Real world range on the standard range MG5

BillyWhizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Had my MG5 almost a year now and very happy with it I have only once drove the car out of its battery range I was looking at the Hyundai Ioniq it states it’s range is 193 miles but the car is supposed to be very efficient so I was wondering would the range of the Hyundai be equivalent to that of the Mg5 even though the mg states 217 miles but it’s not has efficient as the Hyundai hope this makes sense P.S
What is the most you have gotten out of a full charge on your MG5 standard range

After a year and 23k miles the definition my real world range is....
summer - 180 miles
winter - 150 miles
as far as efficiency is concerned it very much depends on the right foot of the driver, which is naturally connected to the brain. I don’t like driving under 70mph when the roads allow therefore my car would be less efficient than another 5 owner. I do sometimes need to charge with a “get me home” charge from a public charger. In answer to your question, the most I have got from a full charge was 170 mile journey in the summer with 28 miles left on the GOM. 😊

Agree with around 180-190 summer and 150-160 winter. Normal driving with heater/climate on.

I have done over 200 with air con off towards the latter of the journey during the summer months.

Agree with those above. I plan for 175 summer and 120 winter. I have to say I drive at the speed limit mostly and always have heating, heated seats, AC, radio etc on as required. I find "summer" figures are good down to around 10c below 6c seems to have an expediential impact as the temp drops. Bonus last few morning is the rapid defrost as you don't have to wait for ICE warm up had a few neighbours surprised to see me drive off all clear while they are still scraping:) (y)

Yes winter I would say my MG5 does 150 driving it like myself and Stu does. Maybe 170 being really eco friendly and slow driving.

Summer I would agree with 180 with normal driving. I have had a possibility of getting say 230 mile range in the summer going at 65mph in nice weather with no wind, but that doesn't happen often.

Hi billy and Stuart and everyone here, well I look at it this way a lot depends on how far you want to push it, I don’t like to get below 20% if I can avoid it having said that couple of times in my 9 months of ownership of the 5 I have had to, I think on the the whole I agree with Stuart’s figures but I don’t drive as fast as he does like to stay in the 62 to 65mph range so maybe get a little more efficiency than he does.

During the summer of 2021 I went to a wedding in South Wales and in very favourable conditions I did manage over 210 miles and ended up with 12% left I think it was but as I said conditions 22 degrees only about 10-15 miles of motorway driving average around 50 mph. I travel down to south London several times a year to visit Family and that’s around a 225 mile trip and I normally stop about half way and top up at rugby Gridserve both going there and on my return. Try to set off full charged and get to rugby with around 46-55% take it back up to 80-85 % on a rapid at rugby and arrive with mid 30- low 40% that journey is 90% motorway driving.
Big difference in summer and winter figures as we know with using the heater more etc tomorrow I will be doing around a 285 mile trip fully loaded (load to can make a difference) so I will monitor it and post an update,
Love the car best move I have made to go EV never go back to ice or even hybrid if I can avoid it
Les

EDIT EDIT EDIT.

Hi again so I said the other day I had to do a long trip this week and would monitor it, so this was yesterday 18/01/22 travelling from Abbott’s Langley Hertfordshire to ( Lee ) in SE London and then back north to Wigan well here’s how it went.

Started off with a full charge 100% 207 miles.

DF4A1254-562A-4E9A-AE13-A1907490927B.jpeg

Then drove to my sons home in Lee south east London, 49.3 miles away to deliver Christmas presents that they had not had because,they where to be coming home for Xmas until they got hit by Covid19 a few days before It, and are just about getting over it thank goodness, now arrived there with

77% battery left 156 miles on the Gom.

F923691D-B351-478A-9ABD-2874E59C2C41.jpeg

Put the car on charge there for a hour and half or so to top back up to 96% 194 miles to set off home to wigan around another 225 miles, but no problems in that, as Gridserve at Rugby was around 115 miles away just about half way, I have done this same journey several times since having my 5 and have been stopping at the same chargers at rugby since the week it was opened never an issue with it.

E9287EC0-4DC2-4774-B3A1-668D2690662C.jpeg

So off we set all good then disaster struck, as on arrival at Rugby I could see about 5/6 chargers had a barrier across then but there are 12 here so we will be ok I thought, several other EV owners where trying to get a charge but where unable to, as none of the units would let you pay by card or by the app by now I’m down to 35% 72 miles left.

A78094BF-2524-4B52-B80F-3BAA3EB0886C.jpeg

So after trying to contact Gridserve as others there where also trying to as well, I checked on Zap-Maps and found there around 4/5 hours earlier it reported all chargers out of use not accepting payment sh-t, but I also noticed something else on Zap-Maps the price has changed again I remember Michael Fisher had posted the week before on the forum prices had gone from 30p-39p at Gridserve but now on Zap-Map it quotes prices as being 45p on these chargers at rugby as they are up to 350 kw and on checking this morning a couple are still out of use.

IMG_0697.png

Now I’m not getting at Gridserve in any way at all they are doing a great job on the whole, but one of the guys there trying to get a charge said to me, it could be because of the price change, I’m not sure about that but I hope not as I’m sure three are more increases to come shortly due to the electricity prices sky rocketing.

Anyhow not too worried as I knew at Corley service’s about 12 miles further north on the M6, there was the good old Instavolts, 8 off them there to use even at 45p but had to use that station to get some or enough KWs to get me home on arrival there now down to 28% 61 miles.

0874DB81-8329-41D0-9B66-8B2589CA2C32.jpeg

Six where in used on arrival so I plug in to a 50kw pump and then see my charge rate is 27.6 kw !!?

12F2D9C3-E9C4-4FA3-ADC7-BFABD84A270D.jpeg

Will it will go up I’m pretty sure it will so went off to the toilet and to grab a bite to eat on return had the rate gone up well no not really now been charging 35 minutes and only up to 59% by this time all units where now being Used

59F73CF7-BFA7-4F4E-B799-5C5984F5CF6F.jpeg

Check the charge rate on the pump still only at 28.8% so had a look at some of the other pumps and all where in the mid 40s kw so don’t know if it was the pump I’m on, my car, the weather or what else could it be ? Anyhow I could see a couple waiting so I decided to pull off at 61% which after I plugged out now showed 118 miles with around 105 to go very strange as you can see in the photo above at 59% the car said 125 miles but of course at that time the heater was off forgot about that now back on its 118 miles.

So still should be ok and set off to give others the chance to charge knowing Gridserve was down

23ADAAFF-4C79-4EEC-83FF-A2BE298917C1.jpeg

So as I have said my times in the past I don’t like to get below about 20% remaining if I can help it, got up to Stafford thinking put a bit more in there but all pumps being used and others one waiting so kept going Keele is next but only one here and guess what in use, and the man had only just plugged in,so onwards we went thinking oh well we will just about make it with maybe 10% left, by this time it has gone a lot lot colder and it starting to rain so had to keep the heater running quite high suddenly from around 22% I quickly found the car on 14% and still some way to go, then I hit a long stretch of a 50mph area up to now been driving with the cruise control set at 63 mph as soon has I hit the motorways coming out of London, with the odd spell a bit faster when overtaking others,so now having to slowdown to 50 helped us get home, at around 9/8 miles remaining the battery symbol started flashing and then at 6/5 miles the GOM went - - - at this point I remembered Stuart Whitman’s post of 3%, well Stu I’m in there with you now as that’s what I had when I pulled on my driveway at home along with a Squeaky Bum !.

F5F7EC9D-C461-409A-9B89-6B5D0EC2D5E8.jpeg

So in total 276 miles covered started at 100% let’s say 48 kw usable of that plus around 10 kw added at my sons house, then another 18kw at instavolt Corley

Sorry will now have to continue in a new tread lower down as this section is full so see below #16
Les

Last edited:
I average during winter 3.1 miles per KW hr given mg5 sr battery capacity is 52.5 KW that would give me a Maximum162.75 miles. I would say actual miles is nearer to 150, I have had as little as 134 miles when driving at 70mph on motorway. Roll on summer!

I average during winter 3.1 miles per KW hr given mg5 sr battery capacity is 52.5 KW that would give me a Maximum162.75 miles. I would say actual miles is nearer to 150, I have had as little as 134 miles when driving at 70mph on motorway. Roll on summer!
Remember the usable battery is 48.8Kw not 52.5. So 150 mile range would be correct.

I think the range is different if you're driving to an unknown rapid vs driving home. I'm quite relaxed about arriving home with only a few % left as the risks are much lower (guaranteed charge and shorter walk if you get it wrong). I'm much more conservative if I'm driving to a rapid!

I think the range is different if you're driving to an unknown rapid vs driving home. I'm quite relaxed about arriving home with only a few % left as the risks are much lower (guaranteed charge and shorter walk if you get it wrong). I'm much more conservative if I'm driving to a rapid!
Completely agree, I know where I can

I’ve had my MG5 SR since the end of October so not had the chance to see how it does in warmer weather, but I’m getting 180-200 miles (if my maths is right). I’ve only done 650 miles, never gone below 25% and mostly do short trips like school run and weekly shopping. I do an 80 mile round trip once a month and that uses around 40% at a steady 50mph (that’s the speed limit) - so 80+80 miles would = 80% for 160 miles and then 20% would be around 40miles, giving total of 200 miles. That said I wouldn’t trust it to get more than 160 miles to a charge, but I still have bad range anxiety!!!

I’ve just completed a round trip of 232miles , started with 97 % and arrived on 17 %. Rapid charge to 93% and ended at home with 17%. So as I see it I have used 156% to do 232miles. This was fast motorway most of the way at 80 mph. I was in Eco setting with KERS 3.
the first photograph shows the trip record for the journey averaging 2.8 mile per KWHr, travelling at lower speeds I have been averaging 3.1.
I took the second photo 6 minutes later as I had been stationary on the phone with the car still turned on and heater on.
So on the left the % had changed from 98 to 97 but what caught my eye was the guess o meter had gone up by twenty miles from 186 to 206 miles. I will be taking more calls whist stationary if this keeps up!

Attachments

• 802BCCAC-ABAF-4EB8-BB7B-AC695AA4B49F.jpeg
    802BCCAC-ABAF-4EB8-BB7B-AC695AA4B49F.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 111EA47A-E373-4080-A02A-4BA337998571.jpeg
    111EA47A-E373-4080-A02A-4BA337998571.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 139
Continued from #6 above
So in total 276 miles covered started at 100% let’s say 48 kw usable of that plus around 10 kw added at my sons house, then another 18kw at instavolt Corley

DA5D93E9-41C0-40F7-A00D-6D64989D3A94.jpeg

That’s 76 Kw less the 3% I had left lets call it 75 Kw works out about 3.68 miles per KW so to get back onto Billy’s thread a full 100% charge on the 5 in these conditions of mainly motorway well around 250 miles of it with cruise set at 63mph in E1 heater on almost all the way but not on E-co with temperatures of around 6 degrees at the start and 2 at the end the 5 SR should do around 176 miles but as Stuart quoted above a bit less if you drive faster as he does.

Sorry a bit drawn out I know,but may also give new comers to EVs a better idea of what to expect.

Les

P.s. Bum got better after a visit to the loo.

Agree with those above. I plan for 175 summer and 120 winter. I have to say I drive at the speed limit mostly and always have heating, heated seats, AC, radio etc on as required. I find "summer" figures are good down to around 10c below 6c seems to have an expediential impact as the temp drops. Bonus last few morning is the rapid defrost as you don't have to wait for ICE warm up had a few neighbours surprised to see me drive off all clear while they are still scraping:) (y)
Your 6 deg figure is interesting as I always assumed when talking about winter driving, we were talking 1or 2 deg until today. My wife usually just uses the car on local trips and rarely notices the need to charge let alone the consumption, but today I went out on a reasonable long journey and was rather shocked at 6 deg to see the consumption plummet from my normal 4m/KWh down to 2.9 and it only just touched 3 at a push. It just meant a 10 minute top up mid journey, but I can concur with your figures 100%.

I’ve just completed a round trip of 232miles , started with 97 % and arrived on 17 %. Rapid charge to 93% and ended at home with 17%. So as I see it I have used 156% to do 232miles. This was fast motorway most of the way at 80 mph. I was in Eco setting with KERS 3.
the first photograph shows the trip record for the journey averaging 2.8 mile per KWHr, travelling at lower speeds I have been averaging 3.1.
I took the second photo 6 minutes later as I had been stationary on the phone with the car still turned on and heater on.
So on the left the % had changed from 98 to 97 but what caught my eye was the guess o meter had gone up by twenty miles from 186 to 206 miles. I will be taking more calls whist stationary if this keeps up!
Well Sido, hope not to many Police officers especially motorway officers see this admission of doing 80mph in your car on our motorways, plus the rest of your figures make little or no sense to me I.e 232 miles would take around 2.9 hours at 80 mph not 6.5 hours as in your pictures which also states your average speed was 35 mph then 232 miles would take 6.5 hours Apologies if I’m reading this wrong
Les

Well Sido, hope not to many Police officers especially motorway officers see this admission of doing 80mph in your car on our motorways, plus the rest of your figures make little or no sense to me I.e 232 miles would take around 2.9 hours at 80 mph not 6.5 hours as in your pictures which also states your average speed was 35 mph then 232 miles would take 6.5 hours Apologies if I’m reading this wrong
Les
Well Les, To get to a motorway I have about three quarters of an hour both ways of speed restrictions of 30 mph even 20 mph close to home, lots of traffic light where I spend a lot of time at 0 mph.When on the motorway I was in the middle lane most of the time with many cars coming past me in outside lane who I think would be of much greater interest to police officers on our motorways. Unfortunately our motorways also have roadworks with speed restriction for umpteen miles with average speed cameras set at 40 mph. And whilst most of my journey was on the motorway sadly motorways haven’t found there way to North Devon yet but the A 361 can be quite a fast road again apart from the miles of speed limited roadwork. This is real world mileage and consumption on what was a longish run for me. Eighty is not my normal motorway speed but I was going to a dental appointment and could not afford to be late. I hope this helps you make sense of the readings.

I've been able to get (easily) 220miles in summertime dropping as low as 150 when the temperature is below zero. Basically anything below 10c and I notice a big drop in range.
I do a lot of very mixed driving but very little high speed motorway.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom