• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 Rear Brake Discs corroded, 3700 miles in, + bonus other issues

Deleted member 9692

Reaction score
Took my car to dealer this morning for the R33 upgrade and fix for driver awareness feature plus other bits.

I was noticing that the parking brake was binding and I was hearing a scoring noise when braking. Just had call to say that both rear discs are significantly corroded and will need replacement. My car has 3700 miles on the clock, luckily I have an excellent dealer and they will get done what needs to be done. Still shocking to me though.

I know there are other threads covering my other issues but thought I'd update in this post as dealer has updates on these.

1. Rumbling/vibration - my car was not balanced correctly when it left factory, 3 of 4 wheels significantly out. Had re balanced twice, once at my cost, better but still not right. Test drive with engineer this morning, and then test drove the demonstrator which was even worse than mine! Dealer agrees that tyres are the likely cause and they will come back to me next week with a proposal, dealer agrees car not satisfactory in current state.

2. Passenger door lock has failed meaning that button does not work to unlock. Needs new handle.

3. Drivers foot rest broken. Temp repair by tech is very good, waiting for replacement.

4. LKA still dangerous and has to be switched off every time after restart. Tech is of the opinion that there will be no further update to this and the functionality is intentional. I'm not at all happy with that, action by me yet to be determined.

5. Scheduled charging broken. We hope fixed by R33 update but not tested yet.

6. Cannot preheat car while plugged in. Known issue, acknowledged by MG but no date for fix communicated.

As an interesting aside, there was another Trophy in for R33 update today with mine. Tech told me that new breather fitted but started leaking again, he wasnt sure what the fix will be.

The only reason I haven't rejected my car is that the dealership are so good with me. I feel that we can get the problems resolved and I would like to as I like the car. I honestly don't think I will ever buy another MG though, not because of my dealer, because of MG and how they handle things. Tech told me today that if he has an issue with Nissan (other marque they deal with) then he gets a reply often within the hour but always quickly, MG can take days and need frequent chasing and often don't provide solution or an ETA for it.

Hammonds dealership 9.5/10 from me, MG a generous 1/10

The dealer makes all the difference, their communication seems excellent, the fact that they are so open and honest with you, to the point of sharing your frustrations, with MG, would at least give me the confidence that if I left my car with them they had it totally in hand (even if MG don't)

Your brakes have likely worn out because the caliper pins are not greased, mine were jamming on from day 1 .
Looks like everyone should raise this with their dealer.

They haven’t worn out. The discs are corroded.

They haven’t worn out. The discs are corroded.
Some EVs suffer from this due to lack of brake usage (because of regen), probably a good idea to turn off regen and do some heavy braking every now and then.

I don't know if this is the same issue but I have heard about similar with other marques.

Some EVs suffer from this due to lack of brake usage (because of regen), probably a good idea to turn off regen and do some heavy braking every now and then.

I don't know if this is the same issue but I have heard about similar with other marques.
I just saw something on YouTube which said the brakes are used when traffic jam assist & adaptive cruise is/are activated.

I thought that the MG4 used regen during adaptive cruise? I know it was/is one of the complaints about the ZS that it used friction brakes.

I thought that the MG4 used regen during adaptive cruise? I know it was/is one of the complaints about the ZS that it used friction brakes.
Only if the battery pack has sufficient capacity to accept regen and if the pack temperature is above a preset level, if it doesn't it uses the brakes to control speed.

Only if the battery pack has sufficient capacity to accept regen and if the pack temperature is above a present level, if it doesn't it uses the brakes to control speed.
At least it uses regen - the ZS only used the friction brakes, which is such a waste on an EV.

Does braking still regen up to a point though? I use low regen most of the time as I prefer it as the feels smoother to run. I do see regen go up when I'm braking though..

They won't even stretch to lights in the back and your after ceramic discs 😉
Lol.... it would definitely be the answer, but I suspect the car would come with seats as an optional extra to cover the cost

But.. a good set of after market drilled & coated discs may certainly help matters

Re the brakes not being used, I did 55k miles in my BMW i3 which has strong regen, true 1 pedal driving. Every time I had the car serviced they commented that there was minimal wear on the brake pads front and rear, as expected, yet the discs were in great shape. They didn’t look anything special or expensive to me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Regular backwards braking helps the rear discs. I reverse downhill off my drive and you’d be surprised how it keeps the rear discs ‘clean’.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back