• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

RE: Buying MK1 Exclusive

hotcfdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a MG ZS EV. However I can't decide if I should get a MK1 Exclusive or a MK2 Trophy.

I have test drove both and I couldn't really notice much different between the two cars. I will be using apple car play all of the time so I'm not really worried about the entertainment system. The big difference is the price.

A good quality used MK1 - Black or White Exclusive £23 - 25k or a Demonstrator Trophy MK2 £31k

The monthly payments are quite different between the two but still works out cheaper than my Merc and will be lower yearly running costs.

As owners what would you advise - Buy a MK1 and keep for a few years then sell and get a MK2 when more are available? Or spend more on a MK2 now.

Many thanks,

Hi,
What about the extra range you will get on the MK2 and the gadgets?

Thanks for your reply.

Extra range is 50ish miles on a standard Trophy. My daily commune is 30 miles a day so should have plenty in the battery for other trips. Drive to in- laws is around 100 miles so would need to charge when arriving.

Do you mean the app? Yes, I find that annoying on the MK1 there is no app a real downside to the car, however for the price and monthly payments I could just get over it.

Also think of resale value

Well Exclusive ZS EV seem to be well over retail at the moment but could change in 2 years.

Are there many MK1 drivers in this forum?

Thanks

I was thinking if the rumours of mk3 and the 2's are starting to show up how long is the 2nd hand ev markets going to stay high say if the government do a 5k grant the MG4 will only be 20k

I was thinking if the rumours of mk3 and the 2's are starting to show up how long is the 2nd hand ev markets going to stay high say if the government do a 5k grant the MG4 will only be 20k

MK3 - Blimey, have MG shipped all MK2 orders.

I understand your point though, interesting to reflect on. MG4 not suitable for me and my family.

What do you own MK1 or MK2?

Thanks

We looked at a new MK2 , Nissan Ariya and loads of 1 year old various models. Having sold our Range rover, we were looking at cars with all the gadgets & comforts. But then decided on a year old Mk1, the couple of times a year a longer range car would be handy wasn't worth the extra £1000s it would have cost, at the end of the day the MG is no range rover, but its comfortable enough, has a few toys, I enjoy driving it and it suites our needs. Our main criteria was to be able to get enough luggage in the boot and be able to do the 120 mile round trip to the airport , which the MK1 can do with 30+ miles to spare (maybe a bit tight in the winter months ). We will keep it for a year or 2 then maybe think about a newer model, but again would buy used, let someone else take the hit of driving it new off the forecourt. Our motoring bill has been cut by thousands when you add up fuel (now use solar power), road tax (none), parts & servicing (way cheaper). Overall , really happy with our mk1.

Thanks for your reply.

Extra range is 50ish miles on a standard Trophy. My daily commune is 30 miles a day so should have plenty in the battery for other trips. Drive to in- laws is around 100 miles so would need to charge when arriving.

Do you mean the app? Yes, I find that annoying on the MK1 there is no app a real downside to the car, however for the price and monthly payments I could just get over it.

Well Exclusive ZS EV seem to be well over retail at the moment but could change in 2 years.

Are there many MK1 drivers in this forum?

Thanks
Well in my opinion the Mk 1 is a fine car, just make sure that all the software is up to date and go for it. I don't think an App is essential, I've been driving for 56 years and never had, or wanted, an app!

Dave

I've just sold my Mk1 ZS Exclusive at 34,000 miles, Jan 2020 registration to Cazoo for £20475. It's probably the most enjoyable car that I have owned. Android Auto transforms it. Why have I sold - to buy a ZS LR Trophy hopefully arriving this week.
I sold the Mk1 due to its limited range. Half my mileage is on trip of 300-500 miles and my MIL lives 210 miles away. My wife would not take the Mk1 to see her mother because of having to public charge in both directions. With the Mk2, she can now go on her own and charge up using the Granny for 25hrs - no more charging on route.
So, it all depends on your anticipated driving. Without the long trips and 210 miles to the MIL, I would still be driving the MK1. It's a great car.

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a MG ZS EV. However I can't decide if I should get a MK1 Exclusive or a MK2 Trophy.

I have test drove both and I couldn't really notice much different between the two cars. I will be using apple car play all of the time so I'm not really worried about the entertainment system. The big difference is the price.

A good quality used MK1 - Black or White Exclusive £23 - 25k or a Demonstrator Trophy MK2 £31k

The monthly payments are quite different between the two but still works out cheaper than my Merc and will be lower yearly running costs.

As owners what would you advise - Buy a MK1 and keep for a few years then sell and get a MK2 when more are available? Or spend more on a MK2 now.

Many thanks,
The only thing the mark one other when battery really warm is slower charging than mark two and the there is no switchable battery warming on it.
Mark 1 had two years and loved the car but now have long range trophy connect

I have the Mk1.
Your usage scenario fits the bill perfectly for the Mk1, so if you don't want to pay the extra £6k or £7k for the luxury of having an app and a few extra miles range, I'd go for the Mk 1.
The Mk1 is also the better looking one ;) :giggle:

That's a shame, I drive a 71plate MK1 Excite and really love it, the only regret I have that it doesn't have a reversing camera
I have the Exclusive, two reasons I got the Exclusive above the excite was the reversing camera and the rear cross traffic alert. TBH, I would have preferred not to have roof bars and the fake leather seats and wouldn't really miss the sunroof. The rear cross traffic alert is a must IMO, because of the charging port being at the front, we have to park nose in to charge and reverse out.

I have the Exclusive, two reasons I got the Exclusive above the excite was the reversing camera and the rear cross traffic alert. TBH, I would have preferred not to have roof bars and the fake leather seats and wouldn't really miss the sunroof. The rear cross traffic alert is a must IMO, because of the charging port being at the front, we have to park nose in to charge and reverse out.
I agree, the roof bars are an added expense you could do well without and the sunroof in my experience is sometimes a source of leaks

I agree, the roof bars are an added expense you could do well without and the sunroof in my experience is sometimes a source of leaks
Touch wood, I've not had any problems with the sunroof so far, maybe because I don't use it much, but the roof rails act as a perch for birds that crap all over the roof as they take off and make it awkward to reach to clean the crap off without standing on a step ladder.

We owned a Mk1 Exclusive for just over a year and replaced it with an MG5 Exclusive LR. We collected our new Mk2 Trophy LR on the 1st September, which replaced a Hyundai Ioniq Electric, so we now own a ZS and MG5. I'd say the Trophy LR feels better built, better finished and a more solid car than the Mk1, not that we had any issues with the Mk1, we really liked it and that's why we stayed with MG. We think the Trophy LR drives a bit better too, which coupled with the better range and better tech made it a no-brainer when replacing the Ioniq. I'd say the MG5 drives the best of the three MG's we've owned so far but I am hoping the MG4 will be a step up again, which appears to be what the reviews are indicating. My advice would be to go with the Trophy. You might not need the longer range but you won't charge as frequently and on longer journeys you will have a higher proportion of cheaper home charging versus more expensive rapid charging, which will result in lower running costs per trip.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom