock price and a need to put investors at ease with a sales boost). I wouldn't expect others to follow, especially those that aren't directly competing. Don't hold your breath.

I agree that the Tesla move to drop prices is a drop in the ocean. The big driver of change will be the economy, new models undercutting competition and other market forces, not just Tesla.

Don’t forget the hidden insurance cost of a Tesla. Until BYD cars arrive in large numbers I don’t think the MG range pricing will change. The MG4 is most likely the benchmark for pricing at the moment. I read somewhere that new models could be in the £40k range and that I think is pushing their luck especially if the Tesla prices stay.
just seen the new EVM video that states he is keeping his Model 3 after reminding himself why he bought it- the charging infrastructure.
Anyway off on a longish journey in my TCLR and have checked that the Instavolt locations will suit me fine.

Well to be honest, i dont really want a Tesla, i know of the bad build quality, and since 2020, Tesla has also taken out the front facing radar for the ACC, and now rely solely on the front facing camera for the ACC feature.

I have been in numerous situations in the last few years where i have driven in very foggy conditions and i can not see, how the camera only version of ACC, would be anywhere near as safe as the one that has an actual radar, that can "see" through the fog, which the camera obviously can not.

Just a month ago or so, there was a major accident on one of our main motorway's, where suddenly there was a dramatic change in the density of fog, over a piece of the motorway. This caused people to slow down, and then the pileup started.

Took more than 12 hours to clear one direction of motorway, because of the massive pileup.

I feel that if all cars had been fitted with ACC / Anti collision radar, this accident would have been either totally avoided, or at least had been a LOT less severe.

So i don't think the M3, is as safe as cars with actual radars, even though Musk claims his camera system is just as good.

I am still hoping that their price cut, will force other manufacturers to cut their prices as well, and I must admit that the one thing that makes a Tesla look somewhat interesting, is the charger network. If I were to do a trip down through Europe to go to Italy for example on summer holiday, I would be a lot more confident that I would get there "fast" and without a lot of charger faff, in a Tesla, compared to any other brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem with the Tesla charging network in Europe is that no one is using them, so big investment but little return. It would seem that is the reason Tesla has decided to open their charging network to other brands.
Unfortunately here in Germany the lack of a display showing kWh delivered is causing the authorities to restrict the opening of their charging network to other manufacturers cars. Tesla is in the process of adding display meters to their charging pillars but it is a very slow process.

The biggest problem with the Tesla charging network in Europe is that no one is using them, so big investment but little return. It would seem that is the reason Tesla has decided to open their charging network to other brands.
Unfortunately here in Germany the lack of a display showing Kw hrs delivered is causing the authorities to restrict the opening of their charging network to other manufacturers cars. Tesla is in the process of adding display meters to their charging pillars but it is a very slow process.
Isn't the app supposed to show you that - which is required to start charging anyway...

The sooner that we get past this crazy car market situation the better.
The more competition the better - it leads to an improved customer experience and better deals.
A lot of the experiences that we are hearing about are because dealers don’t care in the current market and just sell to the next buyer - that’s all about to change.
Absolutely you can do what you want as dealer if there is 100 long queue for your cars and you can't ship them fast enough

Isn't the app supposed to show you that - which is required to start charging anyway...
Yes the app does show that but the requirements in Germany are that the charging post is required to display the kWh delivered and not the app on your smartphone.

Here everyone talks to their own side, but if there is a choice between a Tesla or an Mg, then there is only one choice, a Tesla.
Why: better software and updates, better charging network, better performance and power, much more energy efficient, battery heater for fast charging, LFP battery on the standard range
and the build quality from china is perfect also from germany.
I think you're a thief of your wallet if you can buy a tesla for the same money.

OK so MGZS long range starts at £32 000 from a dealer that is in every major town that people know of. I think people underestimate how important it is to have garage close by. If my car breaks I can ho into office and discuss in person rather than argue with someone on different continent.

There is also huge difference between prices. I could get a car lian for my zs I would not be able to get one for £10 000 more. This is still big difference.

It doesn't mater if tesla is better when "computer says no" to your bank loan

just seen the new EVM video that states he is keeping his Model 3 after reminding himself why he bought it- the charging infrastructure.
I do watch all of EVM’s videos and his EV knowledge is brilliant !.
I did pick up when he said, that his interest in Tesla over other manufacturers, would change IF Tesla opened up the Tesla super charging network to NON Tesla owners.
It is a massive strength to their car sales, why because it works !.
The Tesla car sales and the charging infrastructure are run as two completely different companies if I recall correctly ?.
Their cars are sold on better software quality and the charging network.
Build quality has improved but still has a margin to make up over some legacy makers.
There is no doubt in my mind, that their prices have been well over inflated, so a reduction in price is well overdue !.

Don't be fooled the new Teslas are not the same lots of parts have been removed and some parts like brakes have been downgraded but there sticking plastic cover over them to give the appearance of performance parts if anything they have dropped the price but making more profit

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom