• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Radio On/Off

Is pressing the Mute button on the steering wheel the same as rotating the volume button all the way to zero? Do they both impact radio and navigation? Only asking as pressing mute shows the mute icon on my display but turning volume dial to zero doesn't.

Upvote 0
I know if you press the mute button when playing a tune from the memory stick, it switches it off. When you unmute, the song starts in the same place as it stopped. This cannot work with the radio for obvious reasons. So effectively muting the radio switches it off. If the radio is coming on when restarting the car, just turn the volume to nil. This is remembered, and does not effect the Sat Nav....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just turn the volume to nil. This is remembered, and does not [ a ]ffect the Sat Nav....
That's what I have to do. My partner can't stand the radio or any audio on, and I use it all the time, so when I get home, I have to switch to radio then turn the volume to zero. I'm used to it now, but what a massive user interface blunder! 😖

The mute button would be quicker, but it's not remembered on power-up! 🙄

Just think, before a fairly recent firmware update, I believe that there was no way to turn off the radio at all; even the volume button was not remembered!

Upvote 0
use a small usb stick with a single silent audio track.
That's a great solution, except that I like to listen to my own music on a USB stick. So my stick with music on it stays in the socket. I could add a track with silence, but it's more work to switch to that, and I'd have to remember where I was up to.

Upvote 0
Sure. But that also turns off the satellite navigation. My partner would not enjoy the radio blaring for those admittedly rare times that the navigation is used.
Hopefully when the MK2 comes out they add a simple on/off button or is that suggestion too late :-(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Jimpeem,
As I have commented before the M.G. interface is a miss-mash of ideas that try to do too much and don't succeed with any of the basics.
I use my phone ( Android ) for my music and Sat-Nav, they work together fine and if I use the radio I don't ask the system to do anything else. ( Just stick to the basics ).
Perhaps if they didn't try to make this vehicle something it was never going to be and kept it simple, the Tup-penny happeny chips that they use would be able to cope a lot better.
Don't me wrong for the price, I really like this vehicle; as a small SUV it ticks all the boxes except of course for the infotainment electronics which are dire.

Upvote 0
I've never had an infotainment system in a car before, how do they work in other cars?

I've just accepted that it is an infotainment system that is either on or off.

Upvote 0
That's a great solution, except that I like to listen to my own music on a USB stick. So my stick with music on it stays in the socket. I could add a track with silence, but it's more work to switch to that, and I'd have to remember where I was up to.
I've never tried this idea myself but what about a 2nd USB stick? I have no idea how the infotainment handles 2 at a time but I know you can have a stick in either.
But I know android auto need to be inserted on the right.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom