Re ZS Trophy LR weekend loan

Harry 17

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Apologies first, not sure which thread to hoy this in, so started a new one :)

I have been fortunate enough to borrow my dealers ZS TLR this weekend (as I await for gawd knows how long for the car I have ordered to arrive).

The purpose of this is to get a handle on range, how it will fair for my site work (local highways officer) with a combination of 50 miles round trip on the motorway and approx 40 miles town / village driving.

Having recently had a Zappi home charger unit fitted, not even sure if it works yet, so got to get to grips with that … any top tips very welcome. :)

My query is, in the hope you can assist, is being new to EV (current car Toyota CHR Hybrid) could you lads and lasses point out any certain things I should concentrate on whilst I have the vehicle for 3 days?

any further top tips which I could utilise to get the best out of this experience and anything to consider trying, and also to address any regular quirks the car may throw at me?

A lot of stuff has already been addressed on here in various threads. So guess I am just asking for a snap - shot of some main pointers to look out for.

Thank you in advance.

Great to have the car for three days.
I would suggest using a few different rapids to see what charge rate you can get and at what percentage it drops off.
Check out the on board timer for charging to see if that is easthan setting the Zappi.
Do you have solar and a battery?

Great to have the car for three days.
I would suggest using a few different rapids to see what charge rate you can get and at what percentage it drops off.
Check out the on board timer for charging to see if that is easthan setting the Zappi.
Do you have solar and a battery?
Thanks. No solar or battery at present (should have said that). The reason I got the Zappi was to future proof me for when I can afford to have Solar and Battery installed.

Those distances should be no problem for the long range trophy. If this is your first EV, I would do a few long-ish journeys to see how the estimated range matches up to actual. This is a great way to eliminate any range anxiety and develop a healthy range awareness. Also, try out all the toys as some of the driver assistance features can be a bit quirky until you get used to them. :)

I would just forget its an EV and try to do your usual journeys and see how it fits in. If you already have a zappi, then charge it as required overnight at home. In nearly 4 years owning an EV i have only charged them once away from home.
If you can charge at work even better.
Dont worry about range anxiety, it disapears once you realise you can charge whilst you sleep.
Even after 4 years driving an EV still brings a smile to my face, whether its leaving all the boy racers behind at the lights or effortlessly gliding along the highway...or driving past the petrol stations.

I would suggest using a few different rapids to see what charge rate you can get and at what percentage it drops
By trying to maximise the three day test drive you have been kindly offered, I would avoid ( if possible ) using an rapid charger, to be honest.
Given issues some cars have encountered when using a rapid, I would stay well clear.
If the car “Bricks” on day one, there is your three day test drive up in smoke and an angry 😠 dealer, if there car gets stranded !.

By trying to maximise the three day test drive you have been kindly offered, I would avoid ( if possible ) using an rapid charger, to be honest.
Given issues some cars have encountered when using a rapid, I would stay well clear.
If the car “Bricks” on day one, there is your three day test drive up in smoke and an angry 😠 dealer, if there car gets stranded !.
That is a good point. Thank you.

My query is, in the hope you can assist, is being new to EV (current car Toyota CHR Hybrid) could you lads and lasses point out any certain things I should concentrate on whilst I have the vehicle for 3 days?
I think you I’ll find that the ZS EV LR will suit your needs just fine !.
A family friend had the Toyota CHR from new until recently, when he sold it after about 2 years.
His wife was constantly catching the side of her head, when entering the car.
The “A” pilar is very steep and low.
People who travelled in the rear of the car, complained that it felt very dark and claustrophobic.
The glass area is very small and the roof line drops away very quickly, leaving not a lot of head room for tall adults.
The ZS will feel much roomer and a lot lighter inside if it has the sun roof !.
The ride hight is taller on the ZS EV also.
Non of that engine cutting in and out all of the time either.
After you have used it for three days, you will more willing to wait out your delivery for the ZS EV I will promise you !.
My first introduction into electric driving, was when a bought a VW Golf PHEV in 2015.
Went full BEV in 2019 with the Gen1 ZS EV and never wanted to go back.
Upgraded to the Gen 2 ZS EV LR in March of this year ( 22 ).
Big improvement on the Gen 1 model in a lot of ways.
Enjoy your three days but you will hate having to give it back :cry:.

I think you I’ll find that the ZS EV LR will suit your needs just fine !.
A family friend had the Toyota CHR from new until recently, when he sold it after about 2 years.
His wife was constantly catching the side of her head, when entering the car.
The “A” pilar is very steep and low.
People who travelled in the rear of the car, complained that it felt very dark and claustrophobic.
The glass area is very small and the roof line drops away very quickly, leaving not a lot of head room for tall adults.
The ZS will feel much roomer and a lot lighter inside if it has the sun roof !.
The ride hight is taller on the ZS EV also.
Non of that engine cutting in and out all of the time either.
After you have used it for three days, you will more willing to wait out your delivery for the ZS EV I will promise you !.
My first introduction into electric driving, was when a bought a VW Golf PHEV in 2015.
Went full BEV in 2019 with the Gen1 ZS EV and never wanted to go back.
Upgraded to the Gen 2 ZS EV LR in March of this year ( 22 ).
Big improvement on the Gen 1 model in a lot of ways.
Enjoy your three days but you will hate having to give it back :cry:.
Hate giving it back is My hope. And thanks for your comments.

Overall I have really enjoyed driving the CH-R, had from new for two and a half years now. I do agree with your comments above though, and to add….. I have Tw@@ted me head several times on the latch on the tailgate, and it is quite possibly the most sluggish car I have ever owned (and my second car was an avenger! Lol). If the speed pick was as loud as the engine revs, it would be like a rocket!

Hate giving it back is My hope. And thanks for your comments.

Overall I have really enjoyed driving the CH-R, had from new for two and a half years now. I do agree with your comments above though, and to add….. I have Tw@@ted me head several times on the latch on the tailgate, and it is quite possibly the most sluggish car I have ever owned (and my second car was an avenger! Lol). If the speed pick was as loud as the engine revs, it would be like a rocket!
Let us know how it all goes - Yeah ?.
You will not find the ZS EV sluggish 🐌.

My mk1 with the 42kW battery would eat 90 miles a day even in the cold winter. You should be able to see the m/kWh in the instruments. What you will find is that it is depressingly low from a cold start and improves once the battery warms up. Not an issue at this time of the year, but in winter the first 10 miles would appear to eat range. Speed has a massive effect on range. The difference in range between 65 and 70 mph is significant. Otherwise, having had similar driving jobs before I retired the car should be perfect.

The issue any one has is the unexpected journey or long detour so it is well worth looking at Zap-Map for chargers in your area. Because they don’t usually have big signs like petrol stations you might find there are many more than you imagined. Good luck!

My mk1 with the 42kW battery would eat 90 miles a day even in the cold winter. You should be able to see the m/kWh in the instruments. What you will find is that it is depressingly low from a cold start and improves once the battery warms up. Not an issue at this time of the year, but in winter the first 10 miles would appear to eat range. Speed has a massive effect on range. The difference in range between 65 and 70 mph is significant. Otherwise, having had similar driving jobs before I retired the car should be perfect.

The issue any one has is the unexpected journey or long detour so it is well worth looking at Zap-Map for chargers in your area. Because they don’t usually have big signs like petrol stations you might find there are many more than you imagined. Good luck!
Some top advice there Brian. Thanks.

This place is a great source of information, help, advice and at times, very entertaining too! 😁

being a ”thicko” is there any merit in having the car switch on (maybe set the cabin to around 20 degrees, if possible) ten minutes before the journey in the hope of the vehicle warming up the battery to optimum temp? Or am I talking ”billy Bollax”?

When you are playing with the toys don’t forget that you have to do a double pull on the lower left stick to enable all the MG Pilot features while driving.

Have a play with the Lane Keep Assist settings, then turn it off and forget it :)

Make sure you turn on Traffic Jam Assist. This gives you lane centred driving and car following at low speeds, including coming to a stop - you need the double pull to enable this.

Great advise from the others on testing with a long trip and using a Rapid charger. Try going somewhere like the Rugby Services on the M6 to get an idea of what Rapid Charging is really going to be like in the future.

Give some friends a ride as well.

Drive it and enjoy it. They are fantastic cars.

When you are playing with the toys don’t forget that you have to do a double pull on the lower left stick to enable all the MG Pilot features while driving.

Have a play with the Lane Keep Assist settings, then turn it off and forget it :)

Make sure you turn on Traffic Jam Assist. This gives you lane centred driving and car following at low speeds, including coming to a stop - you need the double pull to enable this.

Great advise from the others on testing with a long trip and using a Rapid charger. Try going somewhere like the Rugby Services on the M6 to get an idea of what Rapid Charging is really going to be like in the future.

Give some friends a ride as well.

Drive it and enjoy it. They are fantastic cars.
Cheers Mike 🍺. Think i am going to sit down on Friday night with an old school pen and A1 notepad and write down a few bullet points from this thread (which in fairness, i was hoping to do anyway 😁).

For long trips I use ABRP (A Better Route Planner) and set the minimum chargers at a site to 3, with charger type set to CCS only.

Another good app for long trips is EVNavigation.

Most Rapid Chargers now use Credit/Debit Card for payment, so you should be okay. Probably stay away from Ionity for now as you have to register and sometimes use their app.

Good apps to have also include WattsUp and ZapMap, both will point you to your nearest charger if you get low on power.

Don’t get into a panic if you charger level falls to 20%, you still have a good range and there will always be a Rapid Charger within range.

being a ”thicko” is there any merit in having the car switch on (maybe set the cabin to around 20 degrees, if possible) ten minutes before the journey in the hope of the vehicle warming up the battery to optimum temp? Or am I talking ”billy Bollax”?
Would not even bother to be honest.
Just keep it really simple................ Just charge and go !.
Don't over complicate or both over think the job.
Some times, less is more.
You need time to both enjoy and absorb the car, over packing the experience with loads of tasks, will leave you feeling like :- "What the hell just happened there then ?".
Only after a couple of days of use, I am pretty sure you will come to the conclusion that you have picked the right car, that will suit your needs and requirements.
You are extremely lucky to find a dealer who is willing to give you a car over the weekend !.
A 10 minute spin down the road is the usual "so called" test drive.
When I first test drove the new Demo Gen2 ZS EV LR at my local dealer - I was missing for about 45 minutes, on my return the dealer they asked me :- "Did you get lost ?".
There way of saying that I had been gone for to long !.
It totally discarded their sarcastic comment to be honest.

Hi Harry17, I’m not a ZS driver I have the MG5 SR so I’m not, going to try and advise you about all the toys the New ZS has onboard.
if it where me in you shoes I would just drive it and forget about all the tech stuff for now do your journeys and get used to the car before you start turning things on and off, with regard to the Zappi best charger on the market in my book, I’ve had mine about 2 years now and I do have solar but no batteries as yet.
The Zappi does what it stays on the tin, so after your journey just plug it in set it to fast on the unit or its app, lock the car and forget about it next morning unlock the car and pull the plug out immediately, as after a very short time the car will lock itself again and you perhaps won’t be able to pull out the plug until you unlock the car again, then once unpluged set the Zappi to stop which is the off setting as well if your Zappi is not tethered type and you have to use a type 2 cable out of the car with it don’t forget to take the cable with you in case you need it but for 90 miles you won’t.
So Harry Good luck, enjoy I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with the MG ho and by the way welcome to the forum.
Les

Would not even bother to be honest.
Just keep it really simple................ Just charge and go !.
Don't over complicate or both over think the job.
Some times, less is more.
You need time to both enjoy and absorb the car, over packing the experience with loads of tasks, will leave you feeling like :- "What the hell just happened there then ?".
Only after a couple of days of use, I am pretty sure you will come to the conclusion that you have picked the right car, that will suit your needs and requirements.
You are extremely lucky to find a dealer who is willing to give you a car over the weekend !.
A 10 minute spin down the road is the usual "so called" test drive.
When I first test drove the new Demo Gen2 ZS EV LR at my local dealer - I was missing for about 45 minutes, on my return the dealer they asked me :- "Did you get lost ?".
There way of saying that I had been gone for to long !.
It totally discarded their sarcastic comment to be honest.
Thanks.

Re: weekend loan, I knew the dealer was closed on a Sunday, so I thought I would be a bit cheeky. I called him and asked if there was anything they could offer whereas I could pick the car up on a Saturday morning around 11:00hrs and keep the car til I finished work on Monday afternoon. After some thought he said “I don’t see why not”, so I was quite surprised myself that they afforded me this. he did say they had two demonstrators, so as long as I got the car back early Monday PM, then all would be good. I believe their other demonstrator is a TSR.

Needless it say, I am very impressed with the dealer. So far (delivery of TLR notwithstanding) they have been exemplary.

Some top advice there Brian. Thanks.

This place is a great source of information, help, advice and at times, very entertaining too! 😁

Others have said it, not worth the hassle. You will be charging to 80% as a rule I believe, which gives a range of 200 miles which in winter might be 160. If the weather is really bad you will be driving slower so that will compensate for poorer battery performance. It is all to do with internal resistance, the cold battery has to overcome that and heats itself using power. That is not the same as the battery heater which I believe is programmed to operate at very low temperatures nor the pre heat I believe you have to speed rapid charging. That latter feature might be a big bonus, it is not on the Mk 1 so we suffer with slow rapid charging on cold days.
With your work you will get to know where your chargers are in your patch and find that if you do need to charge you should be able to do it whilst taking a comfort break anyway. Remember getting home with an empty battery is a success with an EV, you have your own filling station! It is a different way of looking at running a car but itvain’t rocket science. For long journeys I favour Watts Up app which gives chargers off piste too and therefore options for better charging experience, pubs and cafes etc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom