Project OBD2 - Mobile App v1.2.1 and later

Watching this thread with great interest, it seems to be the most popular on here at the moment! Thanks to everyone for posting their results (y)

Fire tablets - I have one but haven't used it in ages, and without someone mentioning it on here would never have though of using it. I do remember though you can sideload apps onto the device so that maybe a solution for those having issues (look for it on your search engine of choice, should get plenty of results).

Last edited:
Can do one do an installation video of this setup and functionality, this would be really cool...🤞🤞

Hurrah, got it working!
I've only got Amazon Fire 7 tablets (everything else it Apple), which although are Android are Amazons flavour of it and locked down pretty well.

Just FYI.
I had left the dongle plugged in the car and was able to connect from inside the house to it, but the app was crashing as it was connecting/scanning.
This morning I went out into the car and turned the car on, bingo, ok I had now installed ver 1.2.1 too, but I think that was partly my problem.
The car is giving the dongle power when locked/switched off, but I couldn't get any data.
(I'm not getting the alarm going off etc as someone else was)

View attachment 1893
Hurrah, got it working!
I've only got Amazon Fire 7 tablets (everything else it Apple), which although are Android are Amazons flavour of it and locked down pretty well.

Just FYI.
I had left the dongle plugged in the car and was able to connect from inside the house to it, but the app was crashing as it was connecting/scanning.
This morning I went out into the car and turned the car on, bingo, ok I had now installed ver 1.2.1 too, but I think that was partly my problem.
The car is giving the dongle power when locked/switched off, but I couldn't get any data.
(I'm not getting the alarm going off etc as someone else was)

View attachment 1893
How did you get it installed on the Kindle Fire (or is the screenshot above for a different device). I can download and get the file on the fire but when I click on it I keep getting the same parsing error. I have enabled third party apps in the security settings.

I can't get it working on my fire 7 that's about a year or so old.
It works however on a more recently purchased fire 7.

They use different versions of Android under the amazon skin. Amazon will not let the latest version of their OS be installed on the previous fire 7.
(I actually bought the new one which is practically identical because of this reason - you can extend the file system onto an SD card on the latest one)

All versions of the app cause the "there was a problem while parsing the package" error on the older fire 7. On the new one it (ver1.3) installed fine.
(It does crash every so often)

FYI to install on the Fire 7, I had to do the following:
I installed the File Manager application by Rhythm Software.
In settings -> security -> Apps from Unknown Sources; for File Manager turned on Allow from this source.
I had problems getting the apk file onto the device.
In the silk browser I couldn't download or open the apk file from the google drive.
I ended up having to download it on my mac and put it into my dropbox, then via the silk browser logged into my dropbox and it then let me download the file.
In the File Manager app, I then went to the Download folder, and ran the apk file to install it.
Job done :)

@Mgmedd & @ARealHuman
It looks like it needs Fire OS 7 – based on Android 9.0 Pie to work.

Looks like it only runs on these generation devices:
7.3.1.7 -- November 2020: Latest version for Fire HD 8 (10th Generation), Fire HD 8 Plus (10th Generation), Fire HD 10 (9th Generation), Fire 7 (9th Generation), Fire HD 8 (8th Generation)

@AbuG Is this the same obd2 that you've got working well?
I got it from your ebay link.
View attachment 1890View attachment 1891View attachment 1892
I followed same link to ebay. Got this same obd2 reader but cant get it working. Downloaded new 1.2.1 app, paired obd with Samsung s8 running android 9. Power light on reader lit but app does not connect. On an old elm reader it scans on app and gets to 40% before app shuts down.

Does yours light up on more than just power led underneath?

Version 1.2.1 works about 40% of the time with my Google Pixel 5.

Car bought early October, came with Comfort 2 installed from the factory. I couldn't charge unlocked or carry out a timed charge.

BMS & HV Fuse update carried out by Chorley Group MG (Burnley) 24th October, just before the really bad 28th version, I have the long equalisation BMS. The IPK was definitely updated as part of this as I remember the mechanic mentioning it, along with the known DCDC, TC, EVCC & OBC.

Charge unlocked - Yes
Timed charge - Yes
Battery heater - No
Graphics - No

Screenshot_20210302-200944.png
Screenshot_20210302-200959.png

Data below, ZS was charged last night to full(cycled to work today so it was still connected when I got home this evening), I had the heated seat on when taking the readings:

Screenshot_20210302-201129.png
Screenshot_20210302-201138.png

I followed same link to ebay. Got this same obd2 reader but cant get it working. Downloaded new 1.2.1 app, paired obd with Samsung s8 running android 9. Power light on reader lit but app does not connect. On an old elm reader it scans on app and gets to 40% before app shuts down.

It it shuts down at 40% it because the car is in sleep mode... Try putting the car in ready mode and retry

Can someone please confirm the name of the app to download from 'play store'?

Just checked my BMS version of which I've had the Jan 21 update done twice (last update 11/02) and this is 0210622EU1..... Not seen this version in any other posts or the spreadsheet

Before anyone asks I have all the other updates deployed and the full charge is 450v

I’m not sure about any lights on the dongle, didn’t look.
I had same thing though, app crashed as it was scanning (2nd circle going around), I think it was caused by the car not being on properly as it was then ok when on READY.
I think it’s always powered when plugged in & therefore you can Bluetooth connect to it so think it’s good to go, but it can’t actually do anything properly.

Just checked my BMS version of which I've had the Jan 21 update done twice (last update 11/02) and this is 0210622EU1..... Not seen this version in any other posts or the spreadsheet

Before anyone asks I have all the other updates deployed and the full charge is 450v
Can you paste your full set of version data

Version 1.2.1 works about 40% of the time with my Google Pixel 5.

Car bought early October, came with Comfort 2 installed from the factory. I couldn't charge unlocked or carry out a timed charge.

BMS & HV Fuse update carried out by Chorley Group MG (Burnley) 24th October, just before the really bad 28th version, I have the long equalisation BMS. The IPK was definitely updated as part of this as I remember the mechanic mentioning it, along with the known DCDC, TC, EVCC & OBC.

Charge unlocked - Yes
Timed charge - Yes
Battery heater - No
Graphics - No

View attachment 1915View attachment 1916

Data below, ZS was charged last night to full(cycled to work today so it was still connected when I got home this evening), I had the heated seat on when taking the readings:

View attachment 1918View attachment 1919
7/2020 BMS is version - 0603610R28.

Added procedure and trouble shooting section to OP...chip in anything else that might be relevant.

Procedure
1. Install the apk on the android phone or tablet,
2. Plug the Bluetooth OBD2 device into the car OBD2 port , ( on ZS it's a little below the bonnet pull release in the driver's foot well, line up device and push into it)
3. Switch the car to "Ready" mode
4. In Android bluetooth settings, pair the phone to the OBDII device (password probably 1234 or 0000)
5. Run the app in the app menu select the device that you paired.
6. then it should work. If not troubleshoot

Troubleshooting
🎯 Can't install APK. Make sure it's on an android device. Install for unknown sources. Otherwise Google your error for your device. Ask in the forum if anyone else has this device.
🎯 Fails at 10-20% scantools. Incompatible OBD2 device. From Google app store download "ELM327 Identifer" app , connect and scan. If ATPPS 1.1 missing then incompatible. Source another device... ask on forum what has worked for others.
🎯 Fails at 36-40% vehicle scan and app shuts down... Your car ECU us in deep sleep try waking it by unlocking this might wake for few minutes only, can be repeated. If fails then out car in "Ready" mode.
🎯 Alarm is triggering shortly after locking car door. Either your OBD2 device was incompatible to begin with..then remove it from port before locking. Or your DRLs were switched off with the app. Disconnect the app (or switch on) before locking the car

I have downloaded the software, but now need to buy the OBD2 can people please post the links to the items they bought that worked?
Thank you

I have downloaded the software, but now need to buy the OBD2 can people please post the links to the items they bought that worked?
Thank you
Hi @Mark Holmes this is the one I got from the above link

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom