Is there a software update I can get to improve the range?

John Arnold

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen posts saying an increase in range after alterations being made. I had the comfort 2 change done and was very pleased. However no change in range. About 160. Being non technical I wondered if anyone else knew if I’m missing an update or upgrade to achieve extra miles. Any assistance gratefully received.

Hi @John Arnold The extra miles reported are a lie. If your GOM is showing 160 on full charge that is about right.

If look on your trip computer under accumulated total there will be miles/kWh. Take this number and multiply by 42.5 to give your exact range. I bet it’s around 160.

You might be missing the August Battery protection update, but if your car needs it MG will contact you. Otherwise it will be done next time your car is in workshop.

Hi @John Arnold The extra miles reported are a lie. If your GOM is showing 160 on full charge that is about right.

If look on your trip computer under accumulated total there will be miles/kWh. Take this number and multiply by 42.5 to give your exact range. I bet it’s around 160.

You might be missing the August Battery protection update, but if your car needs it MG will contact you. Otherwise it will be done next time your car is in workshop.
Many thanks.will give your idea a try. Will check with my dealer as they seem a bit lacking on information on the EV.

I have seen posts saying an increase in range after alterations being made. I had the comfort 2 change done and was very pleased. However no change in range. About 160. Being non technical I wondered if anyone else knew if I’m missing an update or upgrade to achieve extra miles. Any assistance gratefully received.
@John Arnold
Sorry some posts on this forum give the impression that the C2U causes the ZS EV to miraculously gain extra miles. Unfortunately there is on occasion quite a bit of dis-information in the comments some members make. Often such dis-information is proactively corrected by fellow members but sometimes the overall picture may still remain misleading.
Well......
MG's own information on the changes effected by C2U does not mention increase in range.
Looking through the multiple reviews that have been done on the C2U, none of the numerous I have seen mention any miraculous increase in range.
So you have nothing to worry about.

Hi @John Arnold
@John Arnold
Just to correct some comments that may be misleading.
These are the official MG range and efficiency data.
Screenshot_20200921_230338_com.android.chrome.jpg

Range 163 / efficiency 3.3
Battery size given earlier on this page is 44.5 We empirically know 42.5 kWh of battery is available for use.
I note you are being encouraged to multiple your accumulated efficiency by battery capacity to give your range.
Unfortunately this is misleading and disinformation.
As you can see from MG's own data multiplying 3.3 by 44.5 or 42.5 will never give you 163.
This is because the GOM does not work like that.
Unfortunately you will find some with a thousand and one theories about fixed GOM formulae and various multiplication and division formulae about the GOM.
Try not to worry your head about these GOM formulae. GOMs are not designed to work like that. In fact the GOM is specifically designed not to use the efficiency data from the accumulated journeys because it renders it inaccurate. I have commented at length on this issue in the past so I would not say much more other than to say the GOM is a forward looking estimator and answers the question how far you are likely to travel with the charge remaining in your battery if your current driving conditions remain unchanged. It is based solely on a specific portion of your recent travel data. It is self updating and changes as soon as your driving condition changes. So far as you understand the above and that the GOM is not trying to tell you how far you will travel "come what may", you will be OK.
Some are confused because they do not accept how the GOM is designed to work and they wish the GOM to show a fixed mileage on full charge from which they may subtract the distance they have travelled and get the GOM showing exactly the remaining no matter the driving conditions. Unfortunately electric vehicles batteries are affected by driving condition and other ciurrent factors in a non linear manner so that sort of approach is not possible.
It however does not stop those who are determined push their private multiplication formulae. They worked up their own private theory that at full charge the GOM will show a fixed mileage which is accumulated efficiency multiplied by battery capacity. Well this is not true at all.
All the GOM tells you is that you may be able to drive A or B miles if recent driving conditions prior to the full charge remains the same for your onward journey.
You will find that with good efficient driving your efficiency will easily go above 3.3 mile/kWh but may find it difficult to manage more than 163 miles on a single charge in normal driving conditions especially if your daily routine includes motorway driving.
Just watch out for those with private theories which is not backed by EV industry data, or manufacturer's guidance/data or reviewer and user summaries. These private theories tend to be almost always wrong.

Hi John,
The way I see it is that the GOM is exactly what it says - it's a guess. The amount of miles depends of hundreds of factors, temperature, KERS use, type of road, weight, wind, rain (no one talks about those last 3 but they make a difference). Around town, or short road journeys its fairly irrelevant as you can charge up regularly at home (or near home if you're in a city).

It's only really relevant on motorways where you want to get max range in one day. With regards to that, I follow what someone else suggested on here, that in summer you think of the range of 120miles ( in winter 100 miles), which gives you possibly 20/30 for emergency. Thats pretty much two hours of driving, which is generally a good time to stop.

Cheers
Nick

Sorry , but the car's range is still as stated by MG as 163 miles.
When the software update is applied the GOM and many other presets are reset to zero. The car might show extra range, but the on-board computer has to relearn your driving to show the real possible range.

The GOM on the eZS is very basic and does not relearn or adapt to anything.

My car believes it can do 206 miles on a full charge. This figure is not dynamic or adaptive.

I’ve done over 2000 miles now, and my average power consumption is 4.0 miles per kilowatt hour. I know my real range is 168 miles.

Yesterday it was out by 60 miles because I was averaging 3 mKWh on motorway. I was down to 12% after 130 miles.

The eZS is an amazing car for the money and I do love it, but it’s systems aren’t the best.

Sorry , but the car's range is still as stated by MG as 163 miles.
When the software update is applied the GOM and many other presets are reset to zero. The car might show extra range, but the on-board computer has to relearn your driving to show the real possible range.
Hi Skeeter,
You are absolutely right but one requires to drive far less than 50miles for the GOM to be in full accuracy on the very first drive of the car or after any complete discharge of the battery.
I think you are confusing the GOM with the accumulated and current data.
Current and accumulated data reset to zero but GOM never resets to zero unless your HVB is completely dead because the main dependent of GOM is charge remaining in battery.
So once there is an adequate charge in the battery the GOM will show a number.

The GOM on the eZS is very basic and does not relearn or adapt to anything.

My car believes it can do 206 miles on a full charge. This figure is not dynamic or adaptive.

I’ve done over 2000 miles now, and my average power consumption is 4.0 miles per kilowatt hour. I know my real range is 168 miles.

Yesterday it was out by 60 miles because I was averaging 3 mKWh on motorway. I was down to 12% after 130 miles.

The eZS is an amazing car for the money and I do love it, but it’s systems aren’t the best.
Hi Folks,
I beg to differ about the quality of the GOM in the ZS EV.
In my opinion it is one of the best on the market. This is the opinion also of several professional reviewers including B Nyland from Norway.
The ZS EV GOM does exactly what it is designed to do.
I will recommend to all those who feel their GOM is not working right to have it checked.
As for this simple multiplication that is persistently being pushed down our throats please forget it. The Current and Acummulated data does work on averages but the GOM is more complicated than that.
These are the official MG data:
Screenshot_20200921_230338_com.android.chrome.jpg

Just revisited this string after a few months. Had the latest BMS update done 2 weeks ago. Have been considering weather conditions and attributed my range problem to this. After the update did 2x50 mile trips. Both journeys used 100 miles of battery each way. I like others got approximately 160 from a full charge. All I can do is between 90 and 100.
Taking the car back tomorrow for another investigation. Any ideas would be helpful.

Generally I will only plan a trip of about 50 miles if I am to return with no recharge away from home. If I can recharge I can do about 100 miles each way but even that is risky due to the 80% high speed recharge. Motorways, load in the car and heating etc make a huge difference to battery usage. Up to now I have never run out of battery but have been very close. I don't try any fancy calculations or whatnot!

Great. We all have our own needs and wants. I have journeys longer than yours. The distance I needed and want are well within the predicted range. I was able to do these comfortably when first purchased and for at least a year if not longer.
I was asking the forum about their experiences and advice.
In conclusion I have been very happy with the car generally but we all need to know if things crop up during our ownership.

@John Arnold
Just to correct some comments that may be misleading.
These are the official MG range and efficiency data. View attachment 572
Range 163 / efficiency 3.3
Battery size given earlier on this page is 44.5 We empirically know 42.5 kWh of battery is available for use.
I note you are being encouraged to multiple your accumulated efficiency by battery capacity to give your range.
Unfortunately this is misleading and disinformation.
As you can see from MG's own data multiplying 3.3 by 44.5 or 42.5 will never give you 163.
This is because the GOM does not work like that.
Unfortunately you will find some with a thousand and one theories about fixed GOM formulae and various multiplication and division formulae about the GOM.
Try not to worry your head about these GOM formulae. GOMs are not designed to work like that. In fact the GOM is specifically designed not to use the efficiency data from the accumulated journeys because it renders it inaccurate. I have commented at length on this issue in the past so I would not say much more other than to say the GOM is a forward looking estimator and answers the question how far you are likely to travel with the charge remaining in your battery if your current driving conditions remain unchanged. It is based solely on a specific portion of your recent travel data. It is self updating and changes as soon as your driving condition changes. So far as you understand the above and that the GOM is not trying to tell you how far you will travel "come what may", you will be OK.
Some are confused because they do not accept how the GOM is designed to work and they wish the GOM to show a fixed mileage on full charge from which they may subtract the distance they have travelled and get the GOM showing exactly the remaining no matter the driving conditions. Unfortunately electric vehicles batteries are affected by driving condition and other ciurrent factors in a non linear manner so that sort of approach is not possible.
It however does not stop those who are determined push their private multiplication formulae. They worked up their own private theory that at full charge the GOM will show a fixed mileage which is accumulated efficiency multiplied by battery capacity. Well this is not true at all.
All the GOM tells you is that you may be able to drive A or B miles if recent driving conditions prior to the full charge remains the same for your onward journey.
You will find that with good efficient driving your efficiency will easily go above 3.3 mile/kWh but may find it difficult to manage more than 163 miles on a single charge in normal driving conditions especially if your daily routine includes motorway driving.
Just watch out for those with private theories which is not backed by EV industry data, or manufacturer's guidance/data or reviewer and user summaries. These private theories tend to be almost always wrong.
What is GOM?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom