• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Rapid chargers causing faults on ZS EV

Striker

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I've read a number of comments on rapid chargers causing faults on ZS's, these couldn't be cleared, by either waiting, battery disconnection or even AA fault reset

I'm soon to be collecting my face lift ZS LR Trophy and I'm a little concerned

My question's are
Has it been determined which MG models and firmware's are affected?

Is a particular brand of rapid charger that is causing the problem?

I read that this can be avoided if you don't let your battery go below a certain level (30%?) Is this true?

I don't want to be paranoid, but it would be good to know if there any simple steps that I can take to improve my chances!

Last edited:
I don’t normally use Rapid Chargers. However, I recently did a very long trip that required using Rapid Chargers. I used:

1 x GridServe 150kW
2 x Ionity 350kW
1 x Charge Place Scotland 60kW
1 x MFG 150kW
2 x BP Pulse 150kW

All worked with no issues. Charging on the 150kW+ chargers was super quick with over 90kW being reached.

The SOC was around 20% on arrival and around 80% on leaving.

I arrive at a charger. Power the car off. Open the charger flap. I then sort out the charger and plug it in and start charging. Lock the car and wander off and get a coffee.

When returning to the car I would normally press the start button twice and stop the charging using the screen in the car. I then power off the car again and remove the charger and close the charger flap on the car (I did forget to close it once when someone came by and asked some questions about the car).

As such, I have not experienced any issues with Rapid Charging the ZS EV.

I've yet to use a rapid with my Standard Range so am a bit anxious about this issue when I finally have to. I think I'll follow the process that @MichaelJHunt followed when I finally have to!

We have an original ZS and never yet had a problem with normal rapid or fast chargers that were not caused by my own haste (doing things in the wrong order mainly).

The only charger network that caused me to pull my hair was Tesla destination chargers which always seemed to be a lottery as to whether it would work or not.

When returning to the car I would normally press the start button twice and stop the charging using the screen in the car. I then power off the car again and remove the charger
This seems very complicated. Unlock car, stop charge on charger, (either order works) unplug cable.

Not sure why the procedure seems to have become so convoluted from the original car

This seems very complicated. Unlock car, stop charge on charger, (either order works) unplug cable.

Not sure why the procedure seems to have become so convoluted from the original car
I just do what I see as the sensible way and have never experienced a problem. I doubt I would change my method as it works. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it :)

By using the screen in the car to end the charge procedure, at least I know the car goes through the process it wants to go through to end the charge.

We have an original ZS and never yet had a problem with normal rapid or fast chargers that were not caused by my own haste (doing things in the wrong order mainly).

The only charger network that caused me to pull my hair was Tesla destination chargers which always seemed to be a lottery as to whether it would work or not.
Some Tesla Destination Chargers will only work with Tesla cars.

On my trophy the stop charging screen in the car is only active when the car is in ready mode and a message comes on the screen to that effect i.e. I have to turn the car on with the foot brake activate gain access to the battery management screen. Is this different on your car?

The dealer was also not aware of any issues when we collected the car.
That does not surprise me really, with some dealers.
“Left hand / Right hand” comes to mind.
How many of them knew how to get the inbuilt SatNav to work correctly on the face lift models ?.
Enough said !.

On my trophy the stop charging screen in the car is only active when the car is in ready mode and a message comes on the screen to that effect i.e. I have to turn the car on with the foot brake activate gain access to the battery management screen. Is this different on your car?

My 2022 LR also says this if i only press the power 1 time.

I usually pop my head into the cabin, press the start button twice so that the green LED comes on, and then after a little while it will let me stop the charge.

Would have preferred a "stop charging" button next to the charge port, instead of the rather useless 4 LED charge status.

Just press the start button twice without foot on brake and the screen will allow battery charging control, but will not enter “Ready” mode.

Then anyone could come along and stop your charge 😉
Yeah, hadn't thought of that one.

But it would still be nice to have some way, other than double pressing the start button and waiting 20 seconds for the screen to finish booting up, and showing the "stop charging" button

Maybe a physical button inside the car to stop the charging would be a nice compromise :)

Thanks for all of the great comments, I’m keen to hear from anyone who has had the problem, to find out which car and which charger

From what I can make out, it may be on ZS facelift, but only the early ones that were shipped as demos, though I’m sure I read someone had a problem on a late gen 1? Maybe they share the same firmware?

There’s some good advice here on how to stop the charge from the care 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom