Ready Mode while Charging ?

FrenchGuillaume

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I read a post in Facebook MG EV owners that you can put on ready Mode while Charging and listening radio while charging and avoiding that it switches off after 10 minutes but when I read the manual it says that you shouldn't put your car on Ready Mode while Charging, does somebody know more about it?
Thanks

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1629755582405.jpg
    FB_IMG_1629755582405.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 180
I read a post in Facebook MG EV owners that you can put on ready Mode while Charging and listening radio while charging and avoiding that it switches off after 10 minutes but when I read the manual it says that you shouldn't put your car on Ready Mode while Charging, does somebody know more about it?
Thanks
I have been putting EV's into Ready Mode forever, you just get a warning that you are plugged in and the steering won't work, locks all traction controls.

As a precaution I always make sure car is powered off when connecting or disconnecting. I never put it in ready. You can see the power usage of things like heating when you use the steering wheel buttons to cycle through the displays.

Thanks
This maybe of interest ?.

The manual contradicts itself sometimes. IIRC it says it should be off when charging then somewhere else it says turn it on to check the charging status. :sneaky:

Why are people not getting the message? There are three modes.
Foot off brake press start button once.
Foot off brake press start button twice. Can use aircon and infotainment but can't select gear and drive off.
Foot on brake and press start button to put in ready to drive mode.

Foot off brake press start button twice. Can use aircon and infotainment but can't select gear and drive off.
The problem is (IIRC) the second one can flatten the 12v and some use this instead of the third one.

I have been putting EV's into Ready Mode forever, you just get a warning that you are plugged in and the steering won't work, locks all traction controls.
Can you do this on a DC rapid charger?

What does the foot off brake press start button once do?

One press foot off pedal turns on infotainment only.
Two presses foot pedal turns on infotainment, dash an air con running off 12 volt battery. If you are sat in this modd you need to keep an eye on state if charge as if it drops too low the car won't start.
One press with foot pedal pressed puts car in drive mode and engages HV battery.

Two presses foot pedal turns on infotainment, dash an air con running off 12 volt battery. If you are sat in this modd you need to keep an eye on state if charge as if it drops too low the car won't start.
but we are talking about whilst charging here, right? So the HV battery must be connected otherwise how is it going to charge?

just tried this on my 5LR (on the granny). Looking at the electric info display, flicking on the Aircon just reduces the amps going into the HV battery, so I assume from this that the charger is now also providing the 12v for the Aircon and therefore not draining the 12v battery.
In another experiment though unlocking the car to get in on the ecotricity CCS at IKEA after starting the charge caused the charge to end. I had to get back out, unplug and replug to start it again. Pretty sure it also had to be locked to start but can’t guarantee that. It does stand to reason though that the rules may be a bit tighter for high power rapid chargers.

It seems a double press without your foot on the brake is fine if you're already charging, but can rapidly drain the 12v battery if you're not charging (or if charging stops for any reason) so be careful.

Press the start button twice without touching the brake pedal. Allows you to use infotainment etc when charging but doesn't put the car in ready to drive mode.
This is not ready mode but accessory mode with displays and radio, turns off after 15 mins and does not charge 12V battery.

One press foot off pedal turns on infotainment only.
One press with foot pedal pressed puts car in drive mode and engages HV battery.
Does not engage HV battery but does charge 12V battery and locks out steering and traction controls.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom