Project OBD2 - Mobile App v1.2.1 and later

If I recall correctly - without going back to find it, one of the guys with the issue had the Feb update and still had power issues. So I'm not at all sure that's what the feb version is for...
On the February update the initial reduction of power was at a lower 25% SoC and not 45% (and i think it was milder too at 80% power)
But that is probably a side-effect of changing the lower buffers (just as we get the other desirable if effects of faster rapids for longer duration). And i think it will affect everyone, too.

ABRP is A Better Route Plan. Navigation and charging points .. trying to add live SoC to the app.

Torque Pro is paid/premium software so can't really share it. The forum administrator here would get into a lot of trouble and kick us off.
understand. problem I've got is I can't get to the play store to buy it on the Amazon Fire!
Will the free version allow custom PID stuff to be added?

I WAS going to say I don't know BUT.....

I just sorted the spreadsheet by "AC Unlocked" (Not everyone has provided this data).
All NOs have EVCC 1770099611
All YESs have EVCC 1770124111

That seems pretty definitive!
You need the EVCC updating - maybe you need to use another dealer that knows what they're doing.....
Weird that, because I can charge on AC unlocked with the ...611 EVCC. That is not the issue for me. The problem is that it charges right away as soon as I plug it in. I want to be able to use the timed charging on the app/website to take advantage of night time electricity rates, but as I say the charger and car can't seem to communicate in the right way to allow that. I've sent a support request to BP Chargemaster/Pulse. I'll see what they say before I go to another dealer.

Weird that, because I can charge on AC unlocked with the ...611 EVCC. That is not the issue for me. The problem is that it charges right away as soon as I plug it in. I want to be able to use the timed charging on the app/website to take advantage of night time electricity rates, but as I say the charger and car can't seem to communicate in the right way to allow that. I've sent a support request to BP Chargemaster/Pulse. I'll see what they say before I go to another dealer.
Sorry I should have added that I meant you've not got the latest version of the EVCC software.
I got excited at actually figuring out for definite what version of the 2 is the latest one!

I am surprised you can charge AC unlocked based on the data, but I guess it could be a config change that the dealer has made (along with other ECU updates) that has actually enabled it to work?
It certainly doesn't look right though that they've not put the latest version of the EVCC software on and I would very much guess that it needs updating to make everything work properly.

understand. problem I've got is I can't get to the play store to buy it on the Amazon Fire!
Will the free version allow custom PID stuff to be added?
I don't know about the lite version. But I doubt it as it's the custom PiDs that makes the app popular.
Do you have Google playstore on yours?

I don't know about the lite version. But I doubt it as it's the custom PiDs that makes the app popular.
Do you have Google playstore on yours?
No not got the play store on it.
I did manage to get it onto an older fire once, but I read that it's more difficult on the newer fire os, plus this is my little girls tablet so I don't want to hack around too much on it and slow it down any more!

No not got the play store on it.
I did manage to get it onto an older fire once, but I read that it's more difficult on the newer fire os, plus this is my little girls tablet so I don't want to hack around too much on it and slow it down any more!
This app works on iOS and apparently does custom PIDs. Not tried it myself.

Sorry I should have added that I meant you've not got the latest version of the EVCC software.
I got excited at actually figuring out for definite what version of the 2 is the latest one!

I am surprised you can charge AC unlocked based on the data, but I guess it could be a config change that the dealer has made (along with other ECU updates) that has actually enabled it to work?
It certainly doesn't look right though that they've not put the latest version of the EVCC software on and I would very much guess that it needs updating to make everything work properly.
Hi JodyS21, Just to let you know. I didn't take the car back again to the dealer as it wasn't convenient. Started a conversation with BPChargemaster/Pulse and got timed charging to work on my home charger (doors unlocked) with the latest BMS and the ...611 EVCC. As you say, there may be other configs that we don't yet know about or understand. I was a bit miffed at my dealer for not updating the EVCC as I specifically asked for it, but in fairness I know they were in contact with MG conversing about what was needed to get timed charging to work.

Hi from Norway, I had all the problems that everyone in this forum is talking about, now on my
second car since "July" last year, the dealer and tech from MG in "Oslo" Norway burned my battery
on the first car from "July" trying to fix it after the main battery fuse blew-up on morning.

Got a new car in November 2020 (after 8 weeks waiting on a new MG on boat from China), now
with the famous BMS version from hell, then I got all the mentioned battery problems many of you
have seen, very poor follow-up from my dealer in the south of Norway, until the update in "January"
where it was upgraded, after that I was left to charge balance the car at home on granny.

After having the car for a few quick follow-up with the dealer the tech in their workshop said that
everything is back to normal, I did not think so after what I had seen from day to day then.

I bought an OBD2 plug to verify if this was true, I now have a problem to make the "MG ZS - v1.2.1
- APP"
run stable will connected to the OBD port.

The "MG ZS - v1.2.1 - APP" is doing frequent crashes, then restarting, after that it's not running
stable anymore.

This is the OBD2 plug:

V1.5 OBD2 MINI - Android - Bluetooth

It's supporting the following protocol(s):

SAE J1850 PWM (41,6 Kbaud)
SAE J1850 VPW (10,4 Kbaud)
ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init, 10,4 Kbaud)
ISO14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10,4 Kbaud)
ISO14230-4 KWP (snabb init, 10,4 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN (11bit ID, 500 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN (29bit ID, 500 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN (11bit ID, 250 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN (29bit ID, 250 Kbaud)

The dealer of this OBD2 plug confirmed "it supports the ATPPS instruction, and the PIC18F25K80
chip is also used"

Output from the "ELM327 Identifier:

Scan date=2021-04-10 19:06:00
Device name=OBDII
Device mac=00:1D:A5:06:EC:C0
Device Version (Declared)=ELM327 v1.5

Command Version Result RAW
ATPPFFON 1.1 OK ATPPFFON\r\nOK\r\n\r\n>
ATPPFFOFF 1.1 OK ATPPFFOFF\r\nOK\r\n\r\n>
ATPPS 1.1 OK ATPPS\r\n00:FF F 01:FF F 02:FF F 03:32 F\r\n04:01 F 05:FF F 06:F1 F
07:09 F\r\n08:FF F 09:00 F 0A:0A F 0B:FF F\r\n0C:68 F 0D:0D F 0E:9A F 0F:FF F\r\n10:0D F
11:00 F 12:FF F 13:32 F\r\n14:FF F 15:0A F 16:FF F 17:92 F\r\n18:00 F 19:28 F 1A:FF F 1B:FF
F\r\n1C:FF F 1D:FF F 1E:FF F 1F:FF F\r\n20:FF F 21:FF F 22:FF F 23:FF F\r\n24:00 F 25:00 F
26:00 F 27:FF F\r\n28:FF F 29:FF F 2A:38 F 2B:02 F\r\n2C:E0 F 2D:04 F 2E:80 F 2F:0A
F\r\n\r\n>

Anyone seen this problem using their own OBD2 plug in combination with the APP, I have tried this
using both of the following phones:

* Samsung Galaxy A3, SM-A310F, Android 7.0, / 3.10.61-13952378
* Samsung Galaxy A21s, SM-A217F/DSN, Android 10 / 4.19.132-20058569

Sorry for this long posting, very good forum and many excellent contribution(s), hope to be part of
sharing some knowledge in the coming future with my car from Norway.

Attachments

• ELM327_Identifier_log0.txt
    4 KB · Views: 208
Hi from Norway, I had all the problems that everyone in this forum is talking about, now on my
second car since "July" last year, the dealer and tech from MG in "Oslo" Norway burned my battery
on the first car from "July" trying to fix it after the main battery fuse blew-up on morning.

Got a new car in November 2020 (after 8 weeks waiting on a new MG on boat from China), now
with the famous BMS version from hell, then I got all the mentioned battery problems many of you
have seen, very poor follow-up from my dealer in the south of Norway, until the update in "January"
where it was upgraded, after that I was left to charge balance the car at home on granny.

After having the car for a few quick follow-up with the dealer the tech in their workshop said that
everything is back to normal, I did not think so after what I had seen from day to day then.

I bought an OBD2 plug to verify if this was true, I now have a problem to make the "MG ZS - v1.2.1
- APP"

The "MG ZS - v1.2.1 - APP" is doing frequent crashes, then restarting, after that it's not running
stable anymore.

This is the OBD2 plug:

The dealer of this OBD2 plug confirmed "it supports the ATPPS instruction, and the PIC18F25K80
chip is also used"

Device name=OBDII

ATPPS 1.1 OK ATPPS\r\n00:FF F 01:FF F 02:FF F 03:32 F\r\n04:01 F 05:FF F 06:F1 F
07:09 F\r\n08:FF F 09:00 F 0A:0A F 0B:FF F\r\n0C:68 F 0D:0D F 0E:9A F 0F:FF F\r\n10:0D F
11:00 F 12:FF F 13:32 F\r\n14:FF F 15:0A F 16:FF F 17:92 F\r\n18:00 F 19:28 F 1A:FF F 1B:FF
F\r\n1C:FF F 1D:FF F 1E:FF F 1F:FF F\r\n20:FF F 21:FF F 22:FF F 23:FF F\r\n24:00 F 25:00 F
26:00 F 27:FF F\r\n28:FF F 29:FF F 2A:38 F 2B:02 F\r\n2C:E0 F 2D:04 F 2E:80 F 2F:0A
F\r\n\r\n>

Anyone seen this problem using their own OBD2 plug in combination with the APP, I have tried this

Sorry for this long posting, very good forum and many excellent contribution(s), hope to be part of
Edit .
My advice is to try a different android device if still the same then try a different dongle/adapter
Also car needs to be awake for app to work. The app shuts down automatically if car is asleep. This is to avoid triggering the car alarm.
Also app is poor at multi tasking and loses connection.
The link you sent I cannot see confirmation of PIC18F25K80 chipset

Last edited:
Hi JodyS21, Just to let you know. I didn't take the car back again to the dealer as it wasn't convenient. Started a conversation with BPChargemaster/Pulse and got timed charging to work on my home charger (doors unlocked) with the latest BMS and the ...611 EVCC. As you say, there may be other configs that we don't yet know about or understand. I was a bit miffed at my dealer for not updating the EVCC as I specifically asked for it, but in fairness I know they were in contact with MG conversing about what was needed to get timed charging to work.
To be honest they should've known what to do.
We've seen a copy of a bulletin that was sent to all of the dealers telling them what to update and do to in regard this this.
Unfortunately yet again most (not all) dealerships don't seem to be clued up about this car/the systems.

Out of curiosity, is your smart/scheduled timing that you've got working, doing a small trickle charge as soon as you plug in to keep the car alive until the scheduled time to do the proper charge, or it is doing nothing until the scheduled time and then managing to wake the car up to allow the charge?

- APP"

stable anymore.

This is the OBD2 plug:

chip is also used"

Device name=OBDII

F\r\n\r\n>

You've had fun times with your car!!

The app does very often crash after a while, it does the job though to get the data normally as it only takes a minute to get it.
Does the app run at all, do you get a screen come up - I didn't on an older version of android.
On start up the app does 2 lots 0-100% circles, if it crashes half way through the 2nd, then that from my experience is the dongle (car) not powered up.

Edit .
My advice is to try a different android device if still the same then try a different dongle/adapter
Also car needs to be awake for app to work. The app shuts down automatically if car is asleep. This is to avoid triggering the car alarm.
Also app is poor at multi tasking and loses connection.
The link you sent I cannot see confirmation of PIC18F25K80 chipset
Hi AbuG, yes the car is in correct mode to run the ODB adapter, chipset is confirmed by the reseller
support staff, I have ordered a second version from them to test if same problem whit that also.

The connection lose was on my mind since I have read others thinking the same, it happens when
more readings are done, i.e the "Battery" read out screen looks to stay running longer then others.

Here is the link to second adapter:

OBD2 v2.1 - Bluetooth 2.0

Thanks for your input, I do get to read the data needed, but not having it running when driving ;0(

You've had fun times with your car!!

The app does very often crash after a while, it does the job though to get the data normally as it only takes a minute to get it.
Does the app run at all, do you get a screen come up - I didn't on an older version of android.
On start up the app does 2 lots 0-100% circles, if it crashes half way through the 2nd, then that from my experience is the dongle (car) not powered up.
Hi JodyS21, I do get the needed data from the screen(s) in a short time, not able to use it when in
the car driving, that is a shame, very nice APP, we should support the developer for an update.

I will upload my screen(s) to your other thread in the forum for your data collection on BMS, etc.

Hi AbuG, yes the car is in correct mode to run the ODB adapter, chipset is confirmed by the reseller
support staff, I have ordered a second version from them to test if same problem whit that also.

The connection lose was on my mind since I have read others thinking the same, it happens when
more readings are done, i.e the "Battery" read out screen looks to stay running longer then others.

Thanks for your input, I do get to read the data needed, but not having it running when driving ;0(
Again this second adapter does not state the chipset... They are usually even more cheaper imitation chips that will cause problems with slow connection drop-outs.
Which is not good for live data while driving.

You can also use the app "torque pro" to test it and even check data connection speeds.

I can only get mine working for a few minutes at a time when driving. Not so bad if someone else is driving as you can keep restarting it, but not so if actually driving.
You may well be getting from it as much as you're going to, it's not a polished app etc more so something someone knocked up as it was the only option at the time to get the data.

I'd look down the torque pro route for the moment if you want data whilst driving.
Otherwise, give it a few more months when people have got a more user friendly/easier way available.

Hi Jo
To be honest they should've known what to do.
We've seen a copy of a bulletin that was sent to all of the dealers telling them what to update and do to in regard this this.
Unfortunately yet again most (not all) dealerships don't seem to be clued up about this car/the systems.

Out of curiosity, is your smart/scheduled timing that you've got working, doing a small trickle charge as soon as you plug in to keep the car alive until the scheduled time to do the proper charge, or it is doing nothing until the scheduled time and then managing to wake the car up to allow the charge?
Hi, I spoke to BP yesterday as I'm engaging with them to try and fix the issue with Chargemaster/Pulse Home chargers. I asked this question. Apparently, the unit does not send a trickle charge. It simply wakes the car up.

Hi Jo

Hi, I spoke to BP yesterday as I'm engaging with them to try and fix the issue with Chargemaster/Pulse Home chargers. I asked this question. Apparently, the unit does not send a trickle charge. It simply wakes the car up.
That probably points to the problem.

Part of the latest charging (EVCC) update was to allow smart/scheduled chargers to wake the car up. Prior to this the only way to "kind of do" a scheduled charge was that the charger had to start a trickle charge straightaway when plugged in and then give it full rate charge at the scheduled time.

This is why I believe that some smart chargers have 2 options for the car in their setup - one does a trickle straight away, the other wakes the car up when it wants to charge.

I believe to get "scheduled" charging working ages ago, the charger manufacturers had to make special changes to do the trickle charge work around

Others may be able to confirm this more, I have no personal experience of it.

I think you need the EVCC update sorting out....

Part of the latest charging (EVCC) update was to allow smart/scheduled chargers to wake the car up. Prior to this the only way to "kind of do" a scheduled charge was that the charger had to start a trickle charge straightaway when plugged in and then give it full rate charge at the scheduled time.

This is why I believe that some smart chargers have 2 options for the car in their setup - one does a trickle straight away, the other wakes the car up when it wants to charge.

I believe to get "scheduled" charging working ages ago, the charger manufacturers had to make special changes to do the trickle charge work around

Yes it is also the EVCC that allows the car to charge unlocked.

There’s a thread running on podpoint timed charging for those with podpoint chargers. They’ve at last developed timed charging for their app. I’m not sure how it manages the handshake with the car, but my experience is that it doesn’t appear to draw any current until it starts to charge - so I would guess wakes up the car then somehow. That said, my car is not configured to charge AC unlocked, but it does work ok (sometimes) so in this instance the two areas do not seem to be linked.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom