Rear chrome trim, oh dear!!

Paulie68

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So, I gave the car a really thorough clean today. Pleased to report after 12 months the paint is still all great and all the original MG chrome is still perfect.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the MG supplied Chrome accessory trim for the bottom of the tailgate. This is clearly sourced from some cheap nasty supplier and is like what cheap Chinese stuff used to be, rubbish!

At 12 months old all the chrome is bubbling and lifting off on mine now we've had a few weeks of winter road spray on it. Really poor show!

In my case it came with the car as an ex demonstrator, and I don't love the fact its really for the petrol, so doesn't match the matt silver bumper trims below. As a result, I'm not bothered about pursuing a warranty claim and have just removed it, but you might want to check yours if you have one fitted.

What's the warranty period on accessories anyone?

Picture below for reference.

20210108_141947_resized.jpg

So, I gave the car a really thorough clean today. Pleased to report after 12 months the paint is still all great and all the original MG chrome is still perfect.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the MG supplied Chrome accessory trim for the bottom of the tailgate. This is clearly sourced from some cheap nasty supplier and is like what cheap Chinese stuff used to be, rubbish!

At 12 months old all the chrome is bubbling and lifting off on mine now we've had a few weeks of winter road spray on it. Really poor show!

In my case it came with the car as an ex demonstrator, and I don't love the fact its really for the petrol, so doesn't match the matt silver bumper trims below. As a result, I'm not bothered about pursuing a warranty claim and have just removed it, but you might want to check yours if you have one fitted.

What's the warranty period on accessories anyone?

Picture below for reference.

View attachment 1046
I would have thought a minimum 12 month warranty but should last a lot longer for what they cost.
Definitely take it back!!

I assume it's metal then, you would think it would be made of plastic being exposed to the muck that's thrown up at the rear.
Not quite as bad as my 52 year old Morris Minor's rear lights though.

I assume it's metal then, you would think it would be made of plastic being exposed to the muck that's thrown up at the rear.
Not quite as bad as my 52 year old Morris Minor's rear lights though.
No, it's plastic with the chrome surfacing like most of it is today, when done cheaply the chrome surface corrodes, but done well it lasts the lifetime of a car. I'm pretty sure MG are buying these in from a "cheap" aftermarket supplier, even though they charge about £60 for them!

Ironically, you can actually buy a polished stainless steel version, which really will last forever for about a third of the MG offerings price over on Aliexpress!

In vintage VW circles, your Moggies rear light pitting would be referred to as "Patina" ;)

I was thinking of getting one these to fit ,either from MG or Ebay .but probably not bother now . Wherever you buy it from and whatever price you pay ,it is probably sourced from the same manufacturer and will suffer the same corrosion .

I was thinking of getting one these to fit ,either from MG or Ebay .but probably not bother now . Wherever you buy it from and whatever price you pay ,it is probably sourced from the same manufacturer and will suffer the same corrosion .
MG/SAIC should get their act together on this, the chrome on the rest of the car is of high quality, there is simply no excuse for low quality tat like this trim.

There are some on Aliexpress that are actually made from polished stainless steel, they will outlast the car and if they do dull over time, metal polish will bring it up like new. If I actually wanted another, that's what I'd buy.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom