• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Project OBD2 - Mobile App v1.2.1 and later

Have my car booked in for updates on Thursday, so will be interested to see what (if any) difference it makes. I'll be checking anyway once it's done to make sure things have changed, haha. Knowledge is a dangerous thing 🤣
That'll be really interesting to see after it's been updated, yours will be the first car we have full obd2 data for before (455v) and after the (450v) update.

I tell you what would be REALLY good to know, what your ("455v") bottom voltage/SoC is now before the update.
I really want confirmation of what the upper and lower is, to see if we really have got the same usable battery amount before and after this (450v) update.
Any chance you could do that before you take it in?
I did it a week or so ago before I had the obd2 dongle/app unfortunately, but I am going to do it again this evening when my wife gets home with the car.
Will leave it locked on the driveway with the heater on full and run it completely down again until it shuts off. Handily I've got a little neos security camera that I can leave in the car so that I can record and see what's going on the dash from inside the house - where I'll have the app running to get the obd2 data.
Any bets on what the lowest SoC% is going to be!?

That'll be really interesting to see after it's been updated, yours will be the first car we have full obd2 data for before (455v) and after the (450v) update.

I tell you what would be REALLY good to know, what your ("455v") bottom voltage/SoC is now before the update.
I really want confirmation of what the upper and lower is, to see if we really have got the same usable battery amount before and after this (450v) update.
Any chance you could do that before you take it in?
I did it a week or so ago before I had the obd2 dongle/app unfortunately, but I am going to do it again this evening when my wife gets home with the car.
Will leave it locked on the driveway with the heater on full and run it completely down again until it shuts off. Handily I've got a little neos security camera that I can leave in the car so that I can record and see what's going on the dash from inside the house - where I'll have the app running to get the obd2 data.
Any bets on what the lowest SoC% is going to be!?
Ergh, If I was working from home maybe, unfortunately I'm still at work full time (NHS yay?) So I'll need the car up until the point I take it in.. then it's taxi to work the day after till it's done :(

Ergh, If I was working from home maybe, unfortunately I'm still at work full time (NHS yay?) So I'll need the car up until the point I take it in.. then it's taxi to work the day after till it's done :(
That's a shame.
That's why my wife is still doing 102miles a day - works in a London hospital.

It'll be pretty low when she gets home in a bit, so a couple of hours with the heater on full etc and it'll be empty. I'll then shove it back on charge, won't be 100% on granny by the morning but she's off Tuesdays so it'll be ok.

Hi, please find data with 100% charge and equalisaion. Bought car end of December 2020, driven 515 miles, got BMS update on 25th January. Never done rapid charging, all with fast chrager i.e. 7KWH except equalisation on granny charger. 449V on display with 100% charge , HAVC off Economy range 200 miles. HAV off Normal range 182. App data SoC 93%, SoH is 100% with Voltage 449.5 V

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20210308_064013.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20210308_064013.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 142
  • thumbnail_IMG_20210308_064023.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20210308_064023.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20210308_065720_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308_065720_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20210306_153157_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306_153157_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot_20210308_065740_com.mg.zs.mgzsev (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20210308_065740_com.mg.zs.mgzsev (1).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20210306_153150_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306_153150_com.mg.zs.mgzsev.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 131
I've just posted the test I've done this evening - Low State of Charge / Run Flat Test - with OBD2 Data (8/3/21).
(93.0% - 0.5% SoC)

Hi, please find data with 100% charge and equalisaion. Bought car end of December 2020, driven 515 miles, got BMS update on 25th January. Never done rapid charging, all with fast chrager i.e. 7KWH except equalisation on granny charger. 449V on display with 100% charge , HAVC off Economy range 200 miles. HAV off Normal range 182. App data SoC 93%, SoH is 100% with Voltage 449.5 V
Thanks
I've added that into the main spreadsheet, and into my new little data at full charge spreadsheet - I'll update that wherever it was I posted it!

Did you reset the Accumulated Trip before you recorded that GOM in N3 reading? (As I'm surprised it's not very close to 163miles)

Just a reminder for everyone, turn the car on without pressing the brake pedal, to get 100% accurate readings (that'll ensure the HV battery is off).

Thanks
I've added that into the main spreadsheet, and into my new little data at full charge spreadsheet - I'll update that wherever it was I posted it!

Did you reset the Accumulated Trip before you recorded that GOM in N3 reading? (As I'm surprised it's not very close to 163miles)

Just a reminder for everyone, turn the car on without pressing the brake pedal, to get 100% accurate readings (that'll ensure the HV battery is off).
Thanks. Last time GOM was reset on 25/01/2021 when BMS was updated. I will reset next time when charge 100%

Does anyone know what the SCU is, my version I think is different to some others.

Completed a balancing charge last night.

Just wondering if the battery min/max difference is an indicator of how balanced or unbalanced the battery is?
Range is as expected so I don't think its too far out.

Screenshot_20210309-080902_ZS EV.jpg

Completed a balancing charge last night.

Just wondering if the battery min/max difference is an indicator of how balanced or unbalanced the battery is?
Range is as expected so I don't think its too far out.

View attachment 2138
Added data: Project OBD2 - Mobile App v1.2.1

Correct, that is exactly what the minimum cell voltage and maximum cell voltage is, it is those that is tries to keep balanced.
I believe that there are 9 individually controlled cell packs that it can read the voltage from and manage separately.
18 Cell packs, so they're managed in pairs.

Last edited:
Hi there Jody,

Attached are my screenshots. I will charge later this week and post screenshots of the data when fully charged. For info, I bought my black ZS EV in Feb 2020, to my knowledge it hasn't had any optional updates other than the comfort updater which was done at the first service in Feb 2021.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210309-175844.png
    Screenshot_20210309-175844.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20210309-175719.png
    Screenshot_20210309-175719.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 133
Hi there Jody,

Attached are my screenshots. I will charge later this week and post screenshots of the data when fully charged. For info, I bought my black ZS EV in Feb 2020, to my knowledge it hasn't had any optional updates other than the comfort updater which was done at the first service in Feb 2021.
Your battery's State of health is slightly reduced at the one year mark which is not unusual... What is you mileage?

Your battery's State of health is slightly reduced at the one year mark which is not unusual... What is you mileage?
15000 miles. I was wondering if this is also partially because the BMS is quite old (R15) and perhaps using an older algorithm for SoC/SoH. I notice that for others they get a SoC<100% but SoH=100% when claiming that their battery is fully charged (maybe I've misunderstood). I'd be interested in keeping an eye on this. Also 98% of my charges have been 7kW or 3kW with only a couple of rapid charges and rarely at 100% for more than a a day or two.

It's not unusual to have a bit of degradation and 0.22% at one year mark, is nothing to be concerned about.

What worries me more is lots of people who don't show any degradation as it makes the cynic in me to think the updates might be manipulating the numbers,by slowing the recorded progression.
Will be interesting to see your SoC at full charge.

R15, I think was the original for UK.

Last edited:
Hi there Jody,

15000 miles. I was wondering if this is also partially because the BMS is quite old (R15) and perhaps using an older algorithm for SoC/SoH. I notice that for others they get a SoC<100% but SoH=100% when claiming that their battery is fully charged (maybe I've misunderstood). I'd be interested in keeping an eye on this. Also 98% of my charges have been 7kW or 3kW with only a couple of rapid charges and rarely at 100% for more than a a day or two.
Thanks.
I've added to the spreadsheet.

I'm really surprised they didn't update your BMS at the service. I thought that this was part of having a service - a big reason why should have it done at an MG dealer rather than a cheaper independent etc.
What date in Feb was the service? as another newer BMS came out in Feb (earliest someone got the newer BMS is 11/2).
Decision for you really, I think if it were me, I'd want a newer (must be better) one installed.

We believe the SoC is the percentage of a full 44.5kWh battery charge, the BMS stops it being charged to the full amount for preservation purposes. The data must be manipulated to show on the dash when charging that it gets to "100%".
SoH, not sure yet what this means/how it's calculated.

It'll be very interesting to see your fully charged & balanced data. (Take data with car on but brake pedal not pressed so HV battery is off)

Thanks.
I've added to the spreadsheet.

I'm really surprised they didn't update your BMS at the service. I thought that this was part of having a service - a big reason why should have it done at an MG dealer rather than a cheaper independent etc.
What date in Feb was the service? as another newer BMS came out in Feb (earliest someone got the newer BMS is 11/2).
Decision for you really, I think if it were me, I'd want a newer (must be better) one installed.

We believe the SoC is the percentage of a full 44.5kWh battery charge, the BMS stops it being charged to the full amount for preservation purposes. The data must be manipulated to show on the dash when charging that it gets to "100%".
SoH, not sure yet what this means/how it's calculated.

It'll be very interesting to see your fully charged & balanced data. (Take data with car on but brake pedal not pressed so HV battery is off)
Thanks for this.

Yes, I was umming and ahhing about whether to specifically request BMS and other software updates at the first service and assumed that if they were important, that they would be done as a matter of course.

I decided against specifically asking for these to be done as at the time there was still (in my opinion) not a clear picture on the impact of the faulty BMS software and whether the more recent updates rectifying the problem were themselves bug free. I am nervous to say this but, to date, the car has been flawless in terms of performance, range, drive-ability, etc and I didn't see any new functionality from the updates that warranted specifically requesting updating the other bit, not like me as I am usually an early adopter.

It is interesting to see that only the comfort update and DCDC and ECC updates have been undertaken. This being the first time I get to see what has and hasn't been done proved interesting but I still don't feel compelled to get the entire car updated at this stage.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the recent updates to the BMS in terms of the SoH evolution over time, perhaps that is one of the key benefits of the more recent updates and the move to shifting the upper (and presumably lower) voltage limits of the operation of the battery.

Will re-post when I get some data of the charged car and will follow your advice on the conditions relating to how to capture this. Thanks for this effort and for the spreadsheet, it has been eye opening to see the range of software variants (and combinations of these) around. Must be a nightmare to keep track of.

My feeling around SoH and SoC is that however it is done, (SoC/100) x (SoH/100) 44.5 = Available Capacity. You either always report SoC between 0 and 100 regardless of the "full" voltage and then decrease SoH as available capacity decreases with age (makes most sense to me) OR do the opposite, keep SoH constant at 100% (Why have it in this case?) and reduce and report the "full" voltage or SoC as the available battery voltage decreases. However, it I guess that batteries are complex things and it is almost certain that capacity degrades without voltage limits changing.

I love seeing the battery voltage and current but one of the dangers is that it can overly simplify how batteries operate and age, leading to disappointed customers/drivers in some cases. I wonder if it is a way of shielding the available capacity of the battery from the user making warranty claims not impossible but more difficult as the company learn about deploying these cars in a countries with a different set of climates.

Last edited:
Photos taken this morning from a fully charged battery last night, GOM reset and with no power on, but in ready mode.
Bought March 2020, Comfort 2 installed, serviced 23rd Feb, charging with doors unlocked. Very little Rapid charging maybe 7 or 8 times to the best of my knowledge.
New voltage 449 on full battery, range 163 in normal after full GOM reset and over 15300 miles of happy, trouble free motoring to date.
Love my MG...

Attachments

• D32BB43E-A540-4C82-B970-3C4BABFF391D.jpeg
    D32BB43E-A540-4C82-B970-3C4BABFF391D.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 9572052C-701B-4A50-B3CF-D3CB9FA37E93.jpeg
    9572052C-701B-4A50-B3CF-D3CB9FA37E93.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 107
  • CCAC0482-9668-4F73-B229-ECA5316448B6.jpeg
    CCAC0482-9668-4F73-B229-ECA5316448B6.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 0F29D50F-A7C4-4A0E-8164-4666E380665C.jpeg
    0F29D50F-A7C4-4A0E-8164-4666E380665C.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 97
  • FD2F6FA9-E38E-4005-98BF-FEA52AEACD54.jpeg
    FD2F6FA9-E38E-4005-98BF-FEA52AEACD54.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 519F4AB1-747F-4F9B-85C0-5787E0B7CE92.jpeg
    519F4AB1-747F-4F9B-85C0-5787E0B7CE92.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for this.

Yes, I was umming and ahhing about whether to specifically request BMS and other software updates at the first service and assumed that if they were important, that they would be done as a matter of course.

I decided against specifically asking for these to be done as at the time there was still (in my opinion) not a clear picture on the impact of the faulty BMS software and whether the more recent updates rectifying the problem were themselves bug free. I am nervous to say this but, to date, the car has been flawless in terms of performance, range, drive-ability, etc and I didn't see any new functionality from the updates that warranted specifically requesting updating the other bit, not like me as I am usually an early adopter.

It is interesting to see that only the comfort update and DCDC and ECC updates have been undertaken. This being the first time I get to see what has and hasn't been done proved interested but still don't feel compelled to get the entire car updated at this stage.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the recent updates to the BMS in terms of the SoH evolution over time, perhaps that is one of the key benefits of the more recent updates and the move to shifting the upper (and presumably lower) voltage limits of the operation of the battery.

Will re-post when I get some data of the chraged car and will follow your advice on the conditions relating to how to capture this. Thanks for this effort and for the spreadsheet, it has been eye opening to see the range of software variants (and combinations of these) around. Must be a nightmare to keep track of.

My feeling around SoH and SoC is that however it is done, (SoC/100) x (SoH/100) 44.5 = Available Capacity. You either always report SoC between 0 and 100 regardless of the "full" voltage and decrease SoH as available capacity decreases with age (makes most sense to me) OR do the opposite, keep SoH constant at 100% (Why have it in this case) and reduce and report the "full" voltage or SoC as the available battery voltage decreases. However, it I guess that batteries are complex things and it is almost certain that capacity degrades without voltage limits changing.

I love seeing the battery voltage and current but one of the dangers is that it can overly simplify how batteries operate and age, leading to disappointed customers/drivers in some cases. I wonder if it is a way of sheilding the available capacity of the battery from the user making warranty claims not impossible but more difficult as the company learn about deploying these cars in a countries with a different set of climates.
Did the dealer ask you about updating anything, tell you about it & give you the choice etc?
I know what you mean, it is safer to wait until the newer bms has been out a while.

Oh, did you get the obd2 versions before and after the update then, interesting to know what they were/are. So they were the only 2 modules updated to provide the comfort pack 2?

I know what you mean, show the user something - a voltage, but not the actual capacity (in kWh) so that they won't know when they've got less than 70% to make a warranty claim lol

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom