Public Charging session ended - Autohold & Low-voltage Battery faults showing

FiferMG4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I decided to try a couple of public chargers this morning, the first being a fast charger where I used my type 2 cable. It may have been my fault for not pulling out the cables in the right order or not pressing something on the infotainment screen, but I took the connector out of the car first, then the charging station. When I sat in the car the Autohold and Low-voltage Battery Charging System Malfunction Warning Lamp warning symbols were showing. Putting the car into ready cleared both of these faults on the driver’s screen.

As it was going to take too long to charge the car up to 90% I then moved location and charged on an Osprey rapid charger. This time I was watching the charging screen and the charge slowly went to zero as it reached 90% which I had set. I stopped the charge session and unlocked the cable and the two faults appeared again. They both cleared upon putting the car into ready.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something in the wrong order? Any advice is much appreciated. Anyway, I was pleased with how quickly the Osprey charged the car. Average of 44kWh.

You should be able to stop charging using the MG app or depending upon charging station their app (podpoint is a no). Another method is to turn down % level set in the car below the existing charged level which stops charging...or just unlock the car and pull it out.

Pulling the cable out whilst charging has to be done at the car end as you probably know given charging stations won't release the cable at the charging station end whilst charging...think someone trying to disconnect you whilst charging to grab the charger.

Pulling out the cable should not affect the car as the cp signalling pin should disconnect first, stopping power delivery before the live/neutral and then earth are disconnected.

I assume you are powering down the car, plugging in to car/charging station in no particular order and charging starts.

Do these alerts only show when the charger has been disconnected not during charging?

Given whilst charging the 12v is being topped up the Low-voltage Battery Charging System Malfunction may just be a byproduct of that 🤷‍♂️ assuming the 12v was being charged?

Autohold...no clue

You should be able to stop charging using the MG app or depending upon charging station their app (podpoint is a no). Another method is to turn down % level set in the car below the existing charged level which stops charging...or just unlock the car and pull it out.

Pulling the cable out whilst charging has to be done at the car end as you probably know given charging stations won't release the cable at the charging station end whilst charging...think someone trying to disconnect you whilst charging to grab the charger.

Pulling out the cable should not affect the car as the cp signalling pin should disconnect first, stopping power delivery before the live/neutral and then earth are disconnected.

I assume you are powering down the car, plugging in to car/charging station in no particular order and charging starts.

Do these alerts only show when the charger has been disconnected not during charging?

Given whilst charging the 12v is being topped up the Low-voltage Battery Charging System Malfunction may just be a byproduct of that 🤷‍♂️ assuming the 12v was being charged?

Autohold...no clue
Thanks for your reply Briggie. Yes, the alerts only showed up after I disconnected and was sitting in the car. Perhaps, what I was doing wrong was locking the car (powering down) after I had started the charging process. Should I lock the car before I plug in the charger?

Manual charging- Power down first , power off in the infotainment system (Car > safety> power off), plug in and charging should commence. If you then want to lock and walk away fine. If you want to sit in the car again fine. Have you tried that method?

Was the 12v topping up during charging ?

If so maybe just gremlins that you should keep an eye on if they are not causing any issues.

Manual charging- Power down first , power off in the infotainment system (Car > safety> power off), plug in and charging should commence. If you then want to lock and walk away fine. If you want to sit in the car again fine. Have you tried that method?

If so maybe just gremlins that you should keep an eye on if they are not causing any issues.
Thanks. I shall try that method. Yes, the 12v had been topped up just fine, so I was wondering why that warning light should pop up. Hmm, sneaky gremlins. 👀

I decided to try a couple of public chargers this morning, the first being a fast charger where I used my type 2 cable. It may have been my fault for not pulling out the cables in the right order or not pressing something on the infotainment screen, but I took the connector out of the car first, then the charging station. When I sat in the car the Autohold and Low-voltage Battery Charging System Malfunction Warning Lamp warning symbols were showing. Putting the car into ready cleared both of these faults on the driver’s screen.

As it was going to take too long to charge the car up to 90% I then moved location and charged on an Osprey rapid charger. This time I was watching the charging screen and the charge slowly went to zero as it reached 90% which I had set. I stopped the charge session and unlocked the cable and the two faults appeared again. They both cleared upon putting the car into ready.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something in the wrong order? Any advice is much appreciated. Anyway, I was pleased with how quickly the Osprey charged the car. Average of 44kWh.
Mine is going into the dealer for this next week. However, it is quite random of when these errors appear ! Like you said, they clear after you set off. It’s normally Auto hold or Rear cross traffic warning symbols.

There's no need to power down to charge.

My routine is simple: jump out of the car, plug in the charger, lock the doors. Charging commences as scheduled by the Zappi.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back