• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Questions on fitting new headlight bulbs ....

D

Deleted member 2439

Hi,

My new LED bulbs have just arrived from Amazon & I have a couple of questions.....

1) There is a short cable with in-line box attached, with the female connector at the end. Will all this fit inside the headlight and then screw the cap on again? I haven’t looked yet as SWMBO is out with the car at the moment, but it looks like there’s more stuff than space from the video I saw.

2) There is a sticker near the connector which suggests reversing the polarity if it doesn’t work. Any comments?

3) Any tips on alignment when fitting the bulb?

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to fit them this afternoon and try them out this evening.

Cheers - Rob

Hi,

My new LED bulbs have just arrived from Amazon & I have a couple of questions.....

1) There is a short cable with in-line box attached, with the female connector at the end. Will all this fit inside the headlight and then screw the cap on again? I haven’t looked yet as SWMBO is out with the car at the moment, but it looks like there’s more stuff than space from the video I saw.

2) There is a sticker near the connector which suggests reversing the polarity if it doesn’t work. Any comments?

3) Any tips on alignment when fitting the bulb?

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to fit them this afternoon and try them out this evening.

Cheers - Rob
Yes I had to reverse polarity. Also found covers came of easy if you warm them with wife's hair dryer. Ask permission to use it!

Yes I had to reverse polarity. Also found covers came of easy if you warm them with wife's hair dryer. Ask permission to use it!
What about space for all the gubbins, cable and little box. Does that easily fit inside the cap?

What brand bulbs did you get?

My Koyoso bulbs have an online driver - it's a sign of quality as it stabilises the current and extends the life of the bulbs. It was small enough to get into the back of the headlight without issue.

A lot of LED bulbs have a certain polarity and won't work the wrong way round. You need to test they turn on before fitting them into the headlights, can save the hassle of having to refit them.

The bulbs usually have a removable collar that fits into the headlight unit and then you pressure fit the bulbs or turn them to lock them into place.

Saves time if you look at the colour of the wires before plugging in - red goes to positive assuming the socket is marked up.

And watch the little clips on the plugs when you're taking the original bulbs out... some of us have a heavier touch than others, so there's a few broken clips out there 🤦‍♂️

What brand bulbs did you get?

My Koyoso bulbs have an online driver - it's a sign of quality as it stabilises the current and extends the life of the bulbs. It was small enough to get into the back of the headlight without issue.

A lot of LED bulbs have a certain polarity and won't work the wrong way round. You need to test they turn on before fitting them into the headlights, can save the hassle of having to refit them.

The bulbs usually have a removable collar that fits into the headlight unit and then you pressure fit the bulbs or turn them to lock them into place.
The ones you suggested - Koyoso

LED bulbs = MOT fail.
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it in a couple of years time. :rolleyes:

Who Cares Judge Judy GIF by Lifetime Telly
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi. I recommend this led headlight.
I have tried few ones, and this is the best one. Very bright, don't make any noise, ready to fit without any wires just swap the bulbs and a perfect alignment light. Boughted on amazon, around £45.00.
The bulbs type is HB3
20210206_114427.jpg
20210206_114450.jpg

Screenshot_20210206-133501_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ok, but just need to remember to swap the original bulbs before do the MOT.

Any bulbs I take out get stored in the car. If memory serves, a bulb failure is a free retest, so in the event you forget, and it's failed, it's the work of seconds to swap it back 🤷‍♂️

LED bulbs = MOT fail.
Technically yes, but mot testers are not allowed to dismantle anything to look and as the bulb type can not be visually seen through the headlight unit in the case of our cars, as long as the beam pattern is correct, they'll be oblivious to what bulb type you have in there. ;)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom